Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Allergies and pesach
1  2  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 12:10 pm
My ds is allergic to all dairy and egg products. For those of you who have kids with food allergies what do you give them to eat on pesach??? Almost everything is either dairy or has eggs!!

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 12:15 pm
Will he eat tuna? Almond butter? If neither of those is an option and he can't or won't eat fleishig protein at most meals, AYLOR about a heter specifically for your son for KLP kitniyot. We were told it's much less of an issue for a child under gil hachinuch.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 12:24 pm
How old is your child? It might be ok for him/her to eat kitniyos. Ask a rav.

Anyway, s/he can eat
nut butter with matza
tuna
Chicken
chicken cutlets
meat
french fries
mashed potatoes
fresh fruit
cooked fruit
vegetable soup

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 12:27 pm
I'm in the same situation, only mine is also allergic to fish, tree nuts, and peanut (not an issue on Pesach). Following this thread.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 12:29 pm
anonymrs wrote:
How old is your child? It might be ok for him/her to eat kitniyos. Ask a rav.

Anyway, s/he can eat
nut butter with matza
tuna
Chicken
chicken cutlets
meat
french fries
mashed potatoes
fresh fruit
cooked fruit
vegetable soup

He's 17 months. I forgot to mention he's also allergic to nuts and hes a crazy picky eater. He won't eat any chicken at all. Mashed potatoes depends on his mood but that's an idea.

Thanks!!

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:
I'm in the same situation, only mine is also allergic to fish, tree nuts, and peanut (not an issue on Pesach). Following this thread.

How old is he? Does he eat well otherwise or is he picky?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:
He's 17 months. I forgot to mention he's also allergic to nuts and hes a crazy picky eater. He won't eat any chicken at all. Mashed potatoes depends on his mood but that's an idea.

Thanks!!

Definitely ask about kitniyot! I wouldn't let a 17-month-old go a week without protein.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 12:49 pm
My daughter is allergic to many things. Pesach is not the easiest yt for these kids. Can you use a hand blender to blend chicken soup with chicken in it? Does he like cholent?

Is there one food that he's always happy to eat?

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 2:39 pm
What does he eat normally? Since he's picky, let us know what he eats on a regular basis and we'll see if we have ideas about how to make that pesach friendly.

Just so you know, I had a ton of allergies when I was young, and had a heter to eat any and all kitniyot over gil hachinuch too. As an adult, allergic to nuts only, and living in Israel where basically everything is nuts and nut oil, I got a heter to eat totzeret kitniyot (e.g., not rice, but rice milk. Or not corn, but corn oil, corn starch, etc.) - this is much more lenient and doesn't even require hatarat nedarim. So always ask.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 2:43 pm
My dc (2 of them) are allergic to dairy and nuts . I do jam or avocado on matzah. Bananas and chocolate syrup . I do buy the Klp cereals even though they are $$$ and nauseating as a treat. I make chocolate pudding sometimes if I find coconut milk klp. I also make jello with fruit bits in it. There are also klp oatmeal mixes but my kids weren't too fond of it-
The groceries have so many options now - crackers , cereals , cookies etc that you can pair with fruits / veggies or any spread that you can use...

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 2:44 pm
What does he normally eat that you're concerned about him missing on Pesach?

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 4:29 pm
amother wrote:
How old is he? Does he eat well otherwise or is he picky?

She's a teen and BH eats pretty well.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 26 2017, 7:15 pm
amother wrote:
What does he normally eat that you're concerned about him missing on Pesach?

He eats a ton of bread, couscous, farfel, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, macaroni, cereal..all the things that we can't eat on pesach

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 1:23 am
To another whose child is allergies to 🎏- u can make falsha fish.
Another who mentioned pudding- u can make it out of avocado and count it as part of meal.

Chicken nuggets can be coated with shredded Coconut (if ok allergywise and u eat in pesach)

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 2:23 am
amother wrote:
He eats a ton of bread, couscous, farfel, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, macaroni, cereal..all the things that we can't eat on pesach

17 months is a little young, but one thought on extending his range of foods- can you let him help you choose or prepare fruits or vegetables? My dd is a lot less suspicious of foods if she's seen them in their whole state first than if I try to plop down a prepared plate in front of her. She's closer to 2 but I'd guess we've been doing this at least since Chanuka and she's eating a wider range of veggies now.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 2:29 am
amother wrote:

You can definitely make fish sticks and chicken nuggets with the right crumbs. Gebrokts cereal is a good option for him even if you don't usually brok. Buy takeout matzah farfel as they make it really good. I'd also suggest the gebrokts bissli for kids who are having a hard time missing some of their regular foods. It has matzah and can be filling in between meals.
Would he go for mashed potatoes and French fries? A thick filling soup? Or maybe cream of chicken soup?

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Sep 18 2018, 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 3:33 am
amother wrote:

I second ra_mom's suggestions above. Also, can you make matzah rolls (like fake bread) or potato starch rolls- it doesn't taste like bread, but my mom used to make it sweeter and I basically lived on it. Seriously though, make cake and feed that to him. The extra sugar for a week isn't that bad, and cake has the same carb content as bread.

You can fry fish and chicken in matza meal or even potato starch to make something more similar to what he'll eat.

Pesach breakfast cereal is great too. Also, they make baby matza cereeal - sort of oatmeal-ish. With some added sugar and vanilla, it tastes really good and is very filling (even I eat it).

They also make kosher l'pesach potato-based couscous and pasta, consider getting it. Especially if you can get a heter for kitniyot, the corn based pasta is actually fine, and rice noodles (looks like spaghetti) are also good.

Also, consider other carbs - such as sweetened applesauce (I suggest sweetened, because they really are more likely to eat it that way). You can make 'tater tots' too and french fries (these are more palatable than just potatoes). And if you can do kitniyot, rice cakes are fantastic (what I lived on every pesach as an allergic child).

Also, if you can do kitniyot, there is so much to do with soy/tofu if yo ucan get kosher l'pesach.

Another good option is quinoa - it's quite like couscous in taste and texture, but actually more nutritious and is not kitniyot according to many opinions.

Also, apple butter (like peanut butter, but made from apples) is filling. If you can do kitniyot, and, if no peanut allergy, peanut butter is very filling, as is chummus or techina.

Also, when my daughter was around that age, she was very underweight. She doesn't even have any allergies, but because she was picky and underweight, rav said we can give her kitniyot no problem. So please ask!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 7:41 am
Call a rav. Very important to plan ahead. Years ago we fed our toddler rice on pesach at our friend's house, who had it at home according to her minhag (We didn't think she'd need it. We planned and planned the standard KLP items, but she just wasn't eating any starch and we didn't have any kitniyus ready for her, but she was starving. Rav said totally fine.)

cuties' mom

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 8:31 am
When ds was a toddler (allergic to milk, eggs, and nuts), I was told to give him soy on Pesach. The OU asked which brands of soymilk and soy yogurt I used in order to let me know they were just kitniyos and not chametz. There's also a pesach allergy cookbook called A Taste of Freedom. It has recipes for all the products that normally contain eggs, nuts, or other common allergens without any of them.
Edited because of typos

Last edited by cuties' mom on Mon, Mar 27 2017, 4:56 pm; edited 3 times in total

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Mar 27 2017, 1:02 pm
My son is also allergic to dairy, eggs and nuts. If you're on facebook, there's a group for frum moms of kids with allergies. There are a ton of recipes on there - I make pancakes on pesach, constantly for him. Also, my child LOVES schnitzel and potatoes, will literally eat it every day, for every meal. And so he does. I did ask a shaila for a kitniyos heter when he was 2 or 3 and only ate chummus with rice cakes every day, but my Rav said no. He asked if my son was ok with eating shnitzel for every meal and I said, yes, but I wasn't! He said, he's getting plenty of protein and nutrients, so no heter. We didn't need it. He ate a lot of turkey, meat and chicken and was fine. And my son is also picky, but for a week, he's fine and eats plenty Smile I also let a lot more junk - potato chips, etc. on Pesach, so no one goes hungry.

If you have any specific questions or recipes, etc. let m know.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics