Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Lkwd- new construction development house vs older house with

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 10:17 am
We currently live in brooklyn and are looking to move to lkwd and buy a house. I am so confused which one I would rather. Can you please list pros and cons of both and if you are happy with your decision or not of buying a new costruction house without much property or an older house not living on top of your neighbors?

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 11:23 am
I personally think developments are not great but people like it. I like my own unique stamp on my home- my own style.
I dont like everyone living on top of each other and conformity etc but the pros are the kids play together all the time and theres more of a chevra. Also they usually come with rental basements.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 2:39 pm
Bump. Im sure there are many lkwdes on here. Please share ur opinion

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 2:44 pm
I live in a private house. dh refused to buy in a developement. he needs his privacy. I also have a special needs child that needs privacy. it would be terrible for him to live in a developement. but there are pros and cons to each one of them.

I didnt live in a developement so I cant tell you. the quality of those houses are not that great. if you can find a house in a developement that is already built and get an engineer to tell you if its well built. then maybe its for you. its definitely cheaper. its a different lifestyle.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 2:56 pm
We bought new construction but not officially a development. It's on a street but has a lot of houses, with not much property.
We chose it because of the excellent amenities (basement, attic with two more rooms, lots of bathrooms, kitchen and pesach kitchen, and other type of similar things) and not such expensive upkeep for lawn/pool in a bigger property.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 3:20 pm
yes you can buy a duplex that is new but not in a developement. that is probabbly more expensive.

in ridge there are many houses with basements for rentals. I dont know how big the property is though. im assuming its more expensive then in a developement.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 5:05 pm
Op here. Im talking about the pros and cons of older house with property for example raintree or even jackson vs a new duplex\townhouse or single family house built five feet apart from next house. The jewish houses are brilliantly designed for a frum family and they come move in ready. However you have little if any property and privacy. An older house gives you property and privacy but you will not have the same closet space or gorgeous kitchen and it will not come move in ready either. Help me decide

sky

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 5:10 pm
Jackson vs Raintree is also huge jump. Jackson you don't have shuls, mikva, less neighbors and friends - ages and variety for kids. Raintree you are still moving into a more established community.
Personally I like houses with land better. It doesn't have to be big land - even 50x150 lot gives you space to have a private backyard, spend time outside without everyone seeing your business. I"d rather have a tiny home with no space and my privacy (my current situation).
I find developments tend to breed a competitive environment and bring out high school clique behaviors.
Some love developments and don't miss the land because the kids play in the front and its one big backyard. They love teh community behavoir and that there is almost always a friend outside. Some hate the hefker atmosphere and the kids knowing everyone else's household.
I think a lot of it depends on your own personality and family dynamics.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 5:11 pm
It's up to you.
Like I said, we decided to go for little property and privacy for the convenience of a rental apartment in the basement, 7 bedrooms (incl attic) and 5 bathrooms, all not including basement; pesach kitchen; in Lakewood proper; close to friends (that's a plus for kids).
We plan to put up a fence for some semblance of privacy but it's not much.
This is what we wanted now. Maybe when we're older and kids are older well move somewhere will more land and privacy.
It's totally up to each family to make that decision for themselves.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 5:28 pm
amother wrote:
I didnt live in a developement so I cant tell you. the quality of those houses are not that great. if you can find a house in a developement that is already built and get an engineer to tell you if its well built. then maybe its for you. its definitely cheaper. its a different lifestyle.

I think this is an important issue in Lkwd esp. since a building inspector (electrical code) was recently was recently sentenced to jail for bribery.

imasinger

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 6:35 pm
If you do opt for new construction, you might want to consider a shorter term rental while the building is going on. If you're not in there several times a week inspecting, all kinds of mistakes can get made, and sealed in so that they become very difficult to fix.

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 6:36 pm
so how many developements where messed up because of him? im curious. I notice that they build it so quickly. theres no way you can build so fast and still have it built well. I guess im not surprised.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 6:48 pm
sourstix wrote:
so how many developements where messed up because of him? im curious. I notice that they build it so quickly. theres no way you can build so fast and still have it built well. I guess im not surprised.

I tried to find out online but couldn't get any details. No did the city ever mention re-inspecting properties he was in charge of.

My cousin has one of those huge grotesque McMansions in Lkwd and I always notice little corners the builder cut when I visit. Some of the baseboard isn't even cut with a mitre, the corners are just blocked, there are no backs on some kitchen cabinets, you can see tape lines and joints in the drywall. Who knows what lurks beyond the surface.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 8:33 pm
OP-There are pro's and con's of both. We can list them for you, but it sounds like you know them already. The only one who can decide is you and your DH. The better you know yourselves, the easier it will be to make your decision. Do you enjoy being part of a tight social network that developments have. Does your DH mind walking a distance to shul. Do you want many options of friends for your kids? Are you an outdoors kind of person. Do you appreciate a big backyard, or will the maintenance just be a pain? Do you mind being busy with construction to make an old house suitable? These are just some of the questions you need to think through. It also makes it difficult when the spouses are on different pages. Good luck-I hope you find something that works for you!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 11:01 pm
Think of it this way. If u buy new construction do u need to rent out ur basement to afford it. If yes, which is usually the case, do u want to live with someone underneath u and be careful not to make too much noise. Also u need to realize the basement tenants hear everything going on upstairs. Or would u rather a smaller older house with much more privacy. I live in a duplex not in a development, there are so many kids for my kids to play with, they love it. Sometimes I do wish for my own private house with a nice yard though...

sky

Post Sun, Feb 26 2017, 11:35 pm
The newish McMansion type homes in toms river and some in Jackson that are on the market are also built pretty poorly. I think it's the nature of newer McMansions being built.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 27 2017, 12:03 am
the newer homes are indeed beautiful and some of the townhouses are affordable even if you don't rent out the basement.

The first con is obvious - No land, no privacy. You should be aware than some teenagers find this very difficult. (or at least their parents find it difficult)

but you may want to also consider your needs and solutions in the future in the event someone elderly needs to move in with you. That is not so easily solved in a development house.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating