Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Do you play the guitar? What do you think?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 11:11 pm
Would love to learn how to play guitar. Haven't found the right teacher yet, should I start on my own? I'm a real beginner. I can borrow a book from a friend, but don't even have a guitar yet! So do you think I can be my own teacher?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 9:46 am
Bump

Optione

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 10:08 am
If your have an ear for music then yes.
If you don't have an ear for music, then still yes.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 10:12 am
Optione wrote:
If your have an ear for music then yes.
If you don't have an ear for music, then still yes.

Thank you! I'm so excited to start! Now, do you think I can buy a cheap guitar let's say from Walmart and later on upgrade?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 12:21 pm
I don't know how to play but it has been my lifelong dream! If you are willing to try to teach yourself then definitely go for it! And then when you become a rock star can you please teach it to me??? I've tried to teach it to myself but haven't been successful.....

cnc

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 12:25 pm
I know people that taught themselves from YouTube videos.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 12:33 pm
I have a guitar and would love to learn but haven't figured it out yet.

spikta

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 12:54 pm
For sure! I taught myself on a cheapo second hand guitar. I'm not very good, but I can play the chords to some songs, enough to sing along, and that was my goal really. Besides that there are tons of instructional videos online.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 1:31 pm
spikta wrote:
For sure! I taught myself on a cheapo second hand guitar. I'm not very good, but I can play the chords to some songs, enough to sing along, and that was my goal really. Besides that there are tons of instructional videos online.

How did you teach it to yourself? Have you gone for music lessons when you were a child?

happy2Bamommy

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 7:55 pm
Bump

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 8:07 pm
I taught myself guitar as a teen, then took some classes to get to the next level. Now, I teach it.

If you know anything about music, it's pretty straightforward, and even if you don't, you can learn.

I like the Mel Bay instructional books. Very self explanatory. You learn about individual notes, how chords are put together, then how to play them.

Online instructional videos are great, too.

You're better off spending a bit more for a good used guitar than buying a totally cheapo one that doesn't hold the tuning. Ask around; one of your family or friends may have an old one they're not using. Otherwise, Craigslist is worth checking out. A beginner should get a six string acoustic with decent reviews. Nylon strings might be just a little easier on beginner fingers than steel, but are slightly farther apart, requiring more of a hand stretch eventually.

For those who are nervous, ukulele is even cheaper and easier.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 8:33 pm
Thank you imasinger! Will look into craigslist. Was also thinking of stopping buy at a guitar center. Would spend up to $100. And they can tune it for me. I'm already watching some videos and I'm looking forward! In the meantime I'm exploring cords on my dusty keyboard! Which of these 2 is easier and faster to learn?

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 8:38 pm
Keyboard requires less callouses, but some people find they are able to get to the level of playing that feels satisfactory more quickly with guitar. I think it's an individual thing, and worth trying both.

You can go into Guitar Center just to try some things out, and not buy right away, if you want.

And they have keyboards, too -- and IME the staff is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts