Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
ISO Architect without degree? Lakewood
1  2  Next

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 1:09 pm
Hi, we are exploring the possibility of a career for DH in architecture. However, based on my research, it seems like many years of schooling is required before taking the exams. Does anyone know of people working in architecture or in a similar field in Lakewood NJ where he would get on the job training? There are so many builders in Lakewood so what's the job potential in this area? Thank you very much for any information.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 1:30 pm
He won't be able to be an architect and sign off on plans without a license.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 1:37 pm
If he wants to be an architect, he has to get the degree and study for the exams for the asa and get a license. And also put in the hours @ work under a licensed architect etc.

If he wants to be a designer he can try find a job that will give him on the job training but there is a lot of programs and rules etc to learn.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 1:39 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
If he wants to be an architect, he has to get the degree and study for the exams for the asa and get a license. And also put in the hours @ work under a licensed architect etc.

If he wants to be a designer he can try find a job that will give him on the job training but there is a lot of programs and rules etc to learn.

Thank you so much. What type of designer are you referring to?

sky

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 1:43 pm
Most of the very popular "space planners" in Lakewood are not architects but they design full additions, homes and renovations.
I believe they do the plans and give to an architect to sign off on - it is cheaper so many people go that route. I"ve also heard there are online courses for this, but don't know anything about it.
It is pretty busy field in Lakewood, we have called a few and the very good ones seem busy.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 1:47 pm
The "space planner" job for my DH sounds like it may be great for him. He is so good at figuring out plans and thinking how to make it comfortable for large families. He designed our renovations in our house by himself and the result was gorgeous. How can he go about in training for "space planning"? Thank you.

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 1:47 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
He won't be able to be an architect and sign off on plans without a license.

Maybe OP could move to Monsey. It is done all the time here. There is a well known "architect" who designs bigger buildings and large homes. He is not licensed. I was shocked when I found out because he has signage up with his name on the buildings under construction. I know of others.

cm

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 1:51 pm
He might do well as a kitchen and bath designer.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 1:56 pm
CAD Drafter? It only requires an associate's degree, AIUI.

Architects are responsible for ensuring the structural integrity of buildings and other structures. That the building can bear the appropriate load. That it won't leak. Etc etc etc. Its not really something that you can learn on the job.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 2:06 pm
You can try calling local people who do this and see if they can give you advice. LIke Blueprints or a similar company.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 2:07 pm
My mother did space planning many years ago. She has a degree in interior design. I think its an associates.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 2:07 pm
Certified building designer? http://ncbdc.com/why-be-certified/

You still need to pass many tests and need years of experience to earn this certification, which allows you to sign off on single family and small multi-family residential construction.
Long term, I'm considering getting it myself.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 2:09 pm
There is someone in my community who is insanely talented. She does kitchen and baths and specializes in kosher kitchens. I think it could be a great parnassah for your DH if he can market himself well.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 2:22 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
CAD Drafter? It only requires an associate's degree, AIUI.

Architects are responsible for ensuring the structural integrity of buildings and other structures. That the building can bear the appropriate load. That it won't leak. Etc etc etc. Its not really something that you can learn on the job.

In some cases these unlicensed architects produce house plans and the permitting is owner builder. That doesn't mean they know anything about planning effective HVAC systems or bearing loads. These homes may be built to code but still structurally unsound. I have a relative who hired one of these individuals to build a home. This turned into a nightmare when the house 'settled' since the designer was clueless about soils and the impact they have on construction.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 2:24 pm
Wow, thank you so much for all your information. You've given us a lot to think about!

sourstix

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 2:30 pm
Magenta I just wanted to say this, dh is somewhat in this field and told me of a house that almost fell apart because the owners wanted to cutout taking an structural engineer. And he also warned a few people that asked him his opinion. Turns out that dh knows a lot about this. He's in this field. Anyway it doesn't take a professor to know what is a weight bearing wall. You need to learn it. It's simple.

But if you don't know what your talking about and just do things because you think it's ok. Then this is what happens. I'm glad dh is honest when people ask him

Usually contractors know this stuff. Anyone in the building field.

sourstix

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 2:33 pm
Op, it's better if your dh does this legally. You wouldn't want to cause someone's house to fall apart. From heavy snow or something.

Anyway, if he wants to get in this field it's a good one for lakewooders

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 4:45 pm
Squishy wrote:
Maybe OP could move to Monsey. It is done all the time here. There is a well known "architect" who designs bigger buildings and large homes. He is not licensed. I was shocked when I found out because he has signage up with his name on the buildings under construction. I know of others.

Have you ever checked his plans to see if they are signed by licensed architects? Anyone can have their name on a sign. That's permissible. The question is who signs the plans.

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 5:15 pm
Maya wrote:
Have you ever checked his plans to see if they are signed by licensed architects? Anyone can have their name on a sign. That's permissible. The question is who signs the plans.

You can't hold yourself out as an architect unless you are one. You can't just put up a sign! That's crazy.

Yes, the drawings are stamped by a licensed architect. The problem with this that the architect doesn't review them close enough.

I was once involved with Bozo the Clown pretending to be an architect. I ended up running interference with a business owner and the planning board because of Bozo. The owner couldn't get his plans through. Bozo was not knowledgeable in things like fire rated doors. I had to find out from a real licensed professional and then explain it to him. Bozo made some changes in the drawings. Bozo then gave them to me for a stamp. I was flabbergasted. I took the drawings to the architect who stamped them without looking.

Bozo, the Building Inspector, the real licensed professional and I had several rounds doing the same dance because Bozo was not familiar with the code requirements for the type of buildings he designed.

My frustration lead me to find out more about this.

There is a feeling in certain circles that licenses are not needed because learning Torah prepares you to be able to do anything.

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:30 pm
So you dealt with an incompetent architectural designer. What does that have anything to do with putting up a sign with the name of the designer?

I don't understand what you are saying.
My husband owns an architectural firm. He himself is not yet eligible to take the exams before next year, but he employs licensed architects who review and then sign off on his designs and plans. It's perfectly legal. In fact, that is how one apprentices before applying for a license. So the firm can't bear his name because he's not licensed yet? Anyone can name a business however they want.

ETA: he can't say he's an architect (yet), but his business can be an architectural group, or any similar wording.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics