Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Toras Chaim vs. Merkaz Hatorah (Israel)

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 9:30 am
My son wants to go to Eretz Yisroel to learn from the year and he is deciding between Toras Chaim and Merkaz Hatorah. I know Toras Chaim is the breakaway. What is really the difference of the two? Do they attract different kind of boy? What is their reputations?

mom35

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 2:38 pm
I know more than a bit about the two of them. What is your son like, and what is he looking for in the yeshiva that he chooses? Where is he now?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Feb 20 2017, 6:48 pm
My son is from a mainstream yeshiva. He is a strong student in Hebrew and English. He is frum but normal. He is open minded. He is not looking for something fake yeshivish. He is a good clean boy (never into drugs, smoking or girls). He has a very good reputation.
He wants to go to Israel to learn for year in a good environment with warm Rabeeim. He doesn't want to be in a place that is hefker.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 5:57 pm
Bump

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Feb 21 2017, 8:07 pm
they are pretty similar.
my son is in mercaz and the rebbeim are amazing and very warm and go out of their way to help the boys in all aspects of life and learning. I am beyond amazed at their devotion to the boys. The boys are nice solid good boys.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Mar 06 2017, 11:23 pm
Does anyone have more info? I really need more info.

mom35

Post Tue, Mar 07 2017, 5:27 pm
They are both great yeshivas with great boys and great rebbeim, and neither one of them are hefker. There is a very subtle difference, and although hard to pin-point, I would say Mercaz may be a bit more ba'al batish and very studious, whereas TC may be considered just a tad more yeshivish (as compared to Mercaz, but they are not a "yeshivish" place). After all is said and done, TC may be just a bit more of a stronger place.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 12:38 am
Thank you for your response. Do any of these yeshivas try to brainwash the boys?

mom35

Post Sat, Mar 11 2017, 4:08 pm
Can you be more specific in your question, I'm not totally sure what you mean?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 2:24 pm
[quote="mom35"]Can you be more specific in your question, I'm not totally sure what you mean?[/quote]

Do these yeshivas try to change the way the boy thinks. Example my son wants to go to college. Will the Yeshiva tell my son it's assur and convince him to learn the rest of his life?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 13 2017, 5:10 pm
If he wants to go to college I think Mercaz would be more for him. I know a lot of Mercaz boys go to Turo. I'm not sure about tc. I know Mercaz is definitely college bound. But a lot of the boys stay there more than one year in Mercaz. . Two or three years.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 12:09 pm
I know this is an old thread but I have the same question, does anyone have any more insight?

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 12:18 pm
Anecdotal. I only know one person who went to merkaz.
He loved it. He loved his rebbeim and developed a real kesher with one.
His parents are not yeshivish in the least (closer to modern orthodox in some ways, though their rav is yeshivish).
He then went to college and became a lawyer.
Is koveia ittim. His chavrusos are sacred time slots. Wars a white shirt on a regular day (if that makes any difference our has any meaning), will wear tshirts on trips.
Very well rounded
Very machshiv torah

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 1:00 pm
I don’t know much about Merkaz but Toras chaim is considered one of the top yeshivos, and difficult to get into. It’s a very solid place for very solid, menthlich boys.

Boys are more 5towns type with boys from us and other places.
They learn very very shtark and rebbeim are so committed and so present for their Talmidim. They take very good care of each boy.

In “gashmiyus” they are above and beyond any Yeshiva in Israel. They provide amazing food/meals, amazing trips etc..understand when boys need planned activities/breaks. sometimes known as “hotel TC”- among outside Yeshiva bochurim.

They don’t talk boys out of going to college, but it’s not promoted either.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 1:19 pm
Thank you! I appreciate the responses
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children