Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Frum magazines are attacking sheital weairing women?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:22 am
I'm a frum woman who wears a sheital that I love. its long by frum standards (halfway between my chin and my shoulders).

Am I the only one who feels that all the frum magazines have been on a rant against sheital wearing women. Is it just me or are they now pushing us to chuck our shietals in favor of turbans etc.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:30 am
This debate has been raging for ages. It comes and goes in cycles.

Wear what you like! IMHO, there is no "wrong" way to cover your hair.

If you are keen to keep to your community standards, ask your friends or or rebbetzin.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:34 am
I don't think they're attacking sheitel wearers, just promoting scarf wearers.
Btw in regard to the article in the Mishpacha, I could not understand one thing: why can't this woman differentiate between her wig, which she writes is long/glamorous/whatever, and a perfectly tsnius wig? she's jumping from extreme to extreme, when in reality she could choose to buy a more tsnius wig. Everyone knows deep down that some wigs are more tsnius than others. Why is she hiding from that fact and making the assumption that wearing a tichel is the only answer?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:38 am
I haven't seen it, but again in France it just wouldn't work, I see the trend is on longer and longer

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:40 am
I found it interesting that the author of the Mishpacha series kept on reiterating that all sources say that tichel wearing is the most preferable way of covering. Is that across the board?
Didn't the Lubavitcher Rebbe say that it is preferable to wear a wig?

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:41 am
I found it interesting that the author of the Mishpacha series kept on reiterating that all sources say that tichel wearing is the most preferable way of covering. Is that across the board?

malkacooks

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:42 am
I've noticed this too. Dont get mishpacha but in binah they have been making passive aggressive comments on this slipped into articles for a while.

Things like "as I became more frum I got rid of all my sheitals"
or "I've asked the sheitalmacher to cut mine to my ears" after being inspired

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:46 am
Perhaps OT, and I don't know where you live, but I don't think that a sheitel that's halfway between your chin and your shoulders is long at all. You should see what the new kallahs in Brooklyn all seem to be wearing these days! I was waiting for you to say that it's long and goes to your behind, but halfway to your shoulders?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:48 am
in live in NY but not brooklyn. I do feel the pressure though because I work in a slightly more chareidi school...

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:49 am
amother wrote:
I'm a frum woman who wears a sheital that I love. its long by frum standards (halfway between my chin and my shoulders).

That's actually very short for many very frum communities. Even in chassidish communities the length is usually shoulder length. Where do you live?

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:56 am
I wonder if she meant to write halfway in between her shoulder and back?

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 12:04 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Btw in regard to the article in the Mishpacha, I could not understand one thing: why can't this woman differentiate between her wig, which she writes is long/glamorous/whatever, and a perfectly tsnius wig? she's jumping from extreme to extreme, when in reality she could choose to buy a more tsnius wig. Everyone knows deep down that some wigs are more tsnius than others. Why is she hiding from that fact and making the assumption that wearing a tichel is the only answer?

It's not the only answer, but she has a point. Many woman feel that when they get a shaitel, it may as well be long, and very natural looking. Woman tend to want to look super pretty, not just put together. I'm just like this. I can't give up my stunning appearance, and since I feel that long and too natural / striking sheitels are not what Hashem has in mind when he created this mitzva, I'd rather go for a beautiful scarf that matches my clothes and feel good with myself, than opt for a synthetic or boring wig that doesn't do anything to my look.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:

Am I the only one who feels that all the frum magazines have been on a rant against sheital wearing women. Is it just me or are they now pushing us to chuck our shietals in favor of turbans etc.

Nopes. Not at all. I do see a lot of shaitel companies advertise in them though.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 12:15 pm
I've seen women look super hot in a well cut and styled short sheitel. It just needs to have an amazing cut. IF someone chooses not to wear long there are other options.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 12:40 pm
cnc wrote:

Yes the Rebbe did say that it is best to wear a wig and it should be a beautiful one that one is comfortable wearing

yogabird

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 12:48 pm
I just get a good laugh when I see the journal of a tichel wearer alongside ads for custom wigs and the diary of a family going paleo alongside recipes full of pareve whip, margarine and sugar.

Goes to show how sincere the magazines are about what they print.

Not.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 12:53 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the Mishpacha series!! Why not just get a less glamorous sheitel?

I would also venture to say that a woman who is striving for a glamorous look in a tichel could look less tzniyusdik than a woman who is trying for a non-glamorous look in a sheitel.

Anyone who is striving to grow in tzniyus is commendable, but I think that women who choose to wear only more simple sheitels are at least as commendable as those who choose to wear only tichels.

farm

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 12:59 pm
Also pretty annoyed with the 4 part tichel series in Mishpacha. The whole thing was annoying and hypocritical in many ways.
-The author wants to be more tznius, yet is OBSESSED about everyone else looking at her and talking about her and judging her for her head covering.
-The author wants to follow "daas torah" yet second and third guesses the rav that told her she SHOULD wear a sheitel, and not a tichel, to her daughter's high school open house.
-The author wants to look more refined, yet talks about how the tichel brings out her eyes and cheekbones, makes her look radiant and regal- doesn't she want to look like the wallpaper and not draw attention to herself?
-The author discussing how she is soooo inspired and finally has a true understanding of kisui rosh, how the purpose of hair covering is to announce to the world that she is a married woman. Um, hello? According to what (primary) source? We cover our hair from the passuk in parshas Naso- isha sotah. The end. Not because the world needs to know that we are married. They don't.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:12 pm
I have found that a lot of sefardi women who are baalei teshuva are the ones pushing for no shaitels. They key is to be tznius. Everyone should have a rav to go by and if your rav says that a shaitel is fine there is no need to listen to a different rav. My friend was so anti shaitels. She had all types of hats and scarves as did many of her friends who were all sefardi baalei teshuva. It was nice that they tried so hard to do the right thing and be tzanua the way they were taught. Many years later this friend is wearing a shaitel - nothing custom or glamorous. She realized that very often hairs would stick out from her scarves and wearing a shaitel is more refined and tzanua. As with everything is life there is a middle ground. Very often baalei teshuva will go to an extreme.

das

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 1:14 pm
yogabird wrote:
I just get a good laugh when I see the journal of a tichel wearer alongside ads for custom wigs and the diary of a family going paleo alongside recipes full of pareve whip, margarine and sugar.

Goes to show how sincere the magazines are about what they print.

Not.

I haven't read the wig series but I believe Mishpacha is trying to entertain you by bringing you varying view points, not teach you their life philosophy. When I read secular mag and I read about a guy who hunts his own meat because he thinks thats the ethical way of eating meat, I'm not surprised to see instructions on how to have your butcher trim your meat on the next page.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room