Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How many different cereal boxes do you have at one time?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

crust

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 6:55 am
1-2. I buy sweet cereal for special occasions. If the responses here reflect the general grocery shopping then my kids are probably starving. Gevald!

mango

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 8:39 am
We usually have 3-4 basic non sugary cereals open at once my kids love cereal and will often mix two in the same bowl I don't mind having a variety open bc we go through them fast.
We also usually have 2-3 shabbos sugary ones open but they are strictly shabbos only (and occasionally and adult late evening snack Wink ) they last longer.

lfab

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 9:21 am
As of this morning we have an open box of regular cheerios, corn chex, rice chex, rice crispies, kix, corn flakes, and honey nut cheerios. So that's 7. The corn flakes I bought because they were asking for something new but no one liked it (but I don't have the heart to throw out a whole box so I keep saying I'll make it into corn flake crumbs but so far I haven't gotten around to it). And the honey nut cheerios are only for shabbos. They each like different cereals and some of my kids like to mix 2-3 in a bowl at one time. I don't mind having several open because we go through them pretty quickly so they don't get stale.

gp2.0

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 9:36 am
Around 4. Usually 2 "healthier" ones like Rice Krispies or cheerios, 1 sugary cereal, 1 junk cereal.

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 9:57 am
Usually 2 regular cereal, and 2 sugary cereal for shabbos.

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 10:01 am
ra_mom wrote:
2. But we're not big cereal eaters.

Of course not, that's because you're a fantastic cook and you always serve fresh yummy food!

Btw, I also almost always cook fresh, so no eating to much cereal.

sky

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 12:40 pm
This is a sore topic in our home.
2 open 'healthy' cereal boxes
1 open sugar shabbos cereal box
at a time
pob 10 - 30 closed boxes in the closet depending on recent sales and trips to costco.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 12:45 pm
at the moment only 3. 2 healthy one sweet for Shabbos.
usually we have 6 types but we recently lost wic.

tichellady

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 1:09 pm
I feel like this is an easy area to just say "yes". We open as many cereal boxes as we want. What's the worry?

nylon

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 1:16 pm
3, because we don't all agree on cereal. we have corn flakes, Cheerios, and weetabix regularly.

Occasionally I will get grape nuts or Rice Krispies. I don't buy sugar cereal.

sky

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 1:17 pm
tichellady wrote:
I feel like this is an easy area to just say "yes". We open as many cereal boxes as we want. What's the worry?

I have very little cabinet space. If it was up to my kids we would have 8 open regular cereals and 3 sugar cereals. that is half my kitchen. LOL LOL

tichellady

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 1:20 pm
sky wrote:
I have very little cabinet space. If it was up to my kids we would have 8 open regular cereals and 3 sugar cereals. that is half my kitchen. LOL LOL

Same here, we put them on top of the fridge

lucky14

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 3:11 pm
nylon wrote:
3, because we don't all agree on cereal. we have corn flakes, Cheerios, and weetabix regularly.

Is (are) weetabix good? I've been looking for more low-sugar cereals and noticed them on the shelf.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 3:48 pm
None. We eat real food.

Cereal has little nutritional value, and the cereals people are calling healthy here, like rice crispies and cornflakes - um... what's healthy about that?

loveit

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 4:01 pm
amother wrote:
None. We eat real food.

Cereal has little nutritional value, and the cereals people are calling healthy here, like rice crispies and cornflakes - um... what's healthy about that?

I think by healthy posters mean without extra sugar, I don't think anyone looks at cereal as having serious nutritional value.

If you don't keep cereal in the house, may I ask what you serve for breakfast during the week? And do you have young children at home? Because other than a normal cereal like cheerios with milk I can't think of another fast/no prep breakfast for my kids. Only one child like oatmeal so he has instant oatmeal while the others all prefer cereal. Most mothers don't have time to make pancakes and eggs in the morning if we are dealing with nursing an infant, getting everyone dressed, shoes on, buckling up in the car etc.

Sorry your comment just really bothered me. We are a family wh young children and while I would love to cook a hot breakfast every weekday it's not possible unless I lose out on more sleep to get up earlier and with an infant I'm not getting much sleep anyway. Also my husband is at shacharis in the morning so I'm on my own to get kids fed and dressed.

Considering we make healthy lunches and snacks every day for the kids for school, homemade fresh dinner every night, I think a bowl of cheerios with whole milk is just fine before school! Especially since they often eat a banana as well. Better than a cereal bar, toaster pastries, frozen waffles or anything else that can be made quickly in the morning

water_bear88

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 4:06 pm
There are healthy crisped rice cereals- in Israel B&D makes one, and there's puffed wheat called Shalva that's also available without added sugar or salt. We usually have one of those two, and sometimes one sugary cereal but realistically that's one of the sweeter varieties of Cheerios or similar and not very often. A healthy cereal is no worse IMO than a slice of whole-wheat bread, and a decent kid breakfast with milk and cut-up fruit.

Beyla

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 4:10 pm
3 boxes. 1 healthy style and 2 more sugar style.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 4:21 pm
one. tons of storage space- we only eat cereal on sahbbos mornings as a treat or on vacation etc. I dont think it is really nutritional. it is more a snack, I prefer if my kids eat 'real' food for breakfast (like a sandwich, eggs, or fruitsalad etc.).

we used to buy wheetabix, cos they have a lot of fibre and little sugar, but at some point my kids had enough of those, so now we buy regular cornflakes and add cinamon or sugary cereal and limit it Smile

zaq

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 5:11 pm
Whole grain cereal --made OF whole grain, like puffed wheat or Toasted oats (Cheerios), not cereal made "WITH" whole grain-- and without added sugar, is a perfectly nutritious breakfast when combined with milk and a fruit. Throw in some nuts or seeds and you make it that much better. Honest whole grain cereal is nutritionally similar to whole grain bread or pasta.

Most sugared cereals are thinly disguised candy. You may as well be honest and give the kid regular candy instead of tricking him into believing he's eating cereal.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, May 18 2017, 5:27 pm
amother wrote:
None. We eat real food.

Rice, corn, oats, wheat... are all real food. Whats unhealthy about that?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen