Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Making a kiddush for a baby girl
1  2  Next

proudmom

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 10:57 am
Has anyone heard of making a kiddush during the week? I know of some people that did it.

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 11:09 am
Do you mean like a Simchat Bat?

proudmom

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 11:12 am
what is that?

technic

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 2:00 pm
basically its a kiddush during the wk! Very Happy

proudmom

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 3:42 pm
I spoke to a rabbi and he told me that you can make a kiddush during the week. You just have to make it as a farbrengen in honor of the baby. Have someone make a dvar torah. In the nine days you can not do it.

Motek

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 6:02 pm
how it "making a kiddush" when Kiddush is recited on Shabbos?

proudmom

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 6:17 pm
You dont have to do kiddush, the reason why a lot of people do it on shabbos is because it is easier for everyone.

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 6:38 pm
so then it isn't called a kiduush, rather a simchat bat..a party welcoming a baby girl Wink

proudmom

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 6:40 pm
if you want to call it that

Motek

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 7:05 pm
proudmom - could you ask the rabbi for a source, this is interesting

by the way, there is no such concept as "simchat bat" in halacha or minhag, at least as far as I know

proudmom

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 7:09 pm
Motek, I wont feel comfortable asking the rabbi for a source, but I can probably ask someone else for you that might know the answer.

lucky

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 2:19 pm
I've heard that making a kiddush for a girl on shabbos is preferable since more people have time to come and say mazel tov and wish the child well.and u can never know whose brochus have power in shomayim.

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 2:32 pm
I know a girl who was in the dating parsha for a few years, but hadn't had a single date!!! after speaking to a rav about it, the rav asked if they ever made her a kiddush as a child, they realized they didn't. so they made her a kiddush then and she got married (not sure how soon after, but within a year or so)! the reason is because at a kiddush everyone wishes- she'tizkeh l'gadlah l'torah l'chupah ul'maasim tovim!

daisylover

Post Sun, Jul 31 2005, 12:11 am
I heard that the Rebbe said that you should make a kiddush in honor of a baby girl with inthe first yr, and that otherwise, she will have trouble with shidduchim... I never knew why, but I guess it makes sense!!!

hardwrknmom

Post Sun, Jul 31 2005, 12:25 am
from what I know and have done, lubavitch makes a kiddish for the girl ON Shabbos. never heard of it made during the week in chabad.

IndyMom

Post Sun, Jul 31 2005, 1:47 am
I heard this story before so at my daughter's kiddish I was hoping peple would give her those good wishes. No one said it. We only got mazal tovs.

Perhaps when we have another kiddish in few weeks for my husbands family. (the last one was for my community and for my family).

Last edited by IndyMom on Sun, Jul 31 2005, 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

technic

Post Sun, Jul 31 2005, 4:32 am
indymom therell always b her batmitzva iyh - when we got home from my daughters party she said "the next simcha ull make 4 me will b my wedding" - I told her 2 let me clear up from the batmitzva first!

Motek

Post Sun, Jul 31 2005, 11:39 am
"mazal tov" is the usual blessing

other than mazal tov, there is no set formula

I wonder about the connection between making a kiddush and a shidduch, the source for it.

Tefila

Post Sun, Jul 31 2005, 11:44 am
Motek I also always wondered conc it. But I do know of cases of shidduchim that didn't come about as planned b/c of the girl not reieving a kiddush at birth or close to it. Their is a story about the Lubavitcher Rebbe w/h talking to a girl post shidduch age conc this. So she made a kiddush in honor of her birth 8) and lo and behold a shidduch came up and now they r living happily ever after Wink

gryp

Post Sun, Jul 31 2005, 11:57 am
I just read yesterday in Habayis Hayehudi- theres no specific blessing by a kiddush, but when you name the baby and say the Mi Shebaerach. the specific wording is: "Ligadlah LaTorah LiChupah u'LiMaasim Tovim."
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics