Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Rabbit food on Pesach

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 5:10 am
Do you have a rabbit? What do you do about the food that has chometz in it? The pet store told me she can live on just the hay, but I can't imagine our rabbit being ok with that. I am going to ask a sheila, but curious to hear from others what they do.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 6:26 am
You don't give it all your vegetable peels and cores?

alef12

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 6:56 am
I've had rabbits for a long time. Should be fine with just the hay but I also supplement with some black oil sesame seeds (sold as birdseed) and some romaine leaves (don't buy the checked/washed for your rabbit!) vegetable peels in small amounts too.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 8:27 am
I thought this was going to be a complaint about how much marror you have to eat at the seder. LOL

Check with your vet, and see how much roughage your rabbits need. You can give them all the kitniyot they want. Pets are Sephardic!

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 8:37 am
I have had rabbits for over 25 years. If you have not been giving your rabbit any fresh greens at all, do not start now all of a sudden or you risk bloat and all sorts of horrible life-threatening gastrointestinal problems. You really need to discuss this with your vet. Do you have one? A pet store is absolutely not the place to get info about how to care for a rabbit. Please see this site for more info on general rabbit care in the meantime: http://rabbit.org/faq-diet/

Seas

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 9:32 am
Rabbits are perfectly fine with just hay. I've been doing that for a long time and they're hale and healthy. I supplement with grass pellets (pure grass, mainly as a nosh) and bits and pieces of veggies that I get from the store which they would've thrown away. Specially formulated rabbit food is just a con to separate you from your money.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 8:46 am
That is interesting. The store told me she could live on just hay. But, my rabbit is not the greatest at eating a lot of hay and she is sooo hungry when I give her the rabbit food. I gave a list of vegetables that the store gave me that she is allowed to eat. But, I can't give her more than she is used to.

I really feel bad for her not to give the food she is used to.

Our dayan said I can't give her chometz.

Maybe

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 9:12 am
What? rabbits no longer eat carrots,I better tel my optician. LOL

Vegi peel are nutritious just a little cheaper than "Rabbit food". But there is no ad campaign for that.

Top of carrot green leaves are usually free http://rabbit.org/suggested-ve.....diet/

Seas

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 3:54 pm
amother wrote:
That is interesting. The store told me she could live on just hay. But, my rabbit is not the greatest at eating a lot of hay and she is sooo hungry when I give her the rabbit food. I gave a list of vegetables that the store gave me that she is allowed to eat. But, I can't give her more than she is used to.

I really feel bad for her not to give the food she is used to.

Our dayan said I can't give her chometz.

She's not "sooo hungry", it's just that it's a tasty food that's being rationed. Fill her bowl with rabbit food and keep it filled for the rabbit to eat freely, and you'll see it won't be the greatest rabbit-food eater either.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 11:26 pm
How is she doing, OP?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets