Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Toms River/Jackson
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:28 am
Are ppl moving from places like 5T? We live in FR and obviously housing is too expensive here to buy. What is crowd like in Jackson and TR? I went to TAG and we arent yeshivish but not modern either. We fit into five towns. What can we expect in Lakewood? I dont really have any ties to lakewood and have only been there once in my life. How does schooling work?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:31 am
I think you could fit into Jackson - either white road area, where there's a nice yeshivish/JPF mix, or further west like Danielle/Pittney/Melissa Lee/Westlake area.

The school situation might not be easy though. Lakewood schools get lots of competition due to the large number of applicants....you would have to find out if you can get into a school you are comfortable with.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 11:45 am
Would we be the "modern ones" or feel at home? Is Lakewood changing or the people like me will just not be accepted? I wear long wigs, maroon nails, my daughters dress like 5t and my husband has always worked. We
Have a tv etc. in 5t we are just like anyone else. How will I know before we move if we can get in? If we dont live there of course schools wont take us in..,

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:09 pm
In some areas you might be the modern ones. But more and more I'm seeing all types in lakewood surrounds. And they all have kids who go to school.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
Would we be the "modern ones" or feel at home? Is Lakewood changing or the people like me will just not be accepted? I wear long wigs, maroon nails, my daughters dress like 5t and my husband has always worked. We
Have a tv etc. in 5t we are just like anyone else. How will I know before we move if we can get in? If we dont live there of course schools wont take us in..,

You won't get into school in Lakewood like that Sad

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:52 pm
Really? I dont understand where are all the cooler/with it people sending kids to school and how are they getting in?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:57 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
You won't get into school in Lakewood like that Sad

You don't know anyone like that in Lakewood whose kids go to school?

cnc

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 2:59 pm
Chayalle wrote:
You don't know anyone like that in Lakewood whose kids go to school?

I do.

The Op just obviously needs to apply to the right schools.

sourstix

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:05 pm
I dont know any of those schools but maybe someone here can help. deal isnt that far from here. maybe that would be interesting?

op typical lakewood schools wont accept you. but there are definitely your type here. I just dont know the schools.

L K

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 3:25 pm
Chayalle wrote:
In some areas you might be the modern ones. But more and more I'm seeing all types in lakewood surrounds. And they all have kids who go to school.

I haven't heard of schools that allow tvs though.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:06 pm
How does a school know if there is a TV? and its not like ppl are honest about that anyways

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:07 pm
amother wrote:
Really? I dont understand where are all the cooler/with it people sending kids to school and how are they getting in?

People may eventually get in, but if the op is open about her way of life then she will likely have a very, very hard time.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:07 pm
sourstix wrote:
I dont know any of those schools but maybe someone here can help. deal isnt that far from here. maybe that would be interesting?

op typical lakewood schools wont accept you. but there are definitely your type here. I just dont know the schools.

We definitely arent that modern we would need to go to deal. Think frum TAG family. The more I see these comments I realize I dont think we would be accepted there. I dont want to be labelled as modern just because I am not BMG yeshivish.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:11 pm
What "way of life"? That we watch movies at home and I get manicures? Thats not modern at all.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:16 pm
amother wrote:
We definitely arent that modern we would need to go to deal. Think frum TAG family. The more I see these comments I realize I dont think we would be accepted there. I dont want to be labelled as modern just because I am not BMG yeshivish.

Lakewood is a different culture. Completely different. I once asked about a certain neighborhood and was told it's "modern" because some women don't wear tights in the summer. Well, that made me laugh, because to me, modern means YU or similarly affiliated.
That's not to say there aren't people like you in Lakewood, but most of the schools generally don't accept people who are open about having tv or who show up to an interview in a long wig and scarlet nail polish.
I'm very familiar with the TAG community. Lakewood is a completely different world. (Yes, even Jackson and toms river, because you'd need to send your kids to Lakewood.)

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:
What "way of life"? That we watch movies at home and I get manicures? Thats not modern at all.

In Lakewood, watching movies is considered "modern," strangely enough.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:22 pm
Does not sound like a place I want to raise my girls! I am glad I asked. We really arent into "labels" I had heard from some neighbors thinking or a move that these neighborhoods are evolving into a more openminded place but it doesnt seem the case.

amother
White

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:25 pm
You need to talk to someone who knows you, or even friends of friends, to get a better feeling. You should probably go for a Shabbos too, to any area you are considering. There are definitely people like you in Lakewood, but obviously since the scale leans more right and yeshivish , you would be considered more "left" than when you're in the 5 towns. You just need to be okay with that. No one is necessarily judging you, it's just a reality.

sky

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:25 pm
It almost seems like this is a paradoy on the other Toms River Lakewood thread.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:29 pm
Lakewood has changed a lot, but it still has a ways to go.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating