Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help Me Find a Cheder for My Grandson!

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 9:35 pm
Hi,

So my married daughter lives in Monsey and her oldest will be 3 in Sept iy'H. She is looking into different Cheder options and I told her I'd ask you ladies for opinions. Please specify in your posts if you personally send to the school you're commenting on as I may want to follow up with you.

Here's the best way to describe this couple: they're frum, ehrlich, no monkey-business yiddishkeit wise. They're always growing.

They align themselves with more "heimish" community in that they belong to a chassidishe shul etc. and have that warmth and geshmak but in terms of dress: my daughter dresses like a BY girl with a sheitel that's not totally down her back but a good few inches longer than any chassidish school would ever go for. Her husband wears a bekishe and hat, short peyos (not hanging).

They're hard-working, normal and raising amazing kids! They're looking for a Yeshiva that would match their values: mentchlichkeit, good education (both morning and secular), yiddish speaking preferably, and with a growth oriented parent body-- not one that's constantly trying to outsmart the "system" and live on the edge.

Originally they were looking into Ateres Tzvi but found the instability to be an issue as well as the fact that the parent body consists of some wonderful people but way too many living on the edge.

Then, they thought Munkatch might be an idea but found that the school would want them to change much of their appearance etc.

Vien is really what they felt most comfortable with but they didn't get to first base-- officially they're saying it's all full.

Imrei Binah's application consists of two pages in full Yiddish about all sorts of Takanos. They have no issue with rules and are sticklers to following rules. These seemed to be a mismatch for them and so they said it would be unfair to ask a child to go through that.

I've heard great things about Imrei Shefer but not sure if based on what I'm writing here you women would recommend.

A new option came up: Cheder Chabad/Chabad Cheder which I hear has a great education but I worry about a non-chabad family fitting in there.

Ok I turn the floor to you....Please educate me about the options and if we've made a mistake on any of these.

Maya

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 9:37 pm
How about Bais Dovid, Bais Mikroh or Degel ha Torah ?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 9:50 pm
At first glance I would have said Imrei Binah, but you said that's out. In that case, Bais Dovid sounds just about right.

sourstix

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 9:54 pm
Basis dovid is great but do any of the mothers wear that length sheitels? Just asking

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 10:40 pm
Sounds like bais dovid would be the right fit. I send to bais mikroh....it is more to the yeshivish side. Bais dovid is more heimish. I know a few girls who sound like ur daughter who send there.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Mar 01 2017, 10:56 pm
Thanks for the feedback. It's funny that so many of you mentioned Bais Dovid. The parents I know who send there are more "Kollel" Chassidish type. Is there really room for families like my daughter's or would she be an outcast there?

And do any of you send to Munkatch and have a diff view?

Bais Mikroh is much too Yeshivish/Litvish

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 8:54 am
My son is in bais Dovid. Half the woman that and there are old time yeshivish (maybe a ltitle less than half). The rest are the younger group of Yeshivish, haimish, heimish and Chassidish. Rabbi Beyer told me personally that half the woman wear sheitel past the shoulders but they don't appreciate that! As a general rule you dress as tznius as you can for the interview and find out what the parent body is really like. I usually wear refined denim a line skirts (thin material dark color) but try not to wear it when I pick my son up. About Munkatch I know someone who sends there and she wears a slit, skirts that rise above her knees etc. I think there are two standards every school has. What they want to portray and the truth about who is attending. So skip looking at rules and find out more about the parent body. Also all chassidish chedarim have bad secular education in monsey including basis Dovid. Also there is a new school that opened lay year for Stolin type. In bais Dovid the rebbe talks in Yiddish but the kids mostly don't. And the davening is litvish havara. Degel and bais mikroh have no chasidish kids.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 12:18 pm
amother wrote:
My son is in bais Dovid. Half the woman that and there are old time yeshivish (maybe a ltitle less than half). The rest are the younger group of Yeshivish, haimish, heimish and Chassidish. Rabbi Beyer told me personally that half the woman wear sheitel past the shoulders but they don't appreciate that! As a general rule you dress as tznius as you can for the interview and find out what the parent body is really like. I usually wear refined denim a line skirts (thin material dark color) but try not to wear it when I pick my son up. About Munkatch I know someone who sends there and she wears a slit, skirts that rise above her knees etc. I think there are two standards every school has. What they want to portray and the truth about who is attending. So skip looking at rules and find out more about the parent body. Also all chassidish chedarim have bad secular education in monsey including basis Dovid. Also there is a new school that opened lay year for Stolin type. In bais Dovid the rebbe talks in Yiddish but the kids mostly don't. And the davening is litvish havara. Degel and bais mikroh have no chasidish kids.

The cheder you're referring to is imrei binah, which the op already considered

Pteranodon

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 2:42 pm
It's possible that Vien actually is full - they've been overstuffing the classes like crazy for the last few years.

Imrei Binah is basically a splinter off Vien, the parent body will be similar. Vien has been moving to the right and becoming more chassidish. Imrei Binah wants to be less of that and have a bit of a Stolin flavor.

It sounds like your daughter would have fit well into the Munkatch of several years ago, but alas, Munkatch has also shifted sharply to the right. It's a good cheder, though.

Imrei Shufer has stability and family issues, please look into it carefully. The mission of the cheder is excellent and they have some very good staff, but you have to be comfortable sending there as it's generally the last stop on the train.

I don't want to sound judgmental and your daugher & Co. sound like wonderful people, but all heimish/chassidish mosdos in Monsey have been moving to the right and and becoming more and more rigid, and none will tolerate very long sheitels for long. I am not justifying their rigidity or condemning the wig length - just stating an unfortunate fact. Don't shoot me; I'm the messenger.

Pteranodon

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 2:43 pm
Oh, also, you might consider Cheder d'Monsey, which is not the same as Cheder Chabad, AFAIK. Or is it? Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

esuss

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 5:15 pm
Cheder d'monsey is not Cheder Chabad. But it is very litvishe crowd similar crowd to Degel hatorah.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 10:28 pm
I'm a long time parent at Imrei Shufer and think it will be a wonderful fit for your grandson based on your description. I have 3 sons in the cheder and am very happy. My boys love going to school. The staff is approachable and always being trained in the latest chinuch techniques. For example there is a locked mailbox where the boys can leave notes to the menahel. The older boys get music lessons as part of the secular education and it sparked an interest in my son to awaken a dormant talent which he took further. My 7 year old reads fat chapter books and can complete 3 numerical addition in his head, so the english education is great. The rebbes really know my kids due to small class size averaging 15 per class. All in all I'm a thrilled parent at this gem of a cheder. Look into it before dismissing it as the last stop.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Mar 02 2017, 11:38 pm
I know so many people that send to Bais dovid. They are chassidish but not crazy! The ladies wear wigs past their shoulders.
There is a more chassidish class and more yeshivish class yet all thevrebbes talk Yiddish.
From the way u describe ur daughter don't think she will stick out in this school.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 1:25 am
sourstix wrote:
Basis dovid is great but do any of the mothers wear that length sheitels? Just asking

Please explain me the greatness of Bais Dovid, somehow I missed out on getting that, the limudei kodesh? The English department? Yeah the buses are good, but that is a bus company, not an education system. Bais Dovid is a regular old school system, as I see it, could you please enlighten me.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 2:09 am
amother wrote:
Please explain me the greatness of Bais Dovid, somehow I missed out on getting that, the limudei kodesh? The English department? Yeah the buses are good, but that is a bus company, not an education system. Bais Dovid is a regular old school system, as I see it, could you please enlighten me.

It is the only school that has a chassidish yeshivish mix. The parent body is more American than the average chassidish school. The mothers that send there are BY type. Either it is or isn't the right fit.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Mar 05 2017, 2:12 am
Pteranodon wrote:

Imrei Shufer has stability and family issues, please look into it carefully. The mission of the cheder is excellent and they have some very good staff

I'm a proud imrei shefer parent. Imrei Shefer is the most beautiful and caring cheder in the chassidish world, from the professionalism of the staff to the happiness of the children. I take issue with your statement about the stability and family issues of imrei shefer, yes a time ago they had money issues, but it seems they are past that stage. What is the family issues you are referring, Im a parent in imrei shefer for a few years now, to me it looks a nice parent body.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics