Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
If your hotel cancelled for pesach 17 what are you doing?
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 8:57 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Integrated room automation systems are tied into a number of physical plant networks, not just lights. IRAS are routinely act as heat sensors and transmit to HVAC systems, so it's likely that taking a single or block of rooms offline isn't realistic or possible.

It turns out that after the Dolce refused to accommodate Pesach for Less with their automation systems, the news was publicized and lots of booked weekend programs at the Dolce started freaking out and canceling. The Dolce end up giving in, finding a solution and accommodating everyone afterall. Except that it was too late for Pesach for Less and they won't do business with them anymore.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 3:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It turns out that after the Dolce refused to accommodate Pesach for Less with their automation systems, the news was publicized and lots of booked weekend programs at the Dolce started freaking out and canceling. The Dolce end up giving in, finding a solution and accommodating everyone afterall. Except that it was too late for Pesach for Less and they won't do business with them anymore.

I've read several different versions as to why the Prime event in La Jolla was cancelled. The only consistent story I've read was that there is a lawsuit. I'll wait until I can read the filing before holding forth with an opinion as to why it was cancelled. I did find out an opinion why the St. Regis in DP was not being used but, out of respect for all parties it's nothing I would share.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 7:20 pm
ectomorph wrote:
someone ran a scam doing exactly that some years ago

Whoa! Do you have a link? That's crazy.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 7:38 pm
I guess I should be more sympathetic to people who may have lost deposits and are scrambling for a pesach place but I am way more sympathetic to myself who will probably never every be able to afford to go to such a program. And have been cooking non stop for a week.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 9:42 pm
amother wrote:
I guess I should be more sympathetic to people who may have lost deposits and are scrambling for a pesach place but I am way more sympathetic to myself who will probably never every be able to afford to go to such a program. And have been cooking non stop for a week.

I agree 100%!!!
My cousin had her plans canceled but was able to get into another program, there's parts of me that is very jealous! She does NOT work hard all year and this is her break! She has a family member who pays the bill!

Pesach is difficult as we don't manage all year and now we have to pay all these huge bills, clean, scrub, shop (money I absolutely don't have) and cook on my own as I don't have help from DH (complicated issue) or can't afford help, I work 70 hours a week to survive and I'm falling apart.
I have a hard time finding sympathy for anyone who can afford to go to a hotel!
I can't afford a new shirt, pants, shoes or underwear for anyone in my family, so my sympathy is non existent!
I wish I wasn't like this embarrassed

sourstix

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 10:51 pm
Pearl your describing what life is like. Welcome. There are no consistencies in how Hashem runs the world. People who have money to go to hotels have other problems me and you don't have. Don't be jealous I'm sure they would give up some of it to not have their problems.

Every person has their challenges. Don't think oh she's rich her life is magnificent. Neh.

And their are plenty of peop,that are not well and cannot make pesach a
One and rely on these programs.

I know it's hard to do all the work alone but I wouldn't give it up for a moment to see my children's happy faces by the Sede. It's what gives me strength to plug on.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 4:37 pm
I've gotten pms asking me whether it was due to antisemitism that the programs "in Europe" were canceled. AFAIK, no. Merci!

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 8:44 pm
sourstix wrote:
Pearl your describing what life is like. Welcome. There are no consistencies in how Hashem runs the world. People who have money to go to hotels have other problems me and you don't have. Don't be jealous I'm sure they would give up some of it to not have their problems.

Every person has their challenges. Don't think oh she's rich her life is magnificent. Neh.

Off topic, but this is just not true. Some people simply have it better than others. Just as some are less fortunate than you are, some are more fortunate. That's life.

If you can afford to go to a hotel, you can afford to have someone clean your house for Pesach, cater your meals, and have help to serve and clean in your house. So while it's no fun to have a vacation cancelled, most of the people who were planning to go away should be fine.(Obviously, there can be family, religious, and other reasons to go away that aren't solved by staying at home with help. For some, these programs really are necessary, and I am glad they exist.)

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 10:19 pm
Wondering if any of the people who got canceled, made Pesach at home at the end.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:
http://www.pesachforless.com/2017/index.html

What happened with pesach for less? Are they still around?

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 11:57 pm
amother wrote:
I agree 100%!!!
My cousin had her plans canceled but was able to get into another program, there's parts of me that is very jealous! She does NOT work hard all year and this is her break! She has a family member who pays the bill!

Pesach is difficult as we don't manage all year and now we have to pay all these huge bills, clean, scrub, shop (money I absolutely don't have) and cook on my own as I don't have help from DH (complicated issue) or can't afford help, I work 70 hours a week to survive and I'm falling apart.
I have a hard time finding sympathy for anyone who can afford to go to a hotel!
I can't afford a new shirt, pants, shoes or underwear for anyone in my family, so my sympathy is non existent!
I wish I wasn't like this embarrassed

I'm currently at a pesach program that cost the earth!!! I'm loving it bH but if I can tell you some of the sad situations of people here with loads of money but have it so hard Sad

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 12:18 am
amother wrote:
I'm currently at a pesach program that cost the earth!!! I'm loving it bH but if I can tell you some of the sad situations of people here with loads of money but have it so hard Sad

But so do people without money. At least having money makes things go a bit easier. When I am in hell and can afford a massage for example, it makes all the difference. Not that I can dream of affording a hotel at this time. I just very much dislike when people talk about the problems rich people have. As if poor people don’t have the same problems. That’s like saying pretty people have it so hard. Guess what. I’m pretty and I have it hard, but I don’t for a second think that people who don’t look great are having it any easier. If anything I think to myself that at least I can feel good about the way I look when everything around me feels like hell.

Sorry that was quite a tangent but this thread is a year old anyway so who cares.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 8:28 am
amother wrote:
What happened with pesach for less? Are they still around?

This year he did kosher for pesach catering for the public instead of a hotel program, as he couldn't find a hotel.
We ordered from him and the food was delicious.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 8:34 am
I'm so happy to hear that the people who ran pesachforless were able to do something this year! I looked for them online and didn't see any hotel program and felt bad for them after what happened last year. We went one year and really liked them as people, I wish them much hatzlacha!

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 9:08 am
amother wrote:
But so do people without money. At least having money makes things go a bit easier. When I am in hell and can afford a massage for example, it makes all the difference. Not that I can dream of affording a hotel at this time. I just very much dislike when people talk about the problems rich people have. As if poor people don’t have the same problems. That’s like saying pretty people have it so hard. Guess what. I’m pretty and I have it hard, but I don’t for a second think that people who don’t look great are having it any easier. If anything I think to myself that at least I can feel good about the way I look when everything around me feels like hell.

Sorry that was quite a tangent but this thread is a year old anyway so who cares.

That's ridiculous and, frankly, cruel.

Rich people can have problems. Pretty people can have problems. And its obnoxious to diminish their problems because of issues unrelated to their wealth or beauty.

Nate Solder plays for the Patriots. His 2-1/2 year old son has cancer. You want to tell him that his wealth means he doesn't have problems?

John Travolta, Mike Tyson, Eric Clapton, Marie Osmond, Keanu Reeves, Joe Biden, Robert Plant, Vince Neil -- all lost children. But I guess that doesn't matter, because they all are wealthy.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 9:13 am
No you completely twisted my words.

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 9:24 am
SixOfWands wrote:

Rich people can have problems. Pretty people can have problems. And its obnoxious to diminish their problems because of issues unrelated to their wealth or beauty.

Nate Solder plays for the Patriots. His 2-1/2 year old son has cancer. You want to tell him that his wealth means he doesn't have problems?

John Travolta, Mike Tyson, Eric Clapton, Marie Osmond, Keanu Reeves, Joe Biden, Robert Plant, Vince Neil -- all lost children. But I guess that doesn't matter, because they all are wealthy.

Wealth can serve as a lubricant to with the problems you mention. With wealth, you can get the best treatment for a cancer stricken child. You can fly him in comfort and get the respect from the medical profession to get special treatment.

Without money, you are stressed paying the bills. Who is going to sit with your child if both parents are out working to support the roof?

I can't imagine the unendurable agony of losing a child. But not having to worry about the money for the funeral or grief counselors doesn't add to the problems. What if the parents aren't functioning? With wealth you can hire help to watch the little ones and take care of the house.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 9:29 am
SixOfWands wrote:

Yes you totally misunderstood her. Go back and reread this entire page.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 9:31 am
Squishy wrote:
Wealth can serve as a lubricant to with the problems you mention. With wealth, you can get the best treatment for a cancer stricken child. You can fly him in comfort and get the respect from the medical profession to get special treatment.

Without money, you are stressed paying the bills. Who is going to sit with your child if both parents are out working to support the roof?

I can't imagine the unendurable agony of losing a child. But not having to worry about the money for the funeral or grief counselors doesn't add to the problems. What if the parents aren't functioning? With wealth you can hire help to watch the little ones and take care of the house.

Thank you. You expressed it better than I did.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics