Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Wet Wrap Therapy is giving my eczema son relief

blueboys

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 12:37 am
I'm posting this as it might help someone relieve their (or their child's) eczema like it is doing for my son.
My 3 year has had eczema from when he was a baby. We did allergy testing, but even after being off all the foods he's allergic to his eczema is still there. He has very bad eczema and is always itching, day & night. I have been moisturizing him twice a day, but it didn't help much.
I started doing now (it's been a week so far) WET WRAP THERAPY once a day, including friday & motzai shabbos. His skin is so much better, he doesn't itch so much and he's sleeping better too.
I know this is not a cure, but if you want some relief & better quality life without so much itching, you might want to try this. It's a little bit of work, but it pays.

Here is the process

1-Soak in a bathtub filled with lukewarm water for 15-20 minutes. You can add a few drops of a moisturizing or soothing oil to the bath water if you wish. Nothing else should be added. Make sure the areas of the body to treat stay fully submerged in the water.
2-Pat (never rub) dry with a cotton towel.
3-Immediately (within 2-3 minutes) moisturize the skin with the cream or balm/salve, making sure to liberally apply on the areas of the body that need treating. The skin should be very moist when finished. You may need to go back and apply another layer in some areas before moving to the next step. The first 2 nights I put cortisone in the very bad areas to heal them.
4-Wet one layer of clothing (100% white cotton) or bandages in warm, not hot, water. Wring them out until damp, not too wet or dripping. Dress in this layer of warm, damp clothing or bandages fully covering the areas of eczema to treat.
5-Cover the damp layer with a dry layer of clothing (slightly larger) or bandages.
6-Leave the wet and dry layer on for a minimum of two hours, or overnight.
8-Check the temperature of the room to ensure comfort. It shouldn’t be too hot, too cold, or too breezy (if there is a fan).
9-After at least two hours, remove the clothing or bandages and completely moisturize the skin again with the creams or balm/salve.
10-Dress as usual.
If you want to see a video that shows this check this one in you tube: "Wet Wrapping for Eczema (National Jewish Health Style)". I especially liked that they showed how to do the face, as that's where my son's eczema is the worst.
You can do it twice a day, 1 in the morning & then at night before going to sleep. I just do it at night before he goes to sleep as he goes to school in the morning.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 10:34 am
Google Red Skin Syndrome/Topical Steroid Withdrawal.

blueboys

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 11:34 am
I try to avoid the cortisone as much as possible, but when it gets super bad I put it on. Even then I use it as little I can, I don't want him to get infected. We were already in the hospital when he was little because of infection.
Having said that, what are my options? What else can I do? Is a dermatologist going to help me? Do you know of a good one in New York who accepts united healthcare?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 12:17 pm
Curious about your son's facial eczema. My son also has horrible, horrible eczema and his face (due to food reactions) is horrendous...so how do you keep that fully submerged in water like you said to do?

(BTW, I found that swimming in a chlorinated pool really helped him, though if your 3 yo is not a swimmer yet, his face won't get so much water on it. The chlorine kills off the infections that brew on the scratched eczema.)

blueboys

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 12:47 pm
I have a cotton piece of material (from an old undershirt) which I make wet, put it on his face (he calls it a white beard) & hold it in place as much as he lets me. He also likes to swim without putting his whole head under the water.This keeps his chin wet, that's where he has it the worst ( he has also a little bit on the cheeks).

anonymrs

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 1:34 pm
Just stop using the cortisone. I know what it's like, I really do. The wet wraps are fantastic. I did them twice a day for my daughter and moisturized every hour throughout the day, alternating moisturizers; Cerave Healing Ointment, Aquaphor, Vaniply ointment, and Aveeno eczema therapy. It was rough, but bh she healed and we are a few years later and have no problems. If you'd like, you can pm me your email address and I'll send you some pics of her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics