Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Questions about sensory issues and how OT deals with them. .

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 11:43 am
I have two children with mild (in my opinion) sensory issues as well as behavioral challenges such as emotion regulation difficulties, rigidity, meltdowns, difficulty dealing with change and other issues. A friend that I was describing this all to, suggested that they may be related and that I should take them to an OT for therapy.

How do I know if the sensory issues are really the root of all of this and how would an OT help me?

Has anyone had experience with this? Has working with an OT on sensory things really impacted your child's behavior?

I know I should go to an OT for an evaluation, and I likely will but am curious to hear other people's experience. I am fairly confident an OT will say they need/will benefit from therapy but it's a big investment of time and money and I really only want to do it if there's a good chance it will help. . .

Thanks

flmommy

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 11:46 am
My DS has sensory issues. This probably won't be helpful but the OT agreed that DS had sensory issues similar to your child's and said sensory issues are secondary to other issues. Usually ADHD or anxiety. I took my DS for a full psychoeducational evaluation and he had neither. I'm trying to figure out what to don next. Maybe explore this if you think either fit your child.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 11:52 am
I have a child that had all the behavioral issues that you describe. I take him for intense OT( twice a week for an hour each session) and I've seen tremendous progress bh. I've been going for two and a half years so far.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 2:14 pm
I have a child with theses issues and he has ADHD and ot doesn't help for emotion regulation. Debt helps for that.

U can go for ot for the sensory but not sure how much you will get helped.

Your child needs a full assessment. Psychoeduducational.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 3:15 pm
I'm an OT. Everything that you've described fits the picture of a child with poor regulation- physical and emotional, which often go together. If you read a book like "the out of sync child" you will see that all of your concerns fall under the sensory umbrella. So an OT who is experienced in this area can certainly be very helpful.

That said, if the emotional/behavioral challenges are significant, you may want to treat your child with play therapy/parent counseling, which will specifically target those concerns by someone who specializes in just that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children