Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Religious exemption & then selectively vaccinate. Possible?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 1:13 am
The dept of health looks out for a religious exemption or two because they have a special category for that.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 9:31 am
I'm not OP but also wondering, so there's no possible way I can selectively vaccinate or delay vaccination in NY if my child is in a school? Why is it all or nothing? That's really frustrating.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 9:49 am
amother wrote:
I will disagree with you. I had an inspection and that wasn't the case. Once you have a religious exemption all parties involved have to accept it.

So would you know whether the religious exemption would show up on my childs vaccine record??

Im thinking to hand in a religious exemption to enter school. Then I wud switch doctors for whenever I want to give a specific vaccine. But, for the school my childs primary care physician would be the one where I dont vaccinate. Would that work??

Bottom line I have two questions:
1. Would the doctor by whom I will vaccinate be able to see on my childs universal vaccine record that I submitted a religious exemption?

2. Will the school ever find out that I do vaccinate if the physician they have on file for my child doesn't ever vaccinate my child (because I do it somewhere else)?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
So would you know whether the religious exemption would show up on my childs vaccine record??

Im thinking to hand in a religious exemption to enter school. Then I wud switch doctors for whenever I want to give a specific vaccine. But, for the school my childs primary care physician would be the one where I dont vaccinate. Would that work??

Bottom line I have two questions:
1. Would the doctor by whom I will vaccinate be able to see on my childs universal vaccine record that I submitted a religious exemption?

2. Will the school ever find out that I do vaccinate if the physician they have on file for my child doesn't ever vaccinate my child (because I do it somewhere else)?

Again a religious exemption should cover both. You as a mother have a choice which vaccines to give, a doctor can have beliefs and theories but you are the one to decide which vaccines to give. and what I tell the moms attach to the religious education the vaccines you did allow the doctor to give.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 11:31 am
amother wrote:
Again a religious exemption should cover both. You as a mother have a choice which vaccines to give, a doctor can have beliefs and theories but you are the one to decide which vaccines to give. and what I tell the moms attach to the religious education the vaccines you did allow the doctor to give.

The doctor doesn't have "beliefs or theories" anymore than you do.
And why can't a religious private school not accept a religious exemption? If they say it goes against their religion or whatnot?

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 11:42 am
amother wrote:

I don't know which state you're in, but you're actually wrong. I'm a school nurse btw, so know about this as well.
Technically, the parents can write up a religious exemption against specific vaccines, and that would work. However, every single religious exemption I have seen is written up in a way that shows the Jewish religion opposes all (don't think they would be able to come up with something religious to target specific vaccines only; that's usually with a medical exemption). In that case, the religious exemption IS in fact invalid- because the parent is not in keeping with what they wrote. The school has every right not to accept it- and there is no way a parent can stand up in court with it if they did indeed selectively vaccinate, yet claim to be against all vaccines. I hope I'm clear here...
To answer your question op, there is a central database that all healthcare providers, and schools have access to. It's all the same one- if you gave a vaccine, no matter which doctor gave it, it will be on there for all to see.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 11:44 am
I was told by the school that a religious exemption only covers giving zero vaccines. It won't cover giving selective vaccines or giving vaccines on an alternate schedule.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 11:58 am
amother wrote:
The doctor doesn't have "beliefs or theories" anymore than you do.
And why can't a religious private school not accept a religious exemption? If they say it goes against their religion or whatnot?

I would think that they can.

If a family applied to, say, a school in Monsey, but very clearly informed the school that they (the family) believed that Judaism held that electricity could be used on Shabbat, the school would be free to say that your interpretation of Judaism is different from ours, our school is not for you.

Why are vaccines different? Its a fundamentally different interpretation of the religion.

In any case, if your genuine religious belief is that Judaism obligates you not to give certain vaccinations, but to give others, then you should articulate that in a religious exemption. I've no clue what that would say.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 12:33 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I was told by the school that a religious exemption only covers giving zero vaccines. It won't cover giving selective vaccines or giving vaccines on an alternate schedule.

From my experience have an inspection I had a student who gave in the few shots she did take and the religious exemption letter and they were ok with it. Btw I am in nyc

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 12:35 pm
amother wrote:
I would think that they can.

If a family applied to, say, a school in Monsey, but very clearly informed the school that they (the family) believed that Judaism held that electricity could be used on Shabbat, the school would be free to say that you're interpretation of Judaism is different from ours, our school is not for you.

Why are vaccines different? Its a fundamentally different interpretation of the religion.

In any case, if your genuine religious belief is that Judaism obligates you not to give certain vaccinations, but to give others, then you should articulate that in a religious exemption. I've no clue what that would say.

Again for each child that does not conform to the regulations of New York City Health Department they get a $2,000 fine that's why they're very scared but legally they must accept your child if you give them a religious exemption

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know which state you're in, but you're actually wrong. I'm a school nurse btw, so know about this as well.
Technically, the parents can write up a religious exemption against specific vaccines, and that would work. However, every single religious exemption I have seen is written up in a way that shows the Jewish religion opposes all (don't think they would be able to come up with something religious to target specific vaccines only; that's usually with a medical exemption). In that case, the religious exemption IS in fact invalid- because the parent is not in keeping with what they wrote. The school has every right not to accept it- and there is no way a parent can stand up in court with it if they did indeed selectively vaccinate, yet claim to be against all vaccines. I hope I'm clear here...
To answer your question op, there is a central database that all healthcare providers, and schools have access to. It's all the same one- if you gave a vaccine, no matter which doctor gave it, it will be on there for all to see.

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me but from what I understand again having an inspection in my school I was told that they can give both I had a parent who gave a quarter of the vaccines and she also gave me a religious exemption for the ones that she did not give she decided to stop giving shots after the kid was a certain age and it was fine they were very happy with it so I'm not sure what you're referring to again I'm in NYC

cnc

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 1:01 pm
amother wrote:
Again for each child that does not conform to the regulations of New York City Health Department they get a $2,000 fine that's why they're very scared but legally they must accept your child if you give them a religious exemption

The school can challenge your religious exemption.

cnc

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 1:02 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me but from what I understand again having an inspection in my school I was told that they can give both I had a parent who gave a quarter of the vaccines and she also gave me a religious exemption for the ones that she did not give she decided to stop giving shots after the kid was a certain age and it was fine they were very happy with it so I'm not sure what you're referring to again I'm in NYC

Did she give any shots AFTER she filed the exemption? Because then the exemption wouldn't be valid.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 2:19 pm
amother wrote:

Why? If it's a religious school they can say our religious beliefs include giving all vaccinations.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 3:14 pm
amother wrote:
Why? If it's a religious school they can say our religious beliefs include giving all vaccinations.

Just like the lunch program is custom made for kosher menu and stuff. Same here with immunizations and we do have regulations in this country

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 3:42 pm
amother wrote:
Just like the lunch program is custom made for kosher menu and stuff. Same here with immunizations and we do have regulations in this country

That makes no sense at all.

The government doesn't ship in lunches to schools. They do, however, set certain guidelines that must be followed in order to qualify for free or reduced cost lunches / breakfasts. The school then decides what to serve, within those guidelines. A Jewish school would serve kosher food within those guidelines. A madrassa would serve halal food. The School of the Flying Spaghetti Monster would never serve pasta, lest we eat our lord.

That has nothing to do with vaccines.

First off, private schools don't have to require vaccinations. They can decide to do so, though. Presumably, you all have chosen schools that don't jive with your beliefs, as they require vaccinations. (Public schools do require vaccinations.) Moreover, in most states, private schools that require vaccines don't have to accept anything other than a medical exemption. Because, well, they are private schools. Moreover, if the official position of the religion is that vaccines are not problematic, then they clearly don't have to accept a religious exemption.

See, eg, http://www.nvic.org/faqs/schoo......aspx

cnc

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 3:48 pm
amother wrote:
That makes no sense at all.

The government doesn't ship in lunches to schools. They do, however, set certain guidelines that must be followed in order to qualify for free or reduced cost lunches / breakfasts. The school then decides what to serve, within those guidelines. A Jewish school would serve kosher food within those guidelines. A madrassa would serve halal food. The School of the Flying Spaghetti Monster would never serve pasta, lest we eat our lord.

That has nothing to do with vaccines.

First off, private schools don't have to require vaccinations. They can decide to do so, though. Presumably, you all have chosen schools that don't jive with your beliefs, as they require vaccinations. (Public schools do require vaccinations.) Moreover, in most states, private schools that require vaccines don't have to accept anything other than a medical exemption. Because, well, they are private schools. Moreover, if the official position of the religion is that vaccines are not problematic, then they clearly don't have to accept a religious exemption.

See, eg, http://www.nvic.org/faqs/schoo......aspx

This

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 6:02 pm
I'm all for delayed and spaced schedules, but if your child is old enough for school, then your child should be caught up by then.

Besides, if a school can refuse your child because you have a TV, or your sheitel is too long, then they can certainly refuse you for other reasons. They could look at your exemption, and then tell you that you're not a good fit because your husband wears colored shirts and jeans. You'd never know that the real reason was the vaccines. If they don't want an unvaxxed kid, they'll find a way to keep him/her out.

If you're truly dead set against vaccines, then home schooling is always an option. Either that, or you can find a bunch of other like minded parents, and start a vax free school of your own. You'll probably get tons of responses, just from the Jewish community alone.

sarahmalka

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 6:17 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

I don't know if this differs state by state or what, but my experience is that religious exemptions do not have to be all or nothing if, say, a person is religiously opposed to certain vaccines that contain fetal tissue, or a vaccine like HPV that is related almost exclusively to s*xual contact. In fact in my location where the religious Jewish schools do not accept religious exemptions at all, these schools do not require the HPV vaccination.
I am not in NY.

FYI if this helps anyone, I was able to find open-minded MDs by getting involved in holistic moms groups and getting referrals from other alternative-minded mothers. Or, contacting licensed (or licenseable) NDs and asking them who the open-minded MDs and DOs are in the area.
OP, I applaud your efforts and trusting your intuition about not vaxing your son. Good luck!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 6:17 pm
FranticFrummie, NY State currently has in legislation laws to mandate HPV vaccine. Let's say a parent wants to delay that till their kid is 14 instead of 11, for example. They would have no recourse.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics