Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
La"g/La"d b'omer, I'm so confused

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, May 13 2017, 7:57 pm
So for years, I had always understood that La"g b'omer is the end of the aveilus, and just like we end any fast day/shabbos/y"t, I would put music on after tzeis on La"g b'omer. Then I found out, as I'm a litvak, that we wait until morning b/c aveilus always ends mid-morning. That's why sefardim celebrate on La"d b'omer. So how are there bon fires and celebrations with music on lag b'omer night?

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, May 13 2017, 8:12 pm
amother wrote:
So for years, I had always understood that La"g b'omer is the end of the aveilus, and just like we end any fast day/shabbos/y"t, I would put music on after tzeis on La"g b'omer. Then I found out, as I'm a litvak, that we wait until morning b/c aveilus always ends mid-morning. That's why sefardim celebrate on La"d b'omer. So how are there bon fires and celebrations with music on lag b'omer night?

If you are at a bonfire then you are allowed music tonight. If not, some people wait till tomorrow.

yksraya

Post Sat, May 13 2017, 8:17 pm
It was the wish of r' shimon, that on his yertzeit, there should be celebration, and no mourning.

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, May 13 2017, 9:15 pm
My understanding is that Sefardim are more careful than Ashkenazim about waiting until the 34th. So for example, Ashkenazim get married on lag ba-omer itself.

Cmon be nice

Post Sat, May 13 2017, 10:17 pm
The mishna berura says you have to wait till morning but others say the mourning ends by night. Sefardim wait until the 34th day.
Many of the bonfires that are done at night are done by chassdium who hold avelus the whole sefira (as opposed to first or second half). On lag baomer itself they don't hold of any restrictions meaning it's not part of their days of mourning

zaq

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 8:21 am
Check out the OU Halacha Yomis on sefirah. A few days ago they explained three, not two, different shittos (two ashkenazi and one sefaradi) on the aveilus period of sefirah.

sky

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 9:47 am
We only listen to music lag b'amoer by day, not night. We don't wake up to music so the aveilus is also part of the morning. (same idea as someone sits shiva a few minutes the last morning)
We keep second half sefira so its a bit of a tease - tonight we are back to no music.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, May 14 2017, 2:36 pm
OP here, as much as I'm a Litvak, my father had a very vague minhag regarding sefira--like didn't really "keep a half" but he listened to the radio (classical music) and shaved for work. He grew up in a small Jewish town so had little exposure to many minhagim. My brothers didn't have better answers b/c sefira minhagim are so flexible. At least now my husband firmly keeps "first half" so I'm more clear.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days