Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
What pet to get?
Previous  1  2

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 9:07 pm
Thanks everyone for your input and advice.(and those bird pictures - so cute!) It was all very helpful to us. I'm leaning towards guinea pigs. Based on the responses those seem like a good choice. (so did rats but those doesn't have such a good name around here so I'd rather get something else).

little neshamala

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 10:27 pm
I dont advise a hamster. We got one, and did all the research (it was actually a breed that is considered more friendly) and it was very hard to tame. Always bit, no matter what we tried, and was simply not interested in any interaction besides eating things we fed him through the cage. If we took him out, he ran away. Kids lost interest right away...

When I was a young kid I had a guinea pig and it was terrific. No agression, very friendly, lets you handle it with no problem...

Totally recommend a guinea pig or two in a great cage.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Mar 18 2017, 11:34 pm
We have a hamster. It does not bite, loves to be held and played with, is fun to watch - plays in the wheel, the ball, etc.
Easy and cheap maintainance.
Another option that hasn't been mentioned- gerbils. Which do get in pairs. Not nocturnal so fun during the day and quiet at night

Happydance

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 1:10 am
Ug we hosted my sons class guinea pig and it smelled so terribly and was non stop going to the bathroom. Much more intense than a hamster

gp2.0

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 12:36 pm
Also, see this:

http://www.humanesociety.org/a......com/

Guinea pig cages sold in pet stores are almost always too small. They're good for transport but guinea pigs like to run and those tiny cages are horrible. If you don't have the space for a bigger cage, I still think a hamster is best. Gerbils could be a good choice too.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 12:39 pm
rlm wrote:
Ug we hosted my sons class guinea pig and it smelled so terribly and was non stop going to the bathroom. Much more intense than a hamster

They do poop a ton but in a larger cage they designate one area as the bathroom and mostly go there. So it's easy to change the litter there every day and then the rest of the litter every few days.

They're so cute and soft though and they're smarter than smaller rodents which could make the experience more rewarding. My guinea pigs would squeak hopefully every time the fridge door was opened and run around ecstatically when they heard the plastic bag of lettuce crinkling. LOL You can teach them some basic tricks too.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 12:43 pm
rlm wrote:

If you keep the cage clean the proper way it doesnt smell. Truly.

I love guiinea pigs. Theyre so affectionate, and not fast runners-they wont run away and get lost. Theyll sit in your lap and let you cuddle them...and theres so much fun you can have with them.

Best to google what kind of cages are best-you can make them a large enclosure and theyll have so much fun
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets