Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Hashem

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 6:43 am
at what age do you start talking with your kids about hashem? in what way do you talk about hashem with them? from what age do you make them aware of the concept of brachos, thanking hashem before and after eating/drinking, and going to the bathroom? davening in the morning, etc?

creativemommyto3

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 6:55 am
From the minute they are born. I sung to my kids " Torah tziva..." in the delivery room and Modeh ani(they were both born in the morning. Plus some Uncle Moishy. Most ppl don't do this. I just heard a story once about a special person hearing Torah as the first word from his mother. I felt so guilty with my second b/c I said I love you first and then did my routine. My third , I couldn't b/c I was under general anesthetic and had major surgery so I didn't get to sing or see her til she was 2 and a half days old. I also heard a story that one couple went with their newborn to a rav and asked when they should start chinuch and the rav said that they were nine months late. I remember talking to my stomach a bit and playing uncle moishy while pregnant. I made sure to sit near my dh when he learned and sometimes my kids kicked me at that time. I always wanted to see if my kid was like yaakov and would kick when I would go near a bais medrash. my dh's yeshiva was close by and my dh didn't want to be embarassed. Although, since the bris of the first one was in his yeshiva I made sure to stay a bit with my baby so he could hear the torah learning . This is just me.

technic

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 8:26 am
breslov ur son is GORGEOUS kyh!!!! Very Happy

shalhevet

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 8:31 am
You can say modeh ani and shema with them as soon as they're born.

When you talk to them, you can sometimes say things like 'Look at the beautiful flower Hashem made for us to enjoy'.

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 8:44 am
ty, techcic.
shalhevet, I already know what I do. I was just wondering what others do and if I'm weird that I already talk with uriel about hashem.
when we get up for the day, sing modeh ani. then I change his diaper and while doing so tell him "thank you hashem for helping uriel make poopie."
(I'm nuts, no? but thats the idea of asher yatzar.)
then we wash our hands and say brachos- meaning I hold him and say brachos.
and then throughout the day I talk to him about hashem.
I just wondered if I was the only one to start so early.
hopefully one of his first words will be hashem. Wink

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 8:50 am
We always started our day with modeh ani (AFTER) the diaper change! Now he starts with a bottle of milk, at some point he makes so after the bottle we change the diaper and get him dressed. Usually I sing modeh ani, part of ma tovu, and shma on the short (2 minute) walk to daycare. In Elul I've also been adding achat sha'alti, and on Rosh Chodesh I choose something from Hallel.

I know my DH points out all sorts of things to him, and has done the mezuzah explanation, and tallis/tefillin. Last year he made a point of having DS with him while he davened in the sukkah and letting him smell the etrog.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics