Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Those that greet others first are blessed. Shy people.......

Mevater

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 9:07 am
are uncomfortable about doing that.

How do shy people put this into action, if their nature makes it very difficult for them?

What is the exact Possuk, and does anyone know about the specific rewards of doing so?

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 9:25 am
Ease of doing a mitzvah has nothing to do with whether one should do the mitzvah or not. The fact that it is difficult for those of us (such as me) who find asserting oneself in such a fashion, not only difficult, but emotionally discomforting, doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

I haven't heard of this before, so I haven't really the information I would need to answer the question from a halachic stance but here goes.

Practice first when you know you will have the chance to greet someone before hand. Perhaps you hear someone new is moving into the neighborhood. Bring a small gift, food, flowers, some things that everyone needs when they first move in but may have forgotten to bring with them: toilet paper, tissues, paper plates, or perhaps a list of all the important places in the neighborhood; Mikvahs, all the different shuls, even the ones that aren't your derech (and write next to them Modern Orthdox, Charedi, a bit about each if you know the info, such as "Lots of kids under 13". But all positive info.) restaurants and stores (flower shops, cleaners etc.), gemachs. You could do this research anytime and have a small booklet printed, nice colors and styling, just from your computer. Also include your name, and phone number. Think of a nice greeting you can give. Practice smiling the whole way there. As you approach the house, take a deep breath, and utter a small prayer to Hashem that you be successful in greeting them, that you make them feel welcome and wanted.

Think about ways you can greet someone who you come upon suddenly. "Hi, welcome, I'm so glad to see you" whatever, depending on the situation. Practice the words in your mind and do the deep breath quick prayer thing.

Let yourself know that it is your actions that count here, not their response. You are responsible for how you treat your fellow Jew, they are responsible for how they respond to you.

Don't be upset with yourself if you can't be the first to give a greeting. It is okay... Everyone gets a turn at bat so to speak. There is always another day.

greenfire

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 11:02 am
maybe the talkative people make up for that Mr. Green
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics