Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Can I save it for next year?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

cm

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 11:32 pm
Squishy wrote:
It's Pesach vinegar and has the words imitation vinegar on the label. The ingredients list consists of acedic acid and water - the same as regular vinegar.

I am so confused.

Regular vinegar is usually produced from kitniyot. "Imitation" vinegar, if I understand this correctly, is food-grade acetic acid from inorganic sources. Either way, it's the same molecule.

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 12:20 am
cm wrote:
Regular vinegar is usually produced from kitniyot. "Imitation" vinegar, if I understand this correctly, is food-grade acetic acid from inorganic sources. Either way, it's the same molecule.

This is beyond disgusting. I have been doing a little reading. Imitation vinegar is pure acetic acid (yes, petrochemical derived) and water. Why is this better for you than kitniyot?

What kind of sick repulsive "food" is being sold as Kosher? The more I look into this, the more repulsed I am.

Passover food represents 4O% of the kosher industry sales or 1.8 billion. It is business pure and simple at the expense of innocent Jews.

http://www.jewishpost.com/arch......html

thanks

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 12:23 am
ra_mom wrote:
Walnut oil is good health wise. Taste can be a bit overpowering.

Pistachio oil is great. It does make some food look a little green (like the mayo).

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 12:31 am
Squishy wrote:
This is beyond disgusting. I have been doing a little reading. Imitation vinegar is pure acetic acid (yes, petrochemical derived) and water. Why is this better for you than kitniyot?

What kind of sick repulsive "food" is being sold as Kosher? The more I look into this, the more repulsed I am.

Passover food represents 4O% of the kosher industry sales or 1.8 billion. It is business pure and simple at the expense of innocent Jews.

I've never bought faux vinegar. I use lemon juice mostly, some balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar... In their natural states. I don't buy faux mustard or faux soy sauce. They gross me out. No faux pastas.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 12:39 am
water_bear88 wrote:
Check the expiration date, but probably as vinegar is itself a preservative.

Vinegar never goes bad

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 12:40 am
ra_mom wrote:
I've never bought faux vinegar. I use lemon juice mostly, some balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar... In their natural states. I don't buy faux mustard or faux soy sauce. No faux pastas. They gross me out.

It doesn't seem like many others care. I will be doing a great deal of reading before next Pesach. And I will be using my imitation vinegar to scrub toilets where it belongs unless someone can convince me we food derived from petrochemicals is healthy.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 12:51 am
Squishy wrote:
It doesn't seem like many others care. I will be doing a great deal of reading before next Pesach. And I will be using my imitation vinegar to scrub toilets where it belongs unless someone can convince me we food derived from petrochemicals is healthy.

I bought cottonseed oil mayo because I wasn't up to making extras. It was more important to have homemade chicken and potatoes and quinoa than mayo. We used about 5 tablespoons worth of the mayo over pesach, in total, for 5 people. I fight the battles that I can handle and give in for 8 days if I have to. I already bought a fresh bottle of good mayo today, post pesach (we're not big mayo people anyway).
We served up plenty of store bought potato chips too over pesach. What can we do?
I prefer to concentrate on making sure the food I'm cooking is healthful and fresh and let go a bit with the bought items.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 1:13 am
Squishy wrote:

I'd focus my energies on cottonseed oil. "imitation" vinegar (like all edible vinegar) is mainly water.

shabri

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 1:53 am
samantha87 wrote:
And in Israel they use regular canola oil for pesach. (Cottonseed oil is kitniyot there.) That would be so much better. Alas, I'll save my mostly full bottle of cottonseed oil for next year.

Canola is kitniyot in Israel also. We use walnut oil. More expensive but healthier than cottonseed

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 2:31 am
Squishy wrote:
The kosher food industry is a big business. Doesn't anyone care about the Jews instead of the dollars? What is wrong with the Rabbis that they allow GMO cottonseed oil without warnings? .

Can't we just rely on Rabbis for the hechsharim? they aren't nutritionists. I would care if kosher food was not available to me because Rabbis determined it wasn't healthy... I take ownership of what I eat, and feed my family.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 3:06 am
shabri wrote:
Canola is kitniyot in Israel also. We use walnut oil. More expensive but healthier than cottonseed

It's fairly split, I think. We use canola but I wouldn't serve it to Ashkenazi guests without asking how they hold. Otherwise we use olive oil.

Pretty much everything KLP-kitniyot has canola and most of the other KLP processed food has palm oil.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 3:14 am
Oh, and Squishy- synthetic vinegar is also great at cleaning windows and getting urine-stench out of fabrics- I buy it year-round for cleaning. The plain, natural year-round vinegar here all has added food coloring.

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 6:54 am
amother wrote:
Can't we just rely on Rabbis for the hechsharim? they aren't nutritionists. I would care if kosher food was not available to me because Rabbis determined it wasn't healthy... I take ownership of what I eat, and feed my family.

Kosher food is marketed as being healthier. It is a giant marketing ploy, and I was duped along with millions. 85% of the people who buy kosher due so because of this marketing. (The actual updated figure is slightly down from the one I used earlier in the thread. This may be due to the increased availability of Halal food which is a $20 billion industry and the fastest growing food segment according to Bloomberg.)

I know a couple of Rabbis who have hecherim, and they are paid for use of their name. They never visit the food plants. It is marketing. But I do expect those in the food industry to be aware of nutrition. How basic is that?

I feel betrayed and scared. I derived a lot of pleasure being able to turn out gourmet food Pesach for my family and guests. Shmutlz is better for you than trace pesticides, gmo, and petrochemical derived cr@p marketed as food.

I have never felt so shaken by my religion.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 10:16 am
Squishy wrote:
Kosher food is marketed as being healthier. It is a giant marketing ploy, and I was duped along with millions. 85% of the people who buy kosher due so because of this marketing. (The actual updated figure is slightly down from the one I used earlier in the thread. This may be due to the increased availability of Halal food which is a $20 billion industry and the fastest growing food segment according to Bloomberg.)

I know a couple of Rabbis who have hecherim, and they are paid for use of their name. They never visit the food plants. It is marketing. But I do expect those in the food industry to be aware of nutrition. How basic is that?

I feel betrayed and scared. I derived a lot of pleasure being able to turn out gourmet food Pesach for my family and guests. Shmutlz is better for you than trace pesticides, gmo, and petrochemical derived cr@p marketed as food.

I have never felt so shaken by my religion.

Squishy - you are a smart woman - you know that kosher does not equal healthy. You really feel betrayed by Rabbis because of cottonseed oil? I'd be angry if they managed to sneak a product on the shelf that wasn't FDA approved as edible - but cottonseed oil is, they aren't doing anything wrong.

People who are in the food industry produce products that they can make a profit from.

Do you really want to live in a nanny state? Educate yourself, read labels. Its easy to do. (or better - buy food that doesn't have labels). Don't be scared - there are lots of healthy (or atleast not harmful) choices available 365 days a year.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 10:20 am
andrea levy wrote:
Vinegar never goes bad

Out of pure scientific curiosity- is "never" like honey, as in will remain edible for thousands of years? Or "never" as in decades, such that practically speaking I can keep my open bottle of rice vinegar for as long as it takes me to get through it but don't bother passing it on to grandkids if it's still not finished in 60-70 years? Smile

cm

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 10:59 am
Squishy wrote:

It isn't better for you. No one says it is.

As for all the junk now bring produced for Pesach, no one has to buy it. Clearly, some people want to.

My take - for one week we really don't need much. I prefer to keep it simple and natural as well, so I don't buy processed junk.

I think it would be great if respected community leaders encouraged people to make healthy choices. However, it would be a problem if foods were "outlawed" for this purpose, for many reasons.

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 3:20 pm
amother wrote:
Squishy - you are a smart woman - you know that kosher does not equal healthy. You really feel betrayed by Rabbis because of cottonseed oil? I'd be angry if they managed to sneak a product on the shelf that wasn't FDA approved as edible - but cottonseed oil is, they aren't doing anything wrong.

People who are in the food industry produce products that they can make a profit from.

Do you really want to live in a nanny state? Educate yourself, read labels. Its easy to do. (or better - buy food that doesn't have labels). Don't be scared - there are lots of healthy (or atleast not harmful) choices available 365 days a year.

Some things we are taught as a child are so ingrained they are never questioned. My parents taught me Kosher food is healthier. This was reinforced by the kosher food industry.

Yes, 100% I rather live in a state that discloses health risks on food. There is not a question in my mind that we should be informed when we are not eating food. Can you really believe food should be caveat emptor - the buyer alone should be responsible for the quality and sustainability of goods? Do you want to eliminate all labeling and oversight on food by the government?

Europe seems so far ahead of the US in healthy food, and I rather pay the price for it.

And I do feel betrayed by the Rabbis over this. I trusted them to have more than a profit motive in certifying food.

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 3:33 pm
cm wrote:
It isn't better for you. No one says it is.

As for all the junk now bring produced for Pesach, no one has to buy it. Clearly, some people want to.

My take - for one week we really don't need much. I prefer to keep it simple and natural as well, so I don't buy processed junk.

I think it would be great if respected community leaders encouraged people to make healthy choices. However, it would be a problem if foods were "outlawed" for this purpose, for many reasons.

I will probably never buy the cr@p again. I can't even give the leftovers away with a good conscience. Zero safe levels are not something ambiguous.

I bought the novelty Pesach food because it was fun. The foods I enjoyed as a girl do not carry a heimeshe hechsher, but they are a better choice. Better yet, a return to basics is in order.

Schmultz here I come.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 3:55 pm
Squishy wrote:
Some things we are taught as a child are so ingrained they are never questioned. My parents taught me Kosher food is healthier. This was reinforced by the kosher food industry.

Yes, 100% I rather live in a state that discloses health risks on food. There is not a question in my mind that we should be informed when we are not eating food. Can you really believe food should be caveat emptor - the buyer alone should be responsible for the quality and sustainability of goods? Do you want to eliminate all labeling and oversight on food by the government?

Europe seems so far ahead of the US in healthy food, and I rather pay the price for it.

And I do feel betrayed by the Rabbis over this. I trusted them to have more than a profit motive in certifying food.

I've never been under the impression that the kosher food industry promotes its food as a healthy choice. Can you provide examples?

All food on the shelves in your local grocery store is safe for human consumption. There is labeling and over-site. There was no hidden cottonseed oil in anything you purchased for Pesach - it was right there on the label.

The Rabbis #1 motive in certifying food is the heavy responsibility that yidden should only eat kosher. I'm sorry that you've had the misconception your entire life that kosher=healthy - but it does not.

I imagine that if you live in a community where the Rebbeim put fences around things for 'spiritual health' - like filtered (or no) internet - you'd expect them to put bans around things that affect physical health. Is that where you are going with this?

Anyway - pay the price for healthy food - and be thankful that you can afford it. Talk to a nutritionist about what you should eat - not your Rav.

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 4:20 pm
amother wrote:
I've never been under the impression that the kosher food industry promotes its food as a healthy choice. Can you provide examples?

All food on the shelves in your local grocery store is safe for human consumption. There is labeling and over-site. There was no hidden cottonseed oil in anything you purchased for Pesach - it was right there on the label.

The Rabbis #1 motive in certifying food is the heavy responsibility that yidden should only eat kosher. I'm sorry that you've had the misconception your entire life that kosher=healthy - but it does not.

I imagine that if you live in a community where the Rebbeim put fences around things for 'spiritual health' - like filtered (or no) internet - you'd expect them to put bans around things that affect physical health. Is that where you are going with this?

Anyway - pay the price for healthy food - and be thankful that you can afford it. Talk to a nutritionist about what you should eat - not your Rav.

OMH,

That is their total gimmick. How many examples do you need?

Hebrew National "answers to a higher authority" was the first commercial that pops into my mind.

Google is kosher food is marketed as healthier. You will find credible sources like Forbes and NPR stating the marketing strategy. Star K states how many consumers including me fell for it. There is a wealth of information supporting this.

No, not all food is safe according to the National Academy of Nutrition. There is a zero safe level for cottonseed oil. Zero safe level is not safe for consumption. It is allowed on the shelves because of politics. Read the history of Crisco.

I don't accept any internet bans for myself, and I am staunchly against strictures imposed for no logical reason but power and control games.

As I stated, ironically the foods the rebbenim are endorsing are worse than the foods the rebbenim are forbidding.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics