Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Until what time do you stay up on Motzei Pesach?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Until what time do you stay up on Motzei Pesach?
Were asleep same time as usual  
 16%  [ 25 ]
We go to sleep by midnight  
 24%  [ 37 ]
We go to sleep before 2 am  
 39%  [ 59 ]
We go to sleep before 4 am  
 15%  [ 24 ]
We go to sleep before 6 am  
 0%  [ 1 ]
We never make it to bed  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Other, please clarify  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 151

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 9:42 am
bigbird wrote:
Is this halachically allowed?

At night you use the white platter. Instead of taking out the glass one,you wash it and use it for the next course or the seuda the next day.
End result? One platter to wash motzei y"t.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:06 am
All of our Pesach stuff is boxed and put away, but not all of our year-round things are organized and available.

DH took all of the leftover junk to his office, except one gluten-free cake that I froze for a friend with celiac. All the leftover meat, chicken and vegetables were packed up and sent back to college with the oldest child. Tonight, we start fresh.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:03 pm
Went away second days. Came home at 1 am. Dh uncovered milchigs counter. I am going to try now to put everything on dining room table for dh to put away. (I have 3 pesach cabinets in my kitchen). I have 3 kids home sickšŸ˜£ and did a chometz shopping after a trip to the dictionary this morning. (And I have to put in hours at work from home during to kids not feeling well)

water_bear88

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:07 pm
Squishy wrote:
We are about almost done - oven just needs to be wiped from self cleaning. We worked until midnight. I worked straight through while DH and the kids took a break to eat around 11.

I answered we were up until 2 in the poll because DH and I didn't get to sleep right away.

I'm genuinely curious- why do you need to self-clean the oven after Pesach?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:17 pm
I don't make pesach, but my upstairs neighbors (including young children) definitely never made it to bed. I can attest as they kept me up all night banging and stamping and dragging and making a general ruckus.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:26 pm
We were in bed by 1. I washed, he dried. Older kids helped pack dishes in boxes. We still need to clean sink inserts and counter covers, and do a wash of dish towels, Matza covers etc. A couple nursing breaks for me.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:35 pm
Up till 3 a.m. Just DH and I. All our guests left right after yomtov. I spent most of yomtov home with the flu and couldn't do very much after, so DH did most of the work. We got everything Pesach out of the kitchen, but still have lots of chometz pots, utensils and food products left to bring back upstairs.

pumpkinsbubby

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:36 pm
Just wanted to comment that this was a great question. It's fun to see how others get things done, or don't get things done. But it shows that we're all in this together Smile

sky

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:41 pm
Iymnok wrote:
At night you use the white platter. Instead of taking out the glass one,you wash it and use it for the next course or the seuda the next day.
End result? One platter to wash motzei y"t.

That works if you use one platter. I had multiple salad bowls, dip bowls, cutlery, pots, pans. I could only wash if I needed it again on yom tov. Some items I new I wouldn't reuse. and many were used until the last meal.
Then there all the items used all pesach - salt and sugar dispensers, cutlery caddy, napkin holder, urn, kettle, dish racks, matzah holder, cake platter, etc.

We finished about 1:00 am - we have no storage in the kitchen and everything has to packed up in boxes and put away in very difficult to access storage - most boxes are still sitting in my bedroom waiting to be put away.

Cleanup itinerary:
- Pack up Pesach toys (kids do this)
- White tablecloth laundry load
- Wash and Dry all dirty items.
- Wash Towel laundry
- Wash dish racks, sink, garbage can, broom
- Fold washed laundry items
- Pack up all items in boxes and wrap well
- go through food items and find what to keep for next year and put away
- carry boxes to storage areas
- Take notes of all items put away and what to remember for next year

My kitchen is a mess and chametz items are scattered around the house and need to be put back into the kitchen but I'm not in a rush to get that done. (I'm working today with all kids home...)

Last edited by sky on Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:42 pm
amother wrote:
OP here.

Anyone else have lots of sleep-over company for Y"T, including large families, and used all their dishes second days, and went to sleep early?

If yes, how?

Yes, we had four other families here (family of 10, family of 7, and two families of 6.) We were finished by 11. Everyone helped, either with bathing the children and keeping them out of the kitchen or with cleaning up and packing things away. Kids over 9-10 helped too.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:43 pm
amother wrote:
I don't make pesach, but my upstairs neighbors (including young children) definitely never made it to bed. I can attest as they kept me up all night banging and stamping and dragging and making a general ruckus.

Not a problem. Next year take your upstairs neighbors with you, wherever you go.

Theyll be in bed the same time as you.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:58 pm
For those who have pesach kitchens-- do you still make sure everything is clean/in place before bringing in chometz to the rest of the house?

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, we had four other families here (family of 10, family of 7, and two families of 6.) We were finished by 11. Everyone helped, either with bathing the children and keeping them out of the kitchen or with cleaning up and packing things away. Kids over 9-10 helped too.

Wow. shock You must have a huge house. Where did everyone sleep?

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 3:33 pm
One year I started having contractions last day pesach. I was determined to get my dishes away. Got them in all in boxes and went to the hospital about 11pm.
(didn't put them in the attic though). Baby came about 2 hours later.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 4:02 pm
amother wrote:
Not a problem. Next year take your upstairs neighbors with you, wherever you go.

Theyll be in bed the same time as you.

If it was only last night I wouldn't be upset. But it's more often than not.
It frustrating to get into bed at 12:30 at night (after cleaning up at my in-laws mind you) and having to wake up at 6:00 the following morning to go to work and being kept up all night.

tichellady

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 4:13 pm
amother wrote:
If it was only last night I wouldn't be upset. But it's more often than not.
It frustrating to get into bed at 12:30 at night (after cleaning up at my in-laws mind you) and having to wake up at 6:00 the following morning to go to work and being kept up all night.

Ignore her comment. Of course you can be upset that you weren't able to sleep because they were loud . No need to justify why that it is upsetting.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 4:50 pm
I haven't made Pesach yet, but we always help turn back over at my in laws or parents. It usually takes a couple of hours for the bulk of the work to be finished. Some things take a little longer such as washing the tablecloths and towels.

The little kids get put to bed before havdala and the bigger kids help with age appropriate tasks. We wash dishes after each meal, so there isn't such a huge pile waiting in the sink. My mom is quite organized about such things and as leftovers get out away after meals she makes sure they go in foil pans or Ziploc bags rather than in the Pesachdic containers. That still leaves some things to wash after the chag, but I was almost done washing them by the time the men came home from shul. My sister dried and they were ready to go downstairs pretty quickly.

Right after havdala my mom gives instructions over what to bring down in what order and we all take turns going up and downstairs while she goes downstairs and organizes things on that end. My dad cleans the sink inserts and counters at the same time. Once all the Pesach stuff is downstairs getting put away by my mother we put the upstairs kitchen back to normal and have a scavenger hunt for all the things that were hidden away to clear out some cupboards for Pesach. It's a cooperative effort and goes quickly. Someone runs out at some point to buy chometz cereal for breakfast and maybe a treat for those of us working so hard.

Why wait until your company leaves? Put them to work! It's the least they can do in return for being hosted for Pesach?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 5:05 pm
Some of what is done is also personality. My MIL cleanup takes hours -
- she likes to polish all silver and silver plated cutlery before putting away - then wrapping in paper and bags.
- Blech is scrubbed until it shines - even if burnt
- All pots are scrubbed until they shine like new
- Every item is checked to make sure it is spotless before packing away - she typically ends up rewashing many items to be sure. Like emptying every cutlery tray and holder and washing before packing it up to put away. I'll only do if necessary - like my kids left a drawer open when making cake - so I had to wash that cutlery tray - but I don't do all every year.
It obviously takes a very long time and isn't a one night job.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 7:03 pm
tichellady wrote:
Ignore her comment. Of course you can be upset that you weren't able to sleep because they were loud . No need to justify why that it is upsetting.

Haha! Im the one who has posted numerous times about kids jumping rope above me, that the ceiling shakes, and Ive been told to take a chill pill, etc.

My post on this thread suggesting that she take her upstairs neighbor with, was in response to what seemed like a once a year excessive noise situation, not ALL YEAR ROUND like I have! No mention was made that its a constant problem, like I have.

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 7:05 pm
Yt finished here at 21:40. As soon as it was out I was cleaning all the dishes, milky, meat and parvee. I dried and put it away in the cupboard. Dh cleaned off the table in the dining room and he started putting everything there. I went to sleep. In the morning we placed everything else in the dining room and finished cleaning up some stuff that was still dirty.

My dh nephew came in the afternoon to pack up everything in boxes and stuck them in the peasch cupboard. But before that he went into the cellar and brought up all my regular stuff so I was busy all afternoon and night stripping off the covers in the cupboard and packing everything away. Plus I heated up soup and cooked some pasta. Dh brought bread so everyone ate,that with the,soup. I have one box left and I still have to strip off the covers in the fridges and organize the food.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics