Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Toms River /Jackson permits

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 3:57 pm
We are debating between two houses right now. One is in Tom's River the other in Jackson. They both have basements that are not finished and we would like to finish the basement. Does anyone with experience in these places know which one would be easier to get a permit to finish a basement. Also does anyone know what the prices are of garbage pick up in these towns are and any other expenses you can think of that we don't know about.
Thanks

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 4:00 pm
Finish as in put in rooms, or finish as in be able to rent? ( the latter will not be possible.)

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 4:09 pm
We want to add bedrooms not to rent

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 4:33 pm
This link is direct to permit pricing. If you drill back you can find the building codes as well.

http://www.ecode360.com/157764.....76427

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 8:10 pm
My dh works in a construmction related field. Based on experience of his- the Jackson township was very difficult to work with. Everything was an issue. There seems to be a lot a animosity towards Jewish construction there... this was a year or so ago but he doesn't accept jobs in Jackson for that reason. Things may have changed, so research on your own- just a heads up..

He never did a job requiring permits in Toms River.
Ironically the Howell township was easier and more pleasant to deal with than Lakewood. ;-)

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Mar 16 2017, 8:18 pm
Dh is in construction field too and did stuff. Without permits and had no issues. Not plumbing and such major work. But smaller construction type. Like moving walls and such. But not total makeovers. So can't tell you about permits.

He didn't need a permit for little things like that. I guess it's not good to do stuff there before you know how the people react. Then you can get into trouble. It's not worth it.

I myself did my basement in Lakewood and did it with a permit all legal. I'm not interested in chilul Hashem if they catch me.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 1:45 pm
My sis bought a house in Jackson where the previous (non-Jewish) owners had finished the basement illegally (playroom and guestroom). She had to take out permits and close them out before she could get a CO on the house. It was a royal pain in the neck, cost extra $$, and delayed her being able to move in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating