Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you want pics of women in the frum magazines?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 7:25 am
So how can you explain that it used to be acceptable for Jewish publications to have pictures of women? What happened in the last twenty years?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 7:43 am
amother wrote:
You sound verrry right winged......
B"H we have things that accommodate our mentalities and needs. When my mother was a girl she reread several time the book "all for the boss "-which is very well written because of lack of books twenty years later we B"h have too many magazines. And in all honesty I do not want my sons or husband seeing pictures of women that are related to them.
You can let your husband watch movies rated abc .... And come back to me in two years if he is still interested in being with you.
I know a boy (I was married to him) who looked at pictures/movies and I found a condom on his shelf, so I guess you dont have an issue with that either. He mistreated me as well even though he DID look at magazines with photos of women in them. A women to him is something between a human and an animal. So putting women in magazines will definitely solve the issue;)

What does "All For the Boss" have to do with the topic, which by the way, includes pictures of women?

fmt4

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 7:47 am
amother wrote:
No it is not a Prim post. Frum men should not be looking at pictures of women if there is no need for it.

We are asking - I assume- for pictures in the WOMEN's MAGAZINE. Why the --- would men be reading family first???? It is a magazine written by women for women!!! Men can keep their noses out of it.

fmt4

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 7:53 am
Does anyone here know of men who would read Bina, family first, or ami living? I assume it's a tiny percentage. So basically we are keeping women out of these magazines for the even tinier percentage of extremely horny men who would not only read a magazine for women but get turned on by a picture of their faces. Great.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 7:55 am
fmt4 wrote:
We are asking - I assume- for pictures in the WOMEN's MAGAZINE. Why the --- would men be reading family first???? It is a magazine written by women for women!!! Men can keep their noses out of it.

If thats what they're referring to then ok but, they did not specify they were referring to the family first and ami living and not the regular mishpacha and ami.

fmt4

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 8:04 am
amother wrote:
If thats what they're referring to then ok but, they did not specify they were referring to the family first and ami living and not the regular mishpacha and ami.

There are almost never even articles about women at all in the regular ones. So I assume it's the women's magazines. Not that I would have a problem with pictures of women in all the magazines but I guess I can kind of understand. And what about Binah, that is advertised as a women's magazine?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 8:06 am
fmt4 wrote:
There are almost never even articles about women at all in the regular ones. So I assume it's the women's magazines. Not that I would have a problem with pictures of women in all the magazines but I guess I can kind of understand. And what about Binah, that is advertised as a women's magazine?

How about women authors in those magazines?

fmt4

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 8:07 am
amother wrote:
How about women authors in those magazines?

You mean to have a tiny picture a few centimeters tall of her face???? You really think that that's gonna get men excited? What men do you know??

Oh and btw the petition specifically talks about magazines directed towards women.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 8:16 am
fmt4 wrote:
Does anyone here know of men who would read Bina, family first, or ami living? I assume it's a tiny percentage. So basically we are keeping women out of these magazines for the even tinier percentage of extremely horny men who would not only read a magazine for women but get turned on by a picture of their faces. Great.

I do. I know men who read the AMI Living diet article, and one who reads recipes everywhere. I can just imagine their reactions to before and after pics in the diet section lol.

Look, I cannot fathom why anyone would censor little girls' faces, or adult women for that matter in a well-known photo like was done to Hillary Clinton. However, I don't agree this is done for 's-xual' reasons. Modesty is NOT all about s-x.

I do understand the policy as an easy-way-out. The editors don't have to risk insulting chasuve women whose tznius standard may not be on the level the board prefers. (I can just see the threads here "Mishpacha magazine asked me for a more tzanuah photo... What chutzpah!" or "Since when is a Sheitel past my shoulders not modest???") Or whatever. I'm not saying no pictures is the best solution, I'm saying it's an easy solution for the editors.

Personally, if I ever wrote for a magazine, I would not want my picture distributed all over the world. I don't see why articles about women who were nifteres can't have a photo or two, though.

I guess I have lots of conflicting thoughts on the matter.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 8:23 am
Ima_Shelli wrote:
I do think there should be an alternative to Shop Rite magazines with women splashed all over the cover and inside pages. I don't think that alternative excludes female images entirely. I worry about the message that it sends when we think the only two alternatives are either excluding female images completely or having splashy Shop Rite magazines. I think there is a beautiful, holy, tzanuah middle ground.

There are lots of non-Jewish magazines in the middle ground. The readers digest for example.

daisy

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:09 am
Lately the magazines have been using a lot of young girls in their ads and features, some of whom are well over 4 or even 6. The clothing is not always tzanua either, and the girls are sometimes "adultified" with makeup and jewelry.

I feel like they are circumventing the rule in a way that's not OK. I'd rather see appropriate pictures of women in articles and pictures of real girls in the Junior section. I'm not opposed to leaving women out of ads.

Last edited by daisy on Fri, Mar 17 2017, 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total

eschaya

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:11 am
The petition specifically refers to magazines that are directed towards female readership. While I personally believe that there is no reason photos of modest women and girls can't be published in any magazine, I can respect those who prefer that womens faces not be promoted in magazines geared towards men (lets assume that mishpacha is, since the vast majority of articles are written by men about men). But for womens magazines such as binah or family first, there is absolutely no reason to exclude visuals of tzanua women, and so many reasons why this is a cause to be promoted.
I signed the petition, even though I have never been impressed with the quality of the writing, scholarship or topics presented in these frum magazines. If by some unlikely chance this petition does have the ability to enact the desired change, $179 will be a small price to pay towards the betterment of our frum society.

champion

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:20 am
daisy wrote:

I feel like they are circumventing the rule in a way that's not OK. I'd rather see appropriate pictures of women in articles and pictures of real girls in the Junior section. I'm not opposed to leaving women out of ads.

When unatural rules are introduced into a society this is the result

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:24 am
My aunt donated a kidney and when one of the women's magazines ran an article and interview, they put a picture of her husband. I mean, really? Either don't put a picture at all or put one of HER! I found it so disgusting as if he's getting the credit for undergoing surgery... and all he really did is be married to her at the time she decided to do it!

Zehava

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:35 am
Why has noone mentioned that as of late these magazines have started to put more and more pictures of little girls. And not that little actually. Probably up to nine ten. Many of them in the ads are not really covered up. Short sleeves etc. The purim issue of binah had two girls on the cover.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:43 am
The magazines don't bother me as much as the children books that don't come with illustrations of women. Makes me so mad!!!! I do not not those books and wish we can widelyboycott boycott them.
(also, I won't buy books for my kids that seem to promote gay living lol. Men and boys only
Rolling Eyes)

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:48 am
Hope everyone's eyes don't burn but the FJJ has women in costumes this week. shock shock shock

In case you don't want to bring it into your home! Rolling Eyes Just got the paper (and loving it!!)

Can't wait to read all the backlash next week in the editor letters

fmt4

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 9:53 am
Zehava wrote:
Why has noone mentioned that as of late these magazines have started to put more and more pictures of little girls. And not that little actually. Probably up to nine ten. Many of them in the ads are not really covered up. Short sleeves etc. The purim issue of binah had two girls on the cover.

I think that's great. Little girls exist in this world just as much as little boys. And many people say that girls don't have to wear long sleeves until bat mitzvah

Yael

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 10:22 am
Reminder: every woman on Imamother has the right to voice her opinions without fear of being told she is crazy for having an extreme opinion.
Feel free to disagree and explain why. Refrain from ad hominem attacks such as "you are nuts for thinking this way."

ETA: overall the comments thus far have been pretty ok. This isn't a criticism of past posts but a reminder for future posts.

Simple1

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
Hope everyone's eyes don't burn but the FJJ has women in costumes this week. shock shock shock

In case you don't want to bring it into your home! Rolling Eyes Just got the paper (and loving it!!)

Can't wait to read all the backlash next week in the editor letters

Thanks for letting me know. I will go out and pick up an FJJ.
Page 4 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics