Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Religious exemption & then selectively vaccinate. Possible?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 7:42 pm
I really want to pick and choose which vaccines to give but the school I send to will not accept that. So I was thinking of doing a religious exemption to enter school and then I would just give the vaccines I wish to give.
Would that work? Will anyone look after me?? (Govt or school?)

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 7:45 pm
It depends firstly on what state you live in. If it's NJ, your religious exemption is nullified as soon as you give any vaccine. And the school has a right to deny you admittance if you chose to do a religious exemption...

sarahmalka

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 7:47 pm
Your school will accept religious exemption? I personally think yes you could do that strategy, depending on the school nurse. We got a medical exemption which allows us to do a slower schedule, selecting which ones to do. Gave us a lot of flexibility.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:
It depends firstly on what state you live in. If it's NJ, your religious exemption is nullified as soon as you give any vaccine. And the school has a right to deny you admittance if you chose to do a religious exemption...

Im in NY.

Your saying that in NJ its nullified as soon as you give a vaccine. So I guess they do keep track? As soon as the doc sends in the info (about the vaccine you gave) they match it to your exemption?

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 7:52 pm
You can't do this in NY. Partial vaccination is not accepted. There's a universal record and it'll be obvious to anyone that sees an immunization record printed out by your doctor.

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 7:57 pm
To answer your last question, the school (not the government)will probably come after you especially before an inspection.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:00 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
Your school will accept religious exemption? I personally think yes you could do that strategy, depending on the school nurse. We got a medical exemption which allows us to do a slower schedule, selecting which ones to do. Gave us a lot of flexibility.

Not op but id love to ask how you did this. Can I pm you?
It may be after pesach
Thanks

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:10 pm
cnc wrote:
You can't do this in NY. Partial vaccination is not accepted. There's a universal record and it'll be obvious to anyone that sees an immunization record printed out by your doctor.

Ok, so that was going to be my next question. Any doctor who can see my childs vaccine record (they have access to it thru some govt website) would also be able to see that my child has a religious exemption?

Is an exemption noted just like a vaccine is?

And do you ever need to renew an exemption? Like when boosters come around?

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:20 pm
amother wrote:
Ok, so that was going to be my next question. Any doctor who can see my childs vaccine record (they have access to it thru some govt website) would also be able to see that my child has a religious exemption?

I honestly don't know if exemptions are universally recorded. But the schools require a new medical and immunization form every year, so how are you going to explain the fact that your immunization form shows immunizations, yet you have an exemption on file with the school ? At that point your exemption will no longer be valid. The only one you'll really have a problem with is the school at this point. No government officials are coming after you individually. .

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:22 pm
amother wrote:

If you have a religious exemption, that is given in to the school and stays on the school's file in case of audit/inspection. Your doctor only has a say if it's a medical exemption. Otherwise the only thing that will come up on a childs vaccine record is that no vaccines were given. That's my experience. Therefore, whenver you go to the hospital for any reason they will be pushing you to vaccinate and/or consider you negligent for not being up to date.

You need to give in a religious exemption to the school for Pre-1A (I think only if they have the upk program) and then again for 1st grade. I have no idea why. After that you're fine unless your child changes schools.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:44 pm
The doctor will not see the religious exemption (medical must come from the doctor), it's on the schools file.
Technically, the exemption is not valid if you have given some vaccines. The school can decide to run after you, or not.

Stars

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
Not op but id love to ask how you did this. Can I pm you?
It may be after pesach
Thanks

She wrote they had a medical exemption, which means her child had a medical reason for not being able to be vaccinated until later.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 9:10 pm
amother wrote:
The doctor will not see the religious exemption (medical must come from the doctor), it's on the schools file.
Technically, the exemption is not valid if you have given some vaccines. The school can decide to run after you, or not.

So basically the exemption is just for the school in case of an audit?

I actually know many people who have given vaccines and then stopped with a religious exemption. That im not worried about.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 11:13 pm
amother wrote:
So basically the exemption is just for the school in case of an audit?

I actually know many people who have given vaccines and then stopped with a religious exemption. That im not worried about.

That depends on the school- the school can refuse to accept your exemption because legally it isn't valid. In the case where they let it pass, they may give you an ultimatum once they have an audit coming up- either vaccinate or you child cannot come to school. And audits happen often, not just once every 10 years.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 11:37 pm
NY's policies on this are one of the strictest in the US. If you have a the religious exemption, it becomes invalid once your child gets a vaccine. You need to get all the required vaccines or none.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 11:49 pm
amother wrote:
That depends on the school- the school can refuse to accept your exemption because legally it isn't valid. In the case where they let it pass, they may give you an ultimatum once they have an audit coming up- either vaccinate or you child cannot come to school. And audits happen often, not just once every 10 years.

The school can't really refuse it if it's done properly and the exemption is legally valid. But they won't let it go easy. If you know what you're doing, you can fight it after they reject it. You'll also have to be willing to do that over and over with every program /school you're DC will ever apply to.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 12:07 am
amother wrote:

There's a database with records of all vaccines that were given. If you're dc doesn't have any proof of vaccination, then auditor will ask to see if there's a valid exemption on file. I don't think the exemption has to be renewed. It has to be resubmitted to each program you're child applies to (camp, some jobs..).

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 12:17 am
amother wrote:
The school can't really refuse it if it's done properly and the exemption is legally valid. But they won't let it go easy. If you know what you're doing, you can fight it after they reject it. You'll also have to be willing to do that over and over with every program /school you're DC will ever apply to.

But the op is saying she wants to selectively vaccinate. That would render a religious exemption invalid according to ny law.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 12:39 am
I am an administrator in a school so I can tell you that the dept of health throws the responsibility on us as opposed to the doctor's
A school has to accept your child if you have a religious exemption note with the medical records attached for whatever vaccines you did allow the child to receive and they are up to date.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 12:41 am
amother wrote:

I will disagree with you. I had an inspection and that wasn't the case. Once you have a religious exemption all parties involved have to accept it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics