Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Does Cake Freeze Well?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 3:55 pm
If I make cake ahead of time can I put it in the freezer? Will it still be moist? I've always just made it fresh, so "cooking ahead" is new to me.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 3:57 pm
I've had hatzlochah. I just freeze it as soon as it's cool, wrapped up well, and even in a freezer bag if it fits. I have to cook all my food for RH today bc M-W I'm working 28 hours.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 4:03 pm
Cake freezes very well and tastes yummy even straight from the freezer Smile. Just wrap after it's completely cool - don't use tinfoil, it takes it's shape away and is hard to peel off - use parchment paper or wax paper and ziplocks...or, leave in the pan and freeze like that.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 4:06 pm
Oh really? I can actually leave it in the pan and it will come out easily? So I would take the pan and cover with parchment, then put the whole thing in a big plastic bag and freeze. Do I thaw it out in the bag and then try to get the cake out of the pan?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 4:06 pm
I don't eat much frozen foods anymore.....it's supposed to be cool over yomtov, you can bake tomorrow and it will stay fine out of the fridge or freezer for yomtov.

although I know honey cake freezes well, as does cheesecake.

greentiger

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 2:36 am
Yup. Frozen cake and ice cream -yum!

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 2:42 am
Most cakes freeze well. I don't freeze in the pan, because I don't have enough pans, and I tend to bake in batches (4 or 5 cakes at a time). I've never had a problem with a cake loosing its shape.

Don't open the package to defrost. You want the condensation on the foil/plastic wrap, not on the cake!

CAYA

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 3:44 pm
cake should freeze very well if u freeze it the right way, make sure its completely wrapped in silver foil or baking paper, mom always freezes and its delicious!

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 4:02 pm
yup air tight ... it's about the only thing that does freeze well ... however in my opinion a pan takes up too much room ... double zip lock baggies ...

cassandra

Post Mon, Sep 10 2007, 4:20 pm
IMO cake is the ONLY thing that freezes well (unfrosted, of course)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins