Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Guitar

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 10:30 am
hi!
I want to buy a guitar for my 6 year old son. I don't want to spend too much, but I want it to be better quality than just a toy. any leads?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 1:23 pm
Where do u live n how much would u spend? I live in Brooklyn, bought nice kid size beginner guitar from music store on Forster Ave. approx $80 (including case maybe)

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 1:27 pm
Check out Natural Acoustic Guitar at zulily

https://www.zulily.com/invite/.....94246
I don't know about the quality but it's definitely a great price...

imasinger

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 4:20 pm
I teach guitar. I strongly recommend NOT shopping online for a musical instrument, unless you are very well informed.

Your best bet is to find a friend or relative with an old guitar they can let him borrow.

Unless he is very small for his age, or has very weak fingers, he should be able to have fun with a full sized instrument, even though it would be a little large. The first months to a year will be spent on doing things that don't require a large hand.

After that, if he still is enjoying it, take him to a reputable music store and let him play a bunch of instruments to see what he likes, and then, either buy him one there, or look online locally for a used make and model he likes.

Keep in mind that if you will be paying for lessons, the cost of an instrument is a fraction of what you will be spending. It makes a whole lot more sense to get something decent than to look for the cheapest thing, and have him lose interest because the strings keep going out of tune or breaking.

ETA:. If you want to order a smaller guitar online anyway, this is a decent instrument.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....=UTF8

Last edited by imasinger on Thu, Feb 09 2017, 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 5:15 pm
Off topic slightly, but I am giving my kids piano lessons now. I keep wondering how I would know if they are better suited or more inclined towards another instrument.eaning, my questions is, how does one choose an instrument for their child to learn?

imasinger

Post Thu, Feb 09 2017, 5:22 pm
Piano is a great instrument for starting. You can make music on it right away, while some instruments take time to learn to even play a few notes.

If a kid isn't excited about playing it, either they will tell you which instrument they'd rather learn, or they will let it be known that they are overwhelmed and not wanting to practice, regardless of the instrument.

In the latter case, you have to know yourself and your child (and the child's teacher) to see whether it is worth the battle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts