Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Marble or quartz countertops
1  2  Next

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 6:08 am
I'm doing my kitchen and just wondering, anyone has done a marble island? Is it hard to upkeep? It's beautiful and kitchen guy made it sound not so bad. Please someone who has marble tell me

chenvchesed

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 7:45 am
We chose a marble look a like from ceasarstone. We have small children and marble is soft and very easy to damage. If you leave a cut lemon on it or if someone sets a wine glass on it, it becomes etched or permanently stained. There are many quartz options that look like marble.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 9:39 am
I have quartz and don't live it. There are nicks from when pots bang the edge of the sink. I would go with granite for durability that will last.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 9:39 am
Marble is very delicate and is easily scratched, etched and stained. Not a great idea for a counter. Quartz is much more durable and is a man made material from ground stone. You may also want to consider Quartzite which a natural stone harder than granite and is very durable and much more beautiful (and more expensive). You must though use a reliable stone yard/fabricator because many try to pass off marble as the better Quartzite.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 10:03 am
Would not do marble. You can choose granite that has a marble look, with veining and marbleizing colors rather than the typical speckled granite look. We have that and we love it!

BrachaBatya

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 10:05 am
Granite or quartz!

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 10:24 am
Those with quartz anyway you can post pics of it? Haven't found a design I like and of course marble is beautiful! But I don't think with kids it's the best option

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 10:25 am
Is there a reason you are not considering quartzite?

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 10:37 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Marble is very delicate and is easily scratched, etched and stained. Not a great idea for a counter. Quartz is much more durable and is a man made material from ground stone. You may also want to consider Quartzite which a natural stone harder than granite and is very durable and much more beautiful (and more expensive). You must though use a reliable stone yard/fabricator because many try to pass off marble as the better Quartzite.

ITA, quartzite is beautiful. It has a WOW factor that granite and quartz don't have.

You can get quartzite that has the same colors as classic marble. It looks like a stone in jewelry.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 10:42 am
I think quartzite is similar to marble, still needs upkeeping. Am I wrong?

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 10:53 am
amother wrote:

Definitely not if it is real quartzite. Real quartzite is the is the strongest and most durable of all of the stones mentioned. The problem is that some unscrupulous stone yards/fabricators try to pass of marble slabs and quartzite.

Go to this thread quartzite-versus-granite on houzz.com for lots of information.

True quartzite does not etch, scratch of stain and is stronger than granite. I put it in my new kitchen and I love it. It is more costly than the others though.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 2:25 pm
I have sealed marble counters in my kitchen and I'm very happy with it. It's holding up very well and looks beautiful.

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:

Granite and quartzite need upkeep. I reseal twice a year which is as easy as polishing.

Quartzite installed ran me $80 a sq ft. Granite was $40 a sq ft. And I was quoted $90 a sq ft for quartz.

ITA with OOTBubby that you should only buy from a reputable place. Direct from NJ guys who work with the quarries are a lot cheaper than showrooms. I was quoted more than double what I paid at local showrooms. It is fun to see the whole slabs rather than samples. Each piece is unique anyway. Stay away from Chinese products as they are inferior.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 4:15 pm
Squishy wrote:
Granite and quartzite need upkeep. I reseal twice a year which is as easy as polishing.

Granite needs regular polishing. Quartzite may or may not depending on the slab. You have to check with your fabricator depending on your slab.

sourstix

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 4:20 pm
This is so so confusing. I wonder who's a reliable place in Lakewood that will give me honest service and not give me junk.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 4:51 pm
I wouldn't recommend marble kitchen counters for anyone who actually cooks, but there is no perfect bulletproof counter. Get samples of quartz, quartzite, granite, whatever stone or stone blends you're considering. Test them with lemon juice, vinegar, ketchup, wine, and oil — sounds like a salad dressing recipe! Leave the salad dressing ingredients on your samples overnight and then check for etching and staining.

Another test you can do, this one for black granites, is to rub the sample with acetone (nail polish remover). If the granite has been dyed, acetone will take it off and you'll see black on your wiping cloth.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 4:56 pm
Squishy wrote:

Quartzite installed ran me $80 a sq ft. Granite was $40 a sq ft. And I was quoted $90 a sq ft for quartz.

ITA with OOTBubby that you should only buy from a reputable place. Direct from NJ guys who work with the quarries are a lot cheaper than showrooms. I was quoted more than double what I paid at local showrooms. It is fun to see the whole slabs rather than samples. Each piece is unique anyway. Stay away from Chinese products as they are inferior.

Can you teach me how to do the seal?

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 4:58 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Granite needs regular polishing. Quartzite may or may not depending on the slab. You have to check with your fabricator depending on your slab.

I was told that all glossy finishes need polishing. The leather ones do not. Anyway, I like the look of a polished kitchen.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 4:59 pm
Squishy wrote:
I was told that all glossy finishes need polishing. The leather ones do not. Anyway, I like the look of a polished kitchen.

I did not mean to say polishing, rather sealing. Not all quartzite needs sealing depending on the slab. Sorry for the confusion.

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 5:10 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I did not mean to say polishing, rather sealing. Not all quartzite needs sealing depending on the slab. Sorry for the confusion.

And here I was thinking you would hate my kitchen. Very Happy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics