Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How does Satmar feel about Frieda Vizel's tours?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 9:24 am
In williamsburg? Have there been any attempts to stop the tours? Or do they not care?

I just saw that she's starting up her tours again and it got me wondering how the people in the neighborhood might feel. She most certainly couldn't do these tours in KJ.

Maya

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 9:45 am
Few people even know about it, and nobody cares. She's not the only one doing tours in Williamsburg. An average Shabbos has many tour buses riding down Lee Ave and dropping tourists off to check out the sights. Nobody gives them a second glance.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 9:56 am
Williamsburg is a mix of chassidim, hipsters, ordinary secular people... No one group "owns" Williamsburg.

It's right near Manhattan, and many tourists include it on their list of places to visit...

She doesn't bother or disrupt anyone, so why should anyone care?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
Williamsburg is a mix of chassidim, hipsters, ordinary secular people... No one group "owns" Williamsburg.

It's right near Manhattan, and many tourists include it on their list of places to visit...

She doesn't bother or disrupt anyone, so why should anyone care?

Oh boy do they care but they know they can't do anything about it.

Coffee Addict

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 6:48 pm
What tours is she doing? I have no idea what you guys are talking about!

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 6:49 pm
amother wrote:

It's actually amusing. I have never come across a disrespectful or annoying tourist. I see local bakeries profit from their purchases.

I live here. No one cares. At worst it's an eyeroll, combined with a "what can possibly be interesting about that pharmacy that they're all taking photos of?..."

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 6:59 pm
amother wrote:

I have relatives who live there and they couldn't care less. Williamsburg is not an exclusive enclave like KJ, it's a busy, bustling place with all sorts of people.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 7:05 pm
Coffee Addict wrote:

Frida Vizel is a former member of the Kiryas Yoel community who left Satmat and now operates a business running tours of Chassidic Williamsburg. It's called Visit Hasidim.com. (I googled; you could have, too).

How do you think you would feel if someone started running tours of your neighborhood so that strangers could get an up close and personal look at your way of life? In theory it's to generate understanding but there's plenty of plain rubbernecking going on as well.

Now how would you feel if the person running the tours was an OTD formerly frum person from your community?

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 7:07 pm
I dont give two hoots about what the girl does. Let her do whatever she wants. She still respects Judaism and Chasidim too. As long as she doesn't harass us then were good.
Its sad because she is such a nice girl its a pity that she didn't see the beauty in her own community.
I am hopeful that she will return one day.

doctorima

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 7:10 pm
Coffee Addict wrote:

http://www.visithasidim.com/

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 7:26 pm
Each and every Shabbos there are about 5-10 tour buses coming to Williamsburg about noon at the height of yidden coming from shul. They drop them off at the beginning of Lee Ave.
Then they walk all the way down and come back on Bedford Ave. We are definitely and eclectic group and a rare & interesting sight to see for people from all over the world....AND...NOBODY CARES...
The "SHABBOS SHRAYERS" agains the Eruv, get much more attention! LOL!!!!

WhatFor

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 7:48 pm
zaq wrote:
Frida Vizel is a former member of the Kiryas Yoel community who left Satmat and now operates a business running tours of Chassidic Williamsburg. It's called Visit Hasidim.com. (I googled; you could have, too).

How do you think you would feel if someone started running tours of your neighborhood so that strangers could get an up close and personal look at your way of life? In theory it's to generate understanding but there's plenty of plain rubbernecking going on as well.

Now how would you feel if the person running the tours was an OTD formerly frum person from your community?

I'm not sure how I would feel, necessarily, but I think a business savvy person from Williamsburg could see this as an opportunity to start their own tour company.

This way, they can control the narrative and lend insight into an otherwise generally insular community.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 7:52 pm
WhatFor wrote:
I'm not sure how I would feel, necessarily, but I think a business savvy person from Williamsburg could see this as an opportunity to start their own tour company.

This way, they can control the narrative and lend insight into an otherwise generally insular community.

The Amish are a good example of a community controlling the narrative.

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 7:58 pm
amother wrote:

I grew up and lived in Williamsburg until two years ago. These tours are going on for years already. I remember seeing her on shabbos, they'd board their bus across the house I grew up in. And I watched them often from my window.

I couldn't care less. For me it was entertainment on a long shabbos....

I've never heard a complaint.

I remember my sister mentioning that she knows her amd it was sad that she ended up this way.

There are lots of tourists coming to tour the "hasidic" Williamsburg. Her Groups were the most respectful groups. No noise, no trash, quiet amd quick.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 8:00 pm
And you really don't mind being gawked at like exhibits in a zoo?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 8:14 pm
zaq wrote:

NOT AT ALL!! in fact, as someone mentioned, it is actually good for the economy, if they come during the week, They buy our food...and frequent our stores....tourists are a very respectful , usually middle aged or older group of people!!!

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 8:28 pm
zaq wrote:

We gawk right back, if they take photos of a pharmacy. Wink Or we go right on with our business.

Do Parisians mind the tourists? Do Londoners?

I love when uber drivers ask me about our neighborhood. I love pointing out that we are not as homogeneous as they think. I never speak to anyone in the tour groups, mostly because I can't spare the time. It also seems like they don't want to bother people with questions. I like to think they are here to learn just a little bit more about us than the one dimensional portrait the media often paints.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:53 am
I've never been to williamsburg, but I would love to take a tour of the neighborhood one day. I never gave it much thought until I started following this site. I have become so fascinated by it. I actually thought of joining that tour once (I didn't realize it was run by a former member of Satmar with an agenda). I didn't think it would be disrespectful. In Israel there are similar tours of mea sharim and Bnei Brak all the time.
I used to live in the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem, there were plenty of tourists taking pictures of us on shabbat. It was weird that they would come to the kotel Friday night to catch the tefila.

Anyway, long story short. I will be in Brooklyn in a couple of months and I would like to see Williamsburg, (on a weekday) any recommendations?

ETA I don't plan on doing much gawking, but would really like to see the sites behind all the posts here on Williamsburg it sounds like such an interesting place. I'd love to see it for myself to understand the people there better.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 3:35 am
I want to take a tour of Williamsburg too. But I don't know if I want to spend $50. I'm sure not much of it would be new to me though.

In Crown Heights members of the community run such tours, no one minds, it's encouraged.

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 4:10 am
I want to run a tour. I will give the true experience and run everyone around in a beat up minivan with the inside filled with junk. It will be like the horse and buggy rides.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics