Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Charitable organization wants to run lives
Previous  1  2

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 5:47 am
If your husband was approached, then someone maybe referred you? And if you aren't interested in the help, just say "no thank you". However, having started the process, it seems to me that you are at least a little interested, or you wouldn't be so frustrated that they're trying to impose changes on you that you are not able or ready to make in order to get the assistance. In which case, who approached who is largely irrelevant.

Chocolate Moose, public vs. private school/yeshiva IS an option, even for the most observant among us. Chinuch starts at home. If you can afford yeshiva tuition to re-inforce those lessons, how nice. If you can't, you just have to work at it a bit more in private. (I know a LOT of people who survived in the public school world without going off the derech...it's because their parents cared. I also know a LOT of people who went to yeshiva and went off the derech...because their parents expected the school to do the parents' job.)

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 10:38 am
Quote:
It is entirely possible to be healthy without meat. I know frum families who are vegetarian and are healthier than meat eaters.

I think this would cause problems in France, to tell your doc you never give your children red meat or never have it during pregnancy. They would force you to do tons of annoying exams.
When I grew up, red meat was twice a day and raw meat 2/3x a week.

Quote:
I know a LOT of people who survived in the public school world without going off the derech...it's because their parents cared. I also know a LOT of people who went to yeshiva and went off the derech...because their parents expected the school to do the parents' job.

I agree.
A good number of Jews though prefer Catholic school for the dress code and s-x separation.
But I don't recommend doing it unless the child has the right personality. Being the only frum Jew, or the only Jew around can be demotivating to many.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 10:46 am
Ruchel wrote:

Quote:
I know a LOT of people who survived in the public school world without going off the derech...it's because their parents cared. I also know a LOT of people who went to yeshiva and went off the derech...because their parents expected the school to do the parents' job.

I agree.
A good number of Jews though prefer Catholic school for the dress code and s-x separation.
But I don't recommend doing it unless the child has the right personality. Being the only frum Jew, or the only Jew around can be demotivating to many.

What is your aim? A child who keeps mitzvot and doesn't go off the derech, or a knowledgeable, committed talmid chacham/ Jewish woman?

Jews have always been willing to go hungry and ensure their children have as good a Jewish education as possible.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 11:26 am
Marion wrote:
Chocolate Moose, public vs. private school/yeshiva IS an option, even for the most observant among us. Chinuch starts at home. If you can afford yeshiva tuition to re-inforce those lessons, how nice. If you can't, you just have to work at it a bit more in private. (I know a LOT of people who survived in the public school world without going off the derech...it's because their parents cared. I also know a LOT of people who went to yeshiva and went off the derech...because their parents expected the school to do the parents' job.)

I don’t see how even the most dedicated parent can - and the most brilliant child can learn - an entire day’s work in yeshiva in a few hours at night.

shoshb

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 10:51 am
I have heard that more and more and more people are home-schooling. They can't afford tuition, yet the prospect of public school is so frightening. I guess they hire a Rebbe for a few hours each day to teach the boys. I'd love to learn more about it. It may be a good alternative.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:09 am
To the last few posters. What world on you on?!?!

chavamom

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:58 am
There are an increasing number of people homeschooling, esp. in the "out of town" communities. I homeschooled one of my kids for a year when we had schooling issues and not good options. He says it was the best year of his life schoolwise. But the drawbacks are that frum schools don't just provide education, but there is a huge socialization component involved. To think that a mother should just take her kids out of school and homeschool them to provide an adequate frum education is not realistic for most people in most situations.

deedee

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 1:42 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Quote:
It is entirely possible to be healthy without meat. I know frum families who are vegetarian and are healthier than meat eaters.

I think this would cause problems in France, to tell your doc you never give your children red meat or never have it during pregnancy. They would force you to do tons of annoying exams.
When I grew up, red meat was twice a day and raw meat 2/3x a week.

shock u ate raw meat!!! there are lots of other ways to get iron...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics