Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Im yirtzeh hashem or be'ezras hashem

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 9:31 am
When do you use each? What's the difference? Thanks!

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 10:11 am
I use IYH because that's the term my family used. However, someone once "corrected" me and said "BEH" about something. her take was "IYH" is for something that's already planned and set up, while BEH is for something you hope will happen but is not yet in the works. So, for example, if your dd has a date set up for next month, you would say "IYH when you go out with Schmendrick, wear your new shoes" but "BEH when you get married I'll wear my new shoes." Or was it the reverse?

Quite frankly, I think it makes zero difference and is just a matter of personal preference, like saying A"H vs. Z"L . I grew up saying A"H and never heard Z"L till adulthood. Nowadays I almost never hear A"H.

queenert

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 11:45 am
Interesting!
I like beH better because I like the idea of sprinkling in the fact that I need Hashem's help into conversation...hopefully it'll get into my psyche.
imH seems a little more snobby...like, I've got it all planned and if Hashem decides it's okay with him...
Just my take...

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 1:24 pm
A high school teacher once told my class that IYH is applicable when you are referring to something that you want to do - IyH I will go swimming tonight. While BEZH is applicable when you are referring to a mitzvah you'd like to perform - BezH I will be visiting grandma tonight.

anony

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 1:29 pm
queenert wrote:
Interesting!
I like beH better because I like the idea of sprinkling in the fact that I need Hashem's help into conversation...hopefully it'll get into my psyche.
imH seems a little more snobby...like, I've got it all planned and if Hashem decides it's okay with him...
Just my take...

My thoughts exactly! I feel like IYH is saying "if Hashem decides He WANTS to help" whereas bezras Hashem acknowledges that I NEED his help.

Also, I try not to overuse the phrase. I recognize that Hashem is involved in every part of our life, but I only use bezras Hashem over something that I recognize I have very little control over (for example, bezras Hashem I will attend that wedding 10months from now, but anything can happen in between!!)

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 1:50 pm
IYH. If Hashem wills it (ratzon)

I think this thing will happen in the future but TBH I have no idea because it is not in my power. It will only happen IYH - if Hashem wills it

Applies to areas outside my free will (most things) (hakol byadei shamayim....)

BEH with Hashem's help (Ezra)

I want to do this (good) thing but I can't do it on my own, it will only happen BEH - with Hashem's help

Applies to areas where I have some control (spiritual matters) (....chutz myirat shamayim)

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 2:52 pm
IYH- is like saying if Hashem wants it to happen then it will happen
But BEH is like saying it will happen - because of course Hashem wants it to happen so there is no option of it not happening
So you say BEH in terms of having a child, refua Sheilma... :arrow:
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics