Home

What do you do with your Hamster over Pesach?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Teal

Post  Mon, Mar 13 2017, 10:50 am
We are going to be away the whole Pesach and the day before and after. What should I do with my hamster? I would leave him in my house and "sell" him with the chometz, but I am not sure I can leave him enough food for 10 days - what if he eats it all before the end? Also, his cage will be gross after 10 days!
What do you do?

Chayalle

Post  Mon, Mar 13 2017, 10:54 am
You need to find a neighbor who is willing to hamster-sit for you. When we go away just for a longer weekend, I get a neighbor's teen to come in and make sure out guinea pig's water supply is full, and hay tray and feed dish is sufficient....I usually by her a little gift card to the local ice cream store when I get back.....

Seas

Post  Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:05 am
A hamster can survive for a week on only kosher lepesach food, like hay, vegetables, and so on.

Giving it to a neighbor isn't a solution if it still belongs to you, as you'd be benefiting from chametz.

amother

Teal

Post  Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:06 am
The problem is
1)I am not friendly with any of the non-Jews in my area, and those with whom I am acquainted, I would not give them my key to access my house when I am out for a week+.
2) If my house is "sold", I don't know that I can give someone else permission to come in.

amother

Teal

Post  Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:07 am
Seas wrote:
A hamster can survive for a week on only kosher lepesach food, like hay, vegetables, and so on.

Giving it to a neighbor isn't a solution if it still belongs to you, as you'd be benefiting from chametz.

Vegetables - If I leave a week's worth, wouldn't it rot?
Hay - I never fed him this. Do I just ask for it in the pet store and assume its kosher Lpesach?

Seas

Post  Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:15 am
You can't really give enough veggies for a week and a half, but you can give the hamster to a Jewish family to look after, and they should feed it veggies.

Hay is just dried grass, and AFAIK doesn't require a hechsher.

ra_mom

Post  Mon, Mar 13 2017, 11:33 am
We made our own filling mix of seeds, nuts, legumes (kitniyus) for our hampsters the years we had them over pesach. But we stayed home with them and refilled their bowls daily.

If you need to be away, consider getting someone to watch your pet.

Otherwise, look into getting a vacation feeder that allows the hamster to get enough food throughout without gorging on a too full bowl. Also get multiple water bottle feeders. If you do this (we did this once, but only for a weekend) make sure there's air conditioning/heat/fresh air and light for your caged pet.
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets