Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Can I save it for next year?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 4:19 pm
myself wrote:
I actually just checked my vinegar and it expires before Pesach next year. Despite the fact that it was purchased just before this Pesach.

Manufacturers put expiration dates on products without telling you what the dates mean. Sometimes they don't mean anything, just they arbitrarily decide it should be used within a year or five. And some don't put expiration dates at all. A use by date can mean that flavor and color or texture may change but the product is still safe to eat. I keep my bottle of Pesach vinegar for years. Of course if you notice that the product has changed color, smells off, has sprouted greenish fur or has little particles floating in it that weren't there when you bought it, throw it out. Once the seal is broken on any package, all bets are off. Anything at all may have been introduced , especially if stored or handled carelessly.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 4:19 pm
If your washing machine or dish washer smells musty, run a cycle through will all of your Pesach vinegar dumped inside, and then run a second cycle of water only. It will clear out any mold or mineral deposits.

If you are making challah and you're not sure your yeast is still good, add a teaspoon of Pesach baking powder to give it a boost.

The only thing I save to the next year is salt, pepper, and unopened chicken soup mix. I make a mental note of everything left over after yontif, so that I know not to over-buy the next year. Storage is precious space, so I try to keep things as simple as possible.

water_bear88

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 4:21 pm
myself wrote:
I actually just checked my vinegar and it expires before Pesach next year. Despite the fact that it was purchased just before this Pesach.

Very unlikely that it will actually expire by then. Maybe not forever but I've got one bottle of vinegar of a type I don't use often that's been open for over 2 years and it's still good. Give it the old sniff test if you're concerned next year.

You can probably blame NJ laws for mandating food and beverages sold there have expiration dates of less than 2 years from manufacture. Even if you're in NY or elsewhere, assuming the brand is sold in NJ as well, they're probably to blame. Twisted Evil

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 7:29 pm
sky wrote:
Mustard seed is kitniyos.

My DH bought mustard this year and I found it especially disgusting, more so then in the past. It was very mayonnaisy.

It doesn't contain mustard seed. R' Blumenkrantz says it creates confusion but does not contain mustard. I have an unopened bottle.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 8:01 pm
I think youi are saying what I am - pesach mustard isn't mustard at all - but yellow mayonaise.

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 8:59 pm
sky wrote:
I think youi are saying what I am - pesach mustard isn't mustard at all - but yellow mayonaise.

It's worse I hope because it contains cotton seed oil. Please don't tell me Pesach mayonnaise does also.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 9:01 pm
Squishy wrote:
It's worse I hope because it contains cotton seed oil. Please don't tell me Pesach mayonnaise does also.

Pesach mayonnaise. Pesach potato chips, potato stix... All contain cottonseed oil.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 9:26 pm
I think the Pesach vegetable oil is really cottonseed oil also - I'm not sure what the difference is.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 9:27 pm
I would give them to a family that cant have gluten .

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 9:31 pm
sky wrote:
I think the Pesach vegetable oil is really cottonseed oil also - I'm not sure what the difference is.

Correct. Which is why I use extra light olive oil.

sarahmalka

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 9:48 pm
I would not save macaroons for a whole year. Anything oily has a chance of going rancid. You can really smell a difference if you want to do an experiment and save the can of macaroons until next year, open it and smell compared to a fresh container! I do save vinegar, as long as it smells good and doesn't look nasty. We use a Sharpie and mark all things with a date from year to year so we can tell how old it is!

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Pesach mayonnaise. Pesach potato chips, potato stix... All contain cottonseed oil.

I am sick, and I am angry! It is disgusting they don't label this cr@p masquerading as food with warnings.

There is no safe level to consume this garbage according to the national academy of science. How can the Rabbis support this?

According to Bon Appetit cottonseed oil is one of the worst oils.

http://www.bonappetit.com/tren.....ealth

"Cottonseed oil has a high ratio of saturated fat and may also contain traces of pesticides used when farming cotton crops. Double-whammy!"

sarahmalka

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:03 pm
Yeah Squishy I agree! There ARE other oils they could be using, like safflower or grapeseed oil. It's just that they're more expensive. I was also getting irate about the Lieber's almond milk which is utter ****: water, sugar, then some almonds in there. There's simply no need to have such a poor quality product.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:06 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
Yeah Squishy I agree! There ARE other oils they could be using, like safflower or grapeseed oil. It's just that they're more expensive. I was also getting irate about the Lieber's almond milk which is utter ****: water, sugar, then some almonds in there. There's simply no need to have such a poor quality product.

I'm actually drafting a letter to Gefen. I like their extra light olive oil. I get it for a good price. I like their mayo. Let them make an olive oil mayo for pesach. There are enough people who would pay extra for that. We don't need more expensive oil like safflower and grapeseed oil is just as bad (ok almost) as cottonseed oil.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:14 pm
How does Walnut oil compare?

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:18 pm
sarahmalka wrote:

The kosher food industry is a big business. Doesn't anyone care about the Jews instead of the dollars? What is wrong with the Rabbis that they allow GMO cottonseed oil without warnings? It used to be that 90% if kosher food was bought be people who wanted healthier food. What a joke.

You don't need any kind of hechtsher for EVOL for Pesach and year round. I can make my own potato chips which I rather do than feed my family trace pesticides.

My physician told me that homemade mayo is not healthy because of the raw eggs, so I switched to store bought Pesach mayo. I can't win.

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:20 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I'm actually drafting a letter to Gefen. I like their extra light olive oil. I get it for a good price. I like their mayo. Let them make an olive oil mayo for pesach. There are enough people who would pay extra for that. We don't need more expensive oil like safflower and grapeseed oil is just as bad (ok almost) as cottonseed oil.

Please do. I applaud your efforts. Maybe Yael would allow you to post a petition or something, so we can join your voice. It is too bad women can't control the kosher food industry.

sarahmalka

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:20 pm
Squishy wrote:
The kosher food industry is a big business. Doesn't anyone care about the Jews instead of the dollars? What is wrong with the Rabbis that they allow GMO cottonseed oil without warnings? It used to be that 90% if kosher food was bought be people who wanted healthier food. What a joke.

You don't need any kind of hechtsher for EVOL for Pesach and year round. I can make my own potato chips which I rather do than feed my family trace pesticides.

My physician told me that homemade mayo is not healthy because of the raw eggs, so I switched to store bought Pesach mayo. I can't win.

You know I'm pretty sure you can buy pasteurized eggs...not sure about KLP ones but something to check out. Kudos to you for making homemade!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:24 pm
sky wrote:
How does Walnut oil compare?

Walnut oil is good health wise. Taste can be a bit overpowering.

samantha87

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:27 pm
And in Israel they use regular canola oil for pesach. (Cottonseed oil is kitniyot there.) That would be so much better. Alas, I'll save my mostly full bottle of cottonseed oil for next year.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics