Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Anyone have a recipe for this salad?

greeneyes

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 12:51 pm
I was recently at a sheva brachos and they served this salad that was really good so I'd like to try and replicate it. It had lettuce, whole almonds (I think they were the roasted ones), craisins, red onion and a sweet mustard dressing. I've made similar salads in the past but never this exact combination... If anyone has a recipe for something like this that would be awesome! Very Happy

Lani22

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 1:03 pm
I would just try to replicate a sweet mustard dressing. Maybe mayo, dijon mustard, honey or sugar, salt & pepper....

greeneyes

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 1:11 pm
That sounds good...I'm just the kinda girl that just loves an exact recipe LOL ...but if I don't find anything I will definitely try that...thanks so much.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 3:13 pm
I was going to make a similar recipe, when I realized that it has nuts! And we dont eat nuts on Rosh hashana. Do you not have that minhag?

sarahd

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 3:36 pm
Almonds are not considered nuts.

greeneyes

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 3:45 pm
Quote:
I was going to make a similar recipe, when I realized that it has nuts! And we dont eat nuts on Rosh hashana. Do you not have that minhag?

I was actually thinking of making it for shabbos, after rosh hashana.

Anyway, so back to my original question, does anyone have a recipe for a sweet mustard dressing that would go well with these ingredients?

luckyme

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 4:36 pm
This one is from KBD Entertains-

You could definitely change the base of the salad, either by omitting or adding ingredients, even using just plain lettuce or with only the veggies/fruits and no lettuce at all -I have... also, I like the dressing a bit zestier, so I add more mustard & have been known to add a dash of cayenne pepper (or jalapenos).

Chopped salad w/ honey mustard dressing

for the base:
5 oz lettuce of choice
handful craisins
2 small cukes, peeled & cut into 1/2" dice
1 red bell pepper, seeded & cut into 1/2" dice
1 avocado, peeled, pitted & cut into 1/2" dice
1 mango, peeled, pitted & cut into 1/2" dice (Try to use a firmer mango as a soft one doesn't present well -too mushy.
12 grape tomatoes, halved

for the dressing:
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup canola oil (you could probably use any oil)
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp spicy brown mustard ( I add 2 tbsp)

1. in a large bowl, toss the lettuce, craisins, cukes, red pepper, avocado, mango & tomatoes. set aside.
2. in a med. bowl, whisk dressing ingredients until emulsified
3. pour over salad base & toss (you may have extra dressing)
Yield: 6 servings

Enjoy!

greeneyes

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 4:48 pm
Thanks so much luckyme!!! Really sweet of you to type out the whole recipe... I will try it!

P.S. Do you think regular mustard wold be ok, or does it have to be spicy brown?

luckyme

Post Tue, Sep 11 2007, 5:22 pm
My pleasure!!! I am all about substitutions... so, go for it!! I would say to let me know how it comes out, but now I will probably try it myself Wink
During pesach I used substitutions on a recipe I got from a friend that she had already made substitutions on... Scratching Head
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics