Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Which Beis Medresh allows college?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 12:33 am
Which Beis Medresh allows college and would that yeshiva let you go to Queens or Brooklyn College or do you have to go to Touro?

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 8:12 am
amother wrote:
Which Beis Medresh allows college and would that yeshiva let you go to Queens or Brooklyn College or do you have to go to Touro?

Lander college for men (touro-queens) has a yeshiva.

(I know it doesn't exactly answer your question. I just thought I'd put it out there)

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 9:12 am
He is not interested in the Lander College Program.

gold21

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:02 am
Ner Yisroel, but obviously would have to attend college there, not Queens/Bklyn college

Rabbi Zucker's yeshiva in Bklyn

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:33 am
Maayan hatorah
It's in Richmond hill (queens)
Ohr hachaim (kew gardens hills)
Maybe shor yshov in far rockaway.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:57 am
There's 2 new ones specifically for boys who are working or going to college or trade school. The boys live in the dorm, go to all yeshiva minyanim, learn at least one seder a day. One is in Yardley Pennsylvania, right outside of Lakewood, called Poalei Yisrael. The other is in Lakewood, don't know name.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 10:59 am
Also, please fact check for yourself, but I'm pretty sure I heard Net Yisrael in Baltimore isn't encouraging college for is Bais medrash any more

gold21

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 11:43 am
amother wrote:
There's 2 new ones specifically for boys who are working or going to college or trade school. The boys live in the dorm, go to all yeshiva minyanim, learn at least one seder a day. One is in Yardley Pennsylvania, right outside of Lakewood, called Poalei Yisrael. The other is in Lakewood, don't know name.

Are these yeshivos geared towards academically inclined boys or weaker students?

gold21

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 12:06 pm
Chofetz Chaim? Don't the Chofetz Chaim's allow college?

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 12:50 pm
gold21 wrote:
Are these yeshivos geared towards academically inclined boys or weaker students?

In Yardley there's a healthy mix, it's a small place, so shiurim and chavrusos are made to be multi level and fit the academic background of the boy. There are very academic boys there pursuing college degrees.

In Lakewood I'm pretty sure it's more for working boys, who don't want the typical learn all day Bais medrash.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:05 pm
amother wrote:

Yardley is about an hour from Lakewood without traffic. I don't define that as "right outside," but maybe others do.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:08 pm
Yeshiva of the Five Towns

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 1:50 pm
Rabbi Levitan's yeshiva in monsey. I'm pretty sure you can go to any college you want.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Mar 21 2017, 11:48 pm
What is Yeshiva of Five Towns?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 12:55 am
gold21 wrote:
Chofetz Chaim? Don't the Chofetz Chaim's allow college?

Chofetz Chaim allows it very bidieved, but definitely doesn't encourage. Maayan HaTorah in Richmond Hill is a branch of Chofetz Chaim that is geared for boys who aren't neccesarily cut out for all day learning, and they do allow it straight up.

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:15 am
amother wrote:
Chofetz Chaim allows it very bidieved, but definitely doesn't encourage. Maayan HaTorah in Richmond Hill is a branch of Chofetz Chaim that is geared for boys who aren't neccesarily cut out for all day learning, and they do allow it straight up.

Ah, ok, interesting.

There are definitely two types of yeshivos that "allow college":

1. Academic boys who are learning well and doing well in yeshiva who hashkafically believe in getting a college degree to enable them to make a good parnassah, and they view college as a "l'chatchila" option- and as the only sensible option;

2. Weaker students who are not learning well and therefore are encouraged to pursue a career as a "b'dieved" option, because they're simply not cut out for full time learning, and can do well channeling their energies elsewhere.

I think OP sound like she's looking for the first type of yeshiva.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:21 am
In that case, the only place that sees college as lechatchila is YU. (Ducking to avoid rotten tomatoes )

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:21 am
amother wrote:
In that case, the only place that sees college as lechatchila is YU. (Ducking to avoid rotten tomatoes )

Lol. What. So not true.

College is totally l'chatchila for many people.

I'm not vaguely YU type and consider college very important. Tons of people out there with same hashkafos.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:26 am
Not true. B"H in the yeshivish world, there are slowly options opening up for serious boys that want to work or go to college/trade school. In Lakewood and Yardley there are now new places.

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 22 2017, 1:31 am
amother wrote:
Not true. B"H in the yeshivish world, there are slowly options opening up for serious boys that want to work or go to college/trade school. In Lakewood and Yardley there are now new places.

Totally.

There have been yeshivos around for academic serious boys on a college track for years, but I think it's becoming even more mainstream in recent years. Which is great.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics