Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is this cute or nerdy?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 10:30 am
Denim overall shorts and a polo shirt are classic, cute and age appropriate. Are the height of trendy? No clue. But no secular professional is going to think twice about anyone dressing their baby in that outfit.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 10:39 am
Thanks, you've all been very helpful. I don't need him to be the height of trendy, just not to look like a total nerd. And I agree that what's most important is for him to look clean, comfortable, and put together.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 10:52 am
zaq wrote:
It's for an infant. What difference does it make?

It's so strange to me that people who don't care about fashion open the fashion threads.

Why do you care that people to dress her kids fashionably? Who is it hurting? There are so many more worthwhile causes in the world Confused . Do you put pretty curtains on your window, even though the window doesn't know the difference? Do you send nice-looking invitations, even though the invitation doesn't know the difference? Some people have good taste and enjoy putting it to use. And FYI, in evolution, self-adornment is considered an important step in human intelligence. It's really not as inane as you think it is.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:01 am
Oh and I vote nerdy. I would do something like this instead, for the same price:
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/.....14002
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/.....22002
Or this with a plain white undershirt (IMO the cutest option)
https://m.zara.com/us/en/kids/......html

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:11 am
I open fashion threads, because I think they are going to be about adults. Fashion on a baby is a completely foreign concept to me.

That said, "nerdy" is the "new cute". Nerdy is a big fashion trend these days. Just look at all the eye glasses with thick black rims. No one would be caught dead in those 5 years ago! My 13 yo is a proud nerd, and rocks it. Her bunch of friends go by #Nerdsquad.

Besides, ALL toddlers are cute. There is no such thing as a toddler that is not cute. You could put them in a pillow case with arm holes cut out, and they would be cute.

I think what you're really asking is "If I dress my baby in this, how will this reflect on ME?" Well, that depends on your community. Charedi parents would never let their kids be seen in denim, ever. Not outside of the house, at least. Maybe on the playground, but even that is questionable. Modern Orthodox? No problem, totally fashionable!

When in doubt, I always go with classic and elegant. You just can't fail with that. Khaki pants and a polo always look nice and neat. Corduroy pants in the winter are adorable with a little sweater. If you want classic ideas, look at Ralph Lauren and Charter Club for kids.

cm

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:24 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I open fashion threads, because I think they are going to be about adults. Fashion on a baby is a completely foreign concept to me.

That said, "nerdy" is the "new cute". Nerdy is a big fashion trend these days. Just look at all the eye glasses with thick black rims. No one would be caught dead in those 5 years ago! My 13 yo is a proud nerd, and rocks it. Her bunch of friends go by #Nerdsquad.

Besides, ALL toddlers are cute. There is no such thing as a toddler that is not cute. You could put them in a pillow case with arm holes cut out, and they would be cute.

I think what you're really asking is "If I dress my baby in this, how will this reflect on ME?" Well, that depends on your community. Charedi parents would never let their kids be seen in denim, ever. Not outside of the house, at least. Maybe on the playground, but even that is questionable. Modern Orthodox? No problem, totally fashionable!

When in doubt, I always go with classic and elegant. You just can't fail with that. Khaki pants and a polo always look nice and neat. Corduroy pants in the winter are adorable with a little sweater. If you want classic ideas, look at Ralph Lauren and Charter Club for kids.

As I said upthread, I don't know what "nerdy" means, really, on this site, but for sure it doesn't​ mean what you and I think it means. From​ context, it seems to mean "not trendy" rather than "geeky."

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:29 am
cm wrote:
As I said upthread, I don't know what "nerdy" means, really, on this site, but for sure it doesn't​ mean what you and I think it means. From​ context, it seems to mean "not trendy" rather than "geeky."

I admit that I have no grasp of "trendy" when it comes to baby clothes.

What I do know is that I have a fashion (or anti-fashion?) obsessed young teen. She informs me that nerdy and geeky are considered to be very cool now, so those lines are being blurred in today's fashion world.

Next time I see a toddler, I will ask him for the proper definition of "nerdy" in his circles. Maybe it's a generational thing. Tongue Out

LittleMissMama

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 12:05 pm
I have a special needs kid so I understand wanting my kid to be neat and presentable, even when he was a baby.

That said, I think the trend of putting frum kids in overpriced clothes is the actual chillul hashem. Our focus should be on more important things than dressing our young children in trends and European styles (that imo look stupid in most US crowds). Secular professionals don't dress little kids like european kiddie models.

OP, if it's really important to know, that outfit is outdated. I put stuff like that on my oldest 15 years ago. Buy something cute and trendy from Old Navy or Target. Same price range, much nicer looking.

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 12:09 pm
The overalls is not bad, but the tshirt is nerdy. I would do it with a solid white t-shirt.

gdgirl

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 12:50 pm
its definitely not current. I don't kniw if I would call out downright nerdy. it was cool 10 years ago,maybe.

agreer

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 1:05 pm
OMG! You would pay 49.50 for a "real" tommy hilfiger for a baby? Say it ain't so!

I think the outfit is adorable - any thing that small is automatically cute! (Except leggings for boys.)

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 1:21 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

I think your post was helpful though, even if you know and care nothing about baby fashion. You have OP really good advice on choosing how to dress her son.
I don't understand people who open fashion threads and post about what a waste of time fashion is. Especially when the op is asking for help, it's annoying and rude.

lucky14

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 2:41 pm
Look at Carters, they have some cuter stuff (also not expensive). Personally I like babies in softer, cuddlier things.

edited to say that the outfits from old navy (or was it gap?) that someone posted above are cute.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 3:44 pm
LittleMissMama wrote:
I have a special needs kid so I understand wanting my kid to be neat and presentable, even when he was a baby.

That said, I think the trend of putting frum kids in overpriced clothes is the actual chillul hashem. Our focus should be on more important things than dressing our young children in trends and European styles (that imo look stupid in most US crowds). Secular professionals don't dress little kids like european kiddie models.

This! Especially if you are on benefits or Medicaid and the therapists know then they might judge if your kids are decked out in designer duds.

I also agree that the leggings and very short rompers that are trendy in some frum neighborhoods look very odd to many secular Americans.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
This! Especially if you are on benefits or Medicaid and the therapists know then they might judge if your kids are decked out in designer duds.

I also agree that the leggings and very short rompers that are trendy in some frum neighborhoods look very odd to many secular Americans.

Not just secular Americans! On the pesach program I was just on I got an introduction to this trend (in the flesh) as I had only heard of it on this site. Boys in leggings (even shorts leggings) so tight that I was embarrassed for them. And the rompers! Not my taste at all. It looked like they forget to wear the dress on top of a diaper cover.

ChutzPAh

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 4:21 pm
Nerdy.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 6:02 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

What I do know is that I have a fashion (or anti-fashion?) obsessed young teen. She informs me that nerdy and geeky are considered to be very cool now, so those lines are being blurred in today's fashion world.

totally noticed this ... old-fashioned things are a coming back ... again Cool

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:
Oh and I vote nerdy. I would do something like this instead, for the same price:
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/.....14002
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/.....22002
Or this with a plain white undershirt (IMO the cutest option)
https://m.zara.com/us/en/kids/......html

These are really cute, but he can't wear sleeveless. The last one is very sweet though.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 1:35 pm
I should add that we're in EY, in case that makes a difference. And nobody knows anything about our financial situation, so there's no judgment here as far as that goes.

I don't dress my child to kill and he has no designer clothing. I do care that he looks cute and put together though. The comments I've gotten ("Oh wow, it's so nice to see that frum babies are dressed so well," or, "I didn't realize that _th babies can be just as exciting as firsts!" etc.) made me realize that the whole frum community is being judged based on how my baby dresses. (There are very few frum families here and most of these people have little exposure other than what they see on the media.) That's why I wanted to make sure this outfit wasn't so extremely nerdy that it would make a bad impression. Not that I need to knock their socks off.

I do like the stuff at Carter's and Old Navy, but their international shipping policy (very pricey) pretty much rules it out. That's why I turned to Ali Express to try to find something well priced with free shipping that doesn't stand out as garbage or very outdated.

I hope that clarified things a bit.

DrMom

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
I should add that we're in EY, in case that makes a difference.

Then I would think it matters even less.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics