Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Baby Allergy
Previous  1  2

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 8:40 am
Googled TSW.. His skin definitely not that severe...and we don't use the hydrocortisone all the time.. Thanks for mentioning though.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 10:12 am
TSW never starts off severe. It starts of being very mild. Only about three months after stopping the steroids do the rashes spread.

And there are varying degrees depending on potency, areas applied, and length of time used.

Don't rule it out. It doesn't take much to go into TSW. Only a "little hydrocortisone" may be enough on a small child, especially if used on face, groin, or armpits.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 10:52 am
My kids definitely responded to me removing allergens from my own diet as they were not even old enough to have any solids. It takes a while for allergens to clear your system, sometimes up to a few weeks. So you won't necessarily see immediate response. Also, people don't always have obvious reactions to allergens, but the response is happening and there is damage. So I would not rely on observation alone. I'm not aware of real risks of eliminating foods that show response in testing. I am aware of risks of ignoring allergies, even when they are not obvious.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
OP - Followup:
Allergist was able to fit me in for an appointment:
IgE results came back elevated for peanuts 58.30 kU/L , wheat 16.90, soybean 57.80, and egg white 7.65. Total Ige was 380.00 kU/L
Allergist asked if baby had already eaten these allergens (esp. the wheat) but we can't say definitively he has. At most, he has had small nibbles of foods containing wheat (dissolved pretzel mostly on his face and noodles in his mouth but minimally. Based on this, allergist said we should avoid all these allergens, and I have filled epi-pen prescription. I know false positives are pretty common with these blood tests. Based on his numbers and limited direct exposure to these allergens, does eliminating all of these allergens seem like a reasonable plan? Also, allergist didn't seem to think my avoidance is important, even though it seems like many other docs disagree - including my pediatrician! I will do that if it's necessary, but I don't want to become overly restrictive, if it doesn't seem warranted. Thanks!

Those are significant positives. I wouldn't even think about giving him peanut or soy, and I wouldn't give him egg or wheat without an IOFC first.

As far as you eliminating his allergens, our allergist agrees with yours that babies do not react to allergens in their mother's milk. When one of my kids had a clear reaction to something I ate (and later tested positive to that food), he said it was very rare.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 11:52 am
amother wrote:
It takes a while for allergens to clear your system, sometimes up to a few weeks. So you won't necessarily see immediate response.

This is true. It can take up to 3 weeks.

Quote:
Also, people don't always have obvious reactions to allergens, but the response is happening and there is damage. So I would not rely on observation alone. I'm not aware of real risks of eliminating foods that show response in testing. I am aware of risks of ignoring allergies, even when they are not obvious.

This is not true. If there is no reaction, there is no allergy and therefore no damage.

The risk of eliminating false positives is the potential to develop an allergy to that food.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
Those are significant positives. I wouldn't even think about giving him peanut or soy, and I wouldn't give him egg or wheat without an IOFC first.

As far as you eliminating his allergens, our allergist agrees with yours that babies do not react to allergens in their mother's milk. When one of my kids had a clear reaction to something I ate (and later tested positive to that food), he said it was very rare.

Every person I know who tested for allergies and eliminated from their own diet (baby not yet eating allergens) saw an obvious difference. So I don't see how rare it could be.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:28 pm
amother wrote:
This is not true. If there is no reaction, there is no allergy and therefore no damage.

The risk of eliminating false positives is the potential to develop an allergy to that food.

I didn't say no reaction, I said no obvious reaction. Non obvious reaction can be sluggishness, general weakness, slow growth, behavioral changes, irritability, and damage to the gut. I'm not talking about anything pathological that would send someone running to the doctor- they can all be attributed to different things. But when the allergens are fully eliminated and those symptoms clear up, it's eye opening.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:
Every person I know who tested for allergies and eliminated from their own diet (baby not yet eating allergens) saw an obvious difference. So I don't see how rare it could be.

I know some who did see a difference and some who didn't, so I also question how rare it is, but so say the studies. Go figure.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 12:46 pm
amother wrote:
I didn't say no reaction, I said no obvious reaction. Non obvious reaction can be sluggishness, general weakness, slow growth, behavioral changes, irritability, and damage to the gut. I'm not talking about anything pathological that would send someone running to the doctor- they can all be attributed to different things. But when the allergens are fully eliminated and those symptoms clear up, it's eye opening.

The symptoms you refer to could certainly be a result of a food intolerance, but those would not show up on standard allergy testing. Skin prick and RAST testing looks for IgE responses to foods (I.e., immediate reactions such as hives, breathing problems, vomiting, etc.) and will be negative if the only symptoms are the ones you list.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 1:06 pm
Thanks amother peach and wine!
Allergist had us test for baked egg and gluten too -- awaiting followup for that.
Based on what you are both saying - sounds like an "elimination diet" would need to be a few weeks.. And despite what allergist says about allergens not passing thru milk, lots of others think differently :-)
Getting rid of wheat, soy, egg, is hard. (already peanut/tree nut free due to other sons allergy).

cuties' mom

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 5:27 pm
amother wrote:
Aquaphor ointment for dryness which seemed to help a bunch..
Hydrocortisone cream sometimes.. (wasn't so bad recently so not always putting on and don't want to have that on/near his face if I can avoid)
But dr. recommended to not "treat" with hydrocortisone now if I am testing out what happens if I eliminate these allergens...

With ds, it didn't help to just eliminate. He had to go on atarax for 2 weeks and we had a prescription for a cream.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 6:51 pm
Have you tried wet wrapping for his eczema?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics