Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Moving to Toms River and Jackson is moving to LAKEWOOD!!!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

keym

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 1:06 pm
The problem in my opinion is that many people dont research the community in general before they decide to move, because they really want/need the cheaper housrs. They assume that its a strong frum community and it will all fall into place and then they are disappointed and complain bitterly when it doesnt.
Schools for bettet or for worse are difficult to get in to. Hopefully it will change, but we dont know for sure. Pediatricians. I dont know of any new practices opening or with a lot of extra space. There are no kosher groceries in tr. Even things like plowing, garbage pickup, bussing.
I agree with OP. People move to tr and jackaon and then complain how come I cant get into a school. How come the drs are full? How come the mikva is so far? How come they dont plow like Brooklyn? Im just saying do your research before you buy your house, and realize that Lakewood, Brick, Toms River, Howell, and Jackson all have the same frum arrangements. If you dont like the schools, dentist, fr, etc in Lakewood, you wont like them in the other places.
At least for the conceivable future.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 1:18 pm
amother wrote:
Wont all the people from Lakewood eventually move out there within next few years to get nicer houses for their money?

No. We just bought a $600,000 small house on barely any property in Lakewood instead of a sprawling mansion in Jackson because we wanted the amenities that came with a house in Lakewood:
No problems with sukkah; option of numerous Shuls in a two block radius; option to rent basement; pesach kitchen; brand new kitchen with 3 sinks included in price (instead of renovating a Jackson or toms river kitchen); potential for 10 (!!!) bedrooms in the house (including attic and basement), and 6 (!!!) bathrooms, which could come in handy with many guests/iy"H when hosting married children and grandchildren; many neighbors nearby for kids to play with...

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:16 pm
amother wrote:
No. We just bought a $600,000 small house on barely any property in Lakewood instead of a sprawling mansion in Jackson because we wanted the amenities that came with a house in Lakewood:
No problems with sukkah; option of numerous Shuls in a two block radius; option to rent basement; pesach kitchen; brand new kitchen with 3 sinks included in price (instead of renovating a Jackson or toms river kitchen); potential for 10 (!!!) bedrooms in the house (including attic and basement), and 6 (!!!) bathrooms, which could come in handy with many guests/iy"H when hosting married children and grandchildren; many neighbors nearby for kids to play with...

NEWS FLASH

There are familys out there some with both parents working that cannot afford a 600,000 home

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:30 pm
amother wrote:
NEWS FLASH

There are familys out there some with both parents working that cannot afford a 600,000 home

I know! We are very grateful to Hashem. All I was saying was that no, not everyone will move out of Lakewood for bigger homes and land in Jackson, Toms river! Plenty of people will stay in lakewood

sourstix

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:35 pm
where did you find a home for 600,000 this size and all the stuff that comes with it? all in the heart of lakewood? sounds surreal. and its not a developement?

sourstix

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:36 pm
[quote="amother"]No. We just bought a $600,000 small house on barely any property in Lakewood instead of a sprawling mansion in Jackson because we wanted the amenities that came with a house in Lakewood:
No problems with sukkah; option of numerous Shuls in a two block radius; option to rent basement; pesach kitchen; brand new kitchen with 3 sinks included in price (instead of renovating a Jackson or toms river kitchen); potential for 10 (!!!) bedrooms in the house (including attic and basement), and 6 (!!!) bathrooms, which could come in handy with many guests/iy"H when hosting married children and grandchildren; many neighbors nearby for kids to play with...[/quote]

where did you find a home for 600,000 this size and all the stuff that comes with it? all in the heart of lakewood? sounds surreal. and its not a developement?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:43 pm
sourstix wrote:

Like I said, it's small. 2800 or 3200 square ft including basement and attic. But they cater to frum people so they squeeze everything in! Works for me.
Not in a development.
We bought the house over a year ago; prices in the area went up since then.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:56 pm
amother wrote:
NEWS FLASH

Mint's point is that not everyone wants a nicer house for the money...some might prefer living in a simpler, smaller house in Lakewood.

I'm actuallly looking to do something similar - I'm trying to sell my small house, and buy a house only slightly bigger, in a neighborhood that works better for us in Lakewood (my neighborhood is very young, and my 8 year old has a hard time finding friends in her age range). I get comments all the time - so will you go and buy a gorgeous home in Jackson? And the answer is no - Jackson would not work for us. We want to go to a very developed neighborhood in Lakewood, not too far out, lots of shuls, close to shopping, etc...

People have different priorities. That's all.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:21 pm
Maybe I"m missing something, but I went looking with a realtor and there wasn't much in the under 500,000 range in Jackson that was a decent size for a growing family. And what I was being shown had tiny and few bedrooms, small kitchens, funny room layouts, and you could see all your neighbors swimming from your back deck. I didn't see anything so wonderful in that price range at all. Above 500 there are better pickings in Toms River, like Walden Woods and slightly less near Whitesville. But there are almost no shuls and there is no walkable Friday night mikva. Boys won't get a true shul experience until they are much older.
There are a lot of things to take into account when moving out.
And some areas like Toms River are developments, and see them already forming development mentalities like in Lakewood, I want to stay away from that.

debsey

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:29 pm
amother wrote:
I could see schools opening in both nearby towns soon as well.

At this point, it doesn't seem likely. A girls high school tried to buy a lot in Jackson, and the Jackson non jews went crazy. There were many township meetings and they did not let it go through.
In Tom's River, there was a Lubavitch program that was put through a major leagal battle.
Both of these instances were clearly anti-semetic. These towns clearly do not want yidden in their town and have strong fears that they will end up like Lakewood. For the time being, they will do anything in their power to prevent frum infrastructure within their townships.[/quote]

Eventually, more schools will open up in Lakewood/Industrial Park/Oak St area. Some of those schools will cater to the new demographics moving to town. However, any particular family moving here might be caught in that doughnut hole of not having a school for their kids because the ideal school won't be opening till 2 years after they need it.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:32 pm
debsey wrote:
Eventually, more schools will open up in Lakewood/Industrial Park/Oak St area. Some of those schools will cater to the new demographics moving to town. However, any particular family moving here might be caught in that doughnut hole of not having a school for their kids because the ideal school won't be opening till 2 years after they need it.

I dunno, I've been asking about boys elementary schools and it seems there is only YTT for more chilled parents. No other chilled schools. I'm looking for something like yeshiva Ketana of far Rockaway- doesn't exist here. The schools open up and then they turn more yeshivish.

debsey

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:39 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I dunno, I've been asking about boys elementary schools and it seems there is only YTT for more chilled parents. No other chilled schools. I'm looking for something like yeshiva Ketana of far Rockaway- doesn't exist here. The schools open up and then they turn more yeshivish.

Unfortunately, schools are businesses nowadays. In this case, that can be a good thing. Businesses respond to market pressure. Market pressure is that there are no JPF schools. Vacuums in the market tend to get filled. There will be a lag and some growing pains, but it will happen. It's inevitable.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:40 pm
Isnt there a darchei branch in lakewood

Liba

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:40 pm
amother wrote:
Like I said, it's small. 2800 or 3200 square ft including basement and attic. But they cater to frum people so they squeeze everything in! Works for me.
Not in a development.
We bought the house over a year ago; prices in the area went up since then.

A house about 3,000 square feet is small? shock Our house in the states was a nice size, 1469 square feet. Our townhouse in Israel is 1560 square feet, including the attic, no basement, and those are outer wall measurements including stair wells, so it is really smaller than that. It is still a nice size.

It is funny how one persons small is double another persons good size home. LOL

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:

Yes but I've heard it's more yeshivish than Darchei in FR. And not at all easy to get in to.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 5:19 pm
amother wrote:

It's much much more yeshivish than the one on far Rockaway

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 5:25 pm
Liba wrote:
A house about 3,000 square feet is small? shock Our house in the states was a nice size, 1469 square feet. Our townhouse in Israel is 1560 square feet, including the attic, no basement, and those are outer wall measurements including stair wells, so it is really smaller than that. It is still a nice size.

It is funny how one persons small is double another persons good size home. LOL

It's not small but it looks small because it's very narrow. The square footage includes the basement (which we will be renting and not using ourselves) and the attic (currently unfinished). And for the same price I could have purchased a 4000 sq ft home on an acre of land. But like I said, I'm very happy and grateful and chose this place on purpose.

justmarried

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 5:26 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe I"m missing something, but I went looking with a realtor and there wasn't much in the under 500,000 range in Jackson that was a decent size for a growing family. And what I was being shown had tiny and few bedrooms, small kitchens, funny room layouts, and you could see all your neighbors swimming from your back deck. I didn't see anything so wonderful in that price range at all. Above 500 there are better pickings in Toms River, like Walden Woods and slightly less near Whitesville. But there are almost no shuls and there is no walkable Friday night mikva. Boys won't get a true shul experience until they are much older.
There are a lot of things to take into account when moving out.
And some areas like Toms River are developments, and see them already forming development mentalities like in Lakewood, I want to stay away from that.

What do you mean by development mentality?

Orchid

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:24 pm
keym wrote:
The problem in my opinion is that many people dont research the community in general before they decide to move, because they really want/need the cheaper housrs. They assume that its a strong frum community and it will all fall into place and then they are disappointed and complain bitterly when it doesnt.
Schools for bettet or for worse are difficult to get in to. Hopefully it will change, but we dont know for sure. Pediatricians. I dont know of any new practices opening or with a lot of extra space. There are no kosher groceries in tr. Even things like plowing, garbage pickup, bussing.
I agree with OP. People move to tr and jackaon and then complain how come I cant get into a school. How come the drs are full? How come the mikva is so far? How come they dont plow like Brooklyn? Im just saying do your research before you buy your house, and realize that Lakewood, Brick, Toms River, Howell, and Jackson all have the same frum arrangements. If you dont like the schools, dentist, fr, etc in Lakewood, you wont like them in the other places.
At least for the conceivable future.

Why would someone moving from Brooklyn to TR or Jackson use a Lakewood pediatrician?

Ilovemaryland

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 6:28 pm
debsey wrote:
Unfortunately, schools are businesses nowadays. In this case, that can be a good thing. Businesses respond to market pressure. Market pressure is that there are no JPF schools. Vacuums in the market tend to get filled. There will be a lag and some growing pains, but it will happen. It's inevitable.

It has to.. Either that or 500 families move to Jackson, they all send their children en masse to PS.
The indigenous population might be a bit more reasonable to a jewish school after that
Page 4 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics