Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
11 y.o. DD refuses to wear sheer tights for pesach/summer
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 9:23 pm
I have the same question. My daughter is 11, and she wants to wear the nude pantyhose and I really hate it but will let her wear it. But now the bigger issue is that my 7 yr old also wants to wear it, because her older sister is wearing it, and now I'm really stuck.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 9:27 pm
I don't care if everyone else is doing it, it looks dumb. Start the next trend, it can't be soon enough. #sensory#I hate wearing pantyhose

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 9:30 pm
I’m not even talking about sensory here.. dd has to wear tights to school - she doesn’t have a problem with how it feels... I just don’t like it but don’t want her to stand out

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 9:33 pm
amother wrote:
I don't care if everyone else is doing it, it looks dumb. Start the next trend, it can't be soon enough. #sensory#I hate wearing pantyhose

My girls want to wear it. It's me who doesn't like it. So I'm not going to fight about it. I will try to get my 7 year old to wear knee socks, but don't see another option for my 11 year old. She doesn't want knee socks.
Wish it wasn't a community standard to cover legs but it is, so I have to get them something.

Simple1

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 9:34 pm
Last summer I noticed tween girls wearing nude/beige color cotton knee socks for shabbos. Maybe you can ask around and see if that's an option for this summer?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 9:43 pm
amother wrote:
My girls want to wear it. It's me who doesn't like it. So I'm not going to fight about it. I will try to get my 7 year old to wear knee socks, but don't see another option for my 11 year old. She doesn't want knee socks.
Wish it wasn't a community standard to cover legs but it is, so I have to get them something.

I would buy whatever the dd wants too. I like for kids to express themselves with clothing choices, its the artist in me. But I can have my own opinion Wink

yogabird

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 9:45 pm
amother wrote:
I have the same question. My daughter is 11, and she wants to wear the nude pantyhose and I really hate it but will let her wear it. But now the bigger issue is that my 7 yr old also wants to wear it, because her older sister is wearing it, and now I'm really stuck.
Why can't you tell 7 year old she has to wait until she's at least 11 just like big sister?

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 10:09 pm
yogabird wrote:
Why can't you tell 7 year old she has to wait until she's at least 11 just like big sister?

I will. Just don't want to cause a whole fight over clothing, but I think I'll be able to get her to wear her socks.

yogabird

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:
I will. Just don't want to cause a whole fight over clothing, but I think I'll be able to get her to wear her socks.
Do you let 7 year old wear makeup just because she asks for it? I put this in the same category.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 10:44 pm
Op here, it's so funny to see this a year later!!!

So I brought her a bunch of shabbos knee high socks, not cheap either. And after a few weeks she decided........she only wanted to wear nude pantyhose, and that's exactly what she did! Once she saw that everyone her age was doing it, she didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb. But she had to see that. And choose to do it on her own!

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 18 2018, 11:03 pm
I’m laughing OP because when I read your post I actually wondered if I had posted it! 😂 Even funnier, I could have written your last post too! After a few weeks wearing knee socks on Shabbos (of course we spent so much time finding the perfect socks to match each outfit) DD asked for stockings because she was the only one in socks! We should get our girls together!

zigi

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 1:03 am
lol, b/c of this post I bought some nude tights for dd. she liked it but hated the fact that they rip so easily- lol. I bought some more b/c it is hard to find cotton tights in white in womens sizes jrp goes up to size 12

Iymnok

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 5:33 am
Wow, good to see that it’s not only an issue here. Dd is 9 1/2 and is asking for nude tights. I was thinking those start around bas Mitzvah or highschool.
I put my girls in tights the winter after they’re potty trained. Generally 3 or 3 1/2. They learn early and don’t complain. They feel big when we switch.
My neighbor has a dd with many allergies, she gets rashes fron most things that are not cotton, so she wears leggings and socks. Next year in first grade, they are hoping to get special permission or find some miracle tights.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 6:37 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Force her to wear pantyhose on a hot sweaty day at 11...

At 18, she will have nose piercings and possibly a non-Jewish bf..

Seen it many timers unfortunately.... Crying Crying

Let's not go there please chas veshalom.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 9:07 am
Why are you checking the neighbors out to make sure ur dd doesn't look weird?! Who do the neighbors check out?! I love my taste. It doesn't change but gets influenced by whats available. I dont give a hoot about what the neighbors wear cuz honestly it's not my look. And my dd...she has her own taste too!! Not mine and not neighbors. So she wears what she likes. We never fight. Sometimes we find what we both like. If not than so be it. Seriously we need to stop putting so much focus on this. Ridiculous

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 9:16 am
amother wrote:
Why are you checking the neighbors out to make sure ur dd doesn't look weird?! Who do the neighbors check out?!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Great question. Who says "they" get to decide what's in style?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 9:25 am
My DD will be 10 this Shabbos. I bought her knee socks to match her Shabbos outfits. I moved to a new neighborhood this winter, and hope that's gonna fly here! In my old neighborhood, the girls wore knee socks at least till Bas Mitzvah on Shabbos.

I can't see her wearing nude just yet. No! She's my baby!

Optimystic

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:
Op again...I have a funny question for you all. You guys wouldn't honestly care if your kid was dressed totally different than all her age, and people thought you or she was weird?

I would definitely care. I hope I would still have the courage to let her make her own decisions about how to dress, as long as she is tznius and within school guidelines.

Being OOT most of my life, I have lots of experience with others thinking I was weird, and I have learned when to compromise and when not to. It is a good skill to have. I am with everyone who says to let her make this decision on her own.

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 3:55 pm
$5 for an eleven year old??? I heard Primark opened up in the USA. If you can get to one I get knee high and sheer tights for much much less. shock
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics