Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Don’t try to outfrum your rav
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 8:30 pm
Tefila wrote:
Quote:
Ruchel, not to pick on you ... since you are open about a lot in your life, I think it's reasonable to ask - how did you just travel to Switzerland (and the other traveling you did) while being "dead"?

A very good point, for the rav to question though Twisted Evil

My rav knows, as he is helping us with the reason of the trip.

Ladies, don't waste your time, my psak is as good as it can be since I was warned of the consequences of not following and they happened.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 8:39 pm
anyway my point was not asking people what they think of my rav, but that you all need to listen to yours. If it turns into bashing like my migrena psak I will ask a mod to close it. Thank you for respecting my rav even if you don't like his psak.

mimivan

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 8:41 pm
Hey, I think Imamother.com should begin a smicha program...one specially designed to help ladies in reviewing and critquing any psak din given anywhere in the world! Since psak picking and nitpicking is such a pastime on this site, there might as well be a program which would give some women professional qualifications...

At the complete other end of the spectrum, there should be heter hunters advertised on the site...

All we have to do is pit Psak nitpickers against the heter hunters to fight among themselves and the rest of us may actually have discussions in peace!
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil LOL Rolling Eyes LOL

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 8:42 pm
mimivan wrote:
Hey, I think Imamother.com should begin a smicha program...one specially designed to help ladies in reviewing and critquing any psak din given anywhere in the world! Since psak picking and nitpicking is such a pastime on this site, there might as well be a program which would give some women professional qualifications...

At the complete other end of the spectrum, there should be heter hunters advertised on the site...

All we have to do is pit Psak nitpickers against the heter hunters to fight among themselves and the rest of us may actually have discussions in peace!
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil LOL Rolling Eyes LOL

LOL LOL

Good idea!
Both can be quite annoying

Piper

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 9:05 pm
Ruchel wrote:
anyway my point was not asking people what they think of my rav, but that you all need to listen to yours. If it turns into bashing like my migrena psak I will ask a mod to close it. Thank you for respecting my rav even if you don't like his psak.

Personally, I think your Rav must be a kind person WHO CARES ABOUT YOUR WELFARE.

Good for him. Mine is the same way.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 9:18 pm
Piper wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Personally, I think your Rav must be a kind person WHO CARES ABOUT YOUR WELFARE.

He does care a lot. It has happened that he contacted me to know if I was going better and he found me a doctor himself (didn't work but not his fault). Some time before Tisha be av I was already sick ( Exploding anger ) and he actually asked me how I was doing, and told me if it goes on like that when 9bav arrives I'll need a heter.
Same for the migrena psak. He knows I'll not abuse it and uncover my head when unnecessary, if I was that type I wouldn't cover it with peer pressure to NOT cover. When he heard I threw up because I didn't want to uncover my hair (before I asked a psak so I didn't want) he told me it was unhealthy and shouldn't happen again.
Some forget our Torah is a Torah of life, not of martyrdom.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 9:19 pm
Not to mention I'm happy to see there are others like him

sister

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 9:24 pm
Hey Ruchel,
Do you mind my asking what was wrong and how your doctor figured out how to treat it?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 9:30 pm
What was wrong: exhaustion, head aches, insomnia at night coupled with wanting to sleep at day, yo-yo weight for no reason
How they figured: through exams, blood tests and switching docs and hospitals several times Exploding anger
They thought it was: normal exhaustion, then blood loss, then anaemia, then in my head ( Mad ), then hormonal imbalance then b'h the right thing: hormonal and thyroid not working enough.
I went through treatments for most of these things, no result, but when b'h we found the right guy it started working almost overnight. You can't imagine how furious at myself I am for losing all the progress.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 9:33 pm
Don't laugh, I forgot one BIG thing: not remembering stuff LOL Rolling Eyes
See, it's back.

I just hope some will benefit from it and not do like me.

bashinda

Post Sat, Sep 29 2007, 8:21 pm
Sorry you've been so sick. It's frustrating to keep on going and not know what's going on. Especially the "in your head" part.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Sep 29 2007, 8:55 pm
bashinda wrote:
Sorry you've been so sick. It's frustrating to keep on going and not know what's going on. Especially the "in your head" part.

Ditto.
I had an appointment with a new doctor, who also said it was definitely real, but not sure what Rolling Eyes
I start understanding the secular women who have 1 or 2 kids, or my dh's great grandma who stayed in bed during her childbearing years (and she had 16 shock ).
The in your head part was from doctors who hate young moms. "very young girls who have babies get depressed", blah blah blah...

bashinda

Post Sat, Sep 29 2007, 9:15 pm
if it makes you feel better and it's a very different medical issue but I had continince problems as a small child (talk about embarrassing) and the doctor refused to treat it as a medical problem or refer us to a urologist. it's an emotional problem. because of my parents getting divorced. finally years later we saw a urologist and it was a physiological problem. oh and even worse, when my brother got insefilitus (sic) and viral meningitis the same doctor said it was emotional. Baruch Hashem my mom took him to the hospital and he ended up there first in the ER and then in peds for 3 weeks. for an emotional problem.

One major lesson I've learned from these epxeriences is that you have to be your own advocate for health issues.

GAMZu

Post Sat, Sep 29 2007, 11:39 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Piper wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

He does care a lot. It has happened that he contacted me to know if I was going better and he found me a doctor himself (didn't work but not his fault). Some time before Tisha be av I was already sick ( Exploding anger ) and he actually asked me how I was doing, and told me if it goes on like that when 9bav arrives I'll need a heter.
Same for the migrena psak. He knows I'll not abuse it and uncover my head when unnecessary, if I was that type I wouldn't cover it with peer pressure to NOT cover. When he heard I threw up because I didn't want to uncover my hair (before I asked a psak so I didn't want) he told me it was unhealthy and shouldn't happen again.

Forgive me if I'm overstepping my boundaries, but don't you only cover your hair with a headband? Does that make such a difference for a migraine? And on the other hand, why would you be reluctant to take it off, since most of your hair is uncovered anyway and doing so will make you feel better?

mimivan

Post Sat, Sep 29 2007, 11:54 pm
Not to make light of it, since I respect Ruchel's psak (although it surprised me)...I actually found a headband helped during my last migrane...worked like a tourniquet...

(I was desperate...nursing, can't take anything decent... you know...)

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 12:04 am
Quote:
Yes, it is important!
A rav gave me a heter to clean the floors during the nine days (mainly for shalom bayis reasons). Anyway, someone questioned this heter and kind of gave me a hard time about it. I began to question it myself, decided not to clean the floors and dh and I had a HUGE fight over the dirtyfloors on Erev Tisha b'Av. I almost couldn't eat before the fast, I was so upset!

Every psak is hasgocha protis! Follow it!
since when can't you wash floors in the nine days?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 12:16 am
Some wise guy told me it was assur...(after the Rav told me it was okay..)

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 6:09 am
GAMZu wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Piper wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Forgive me if I'm overstepping my boundaries, but don't you only cover your hair with a headband? Does that make such a difference for a migraine? And on the other hand, why would you be reluctant to take it off, since most of your hair is uncovered anyway and doing so will make you feel better?

I cover my hair with a bandana. Yes, the pressure from the elastic stuff can make a HUGE difference. I am very reluctant to uncover my hair in public even if it makes me feel better, so b'h I was told to do it. Even if I was only wearing a headband, the whole thing is that I am wearing something vs nothing. It's not about hiding the hair. Do you see what I mean? It's like the ladies with a hat. Tons of hair is showing, but they always wear the hat outside the house and wouldn't think of not doing it.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 4:06 pm
Ruchel wrote:
What was wrong: exhaustion, head aches, insomnia at night coupled with wanting to sleep at day, yo-yo weight for no reason
How they figured: through exams, blood tests and switching docs and hospitals several times Exploding anger
They thought it was: normal exhaustion, then blood loss, then anaemia, then in my head ( Mad ), then hormonal imbalance then b'h the right thing: hormonal and thyroid not working enough.
I went through treatments for most of these things, no result, but when b'h we found the right guy it started working almost overnight. You can't imagine how furious at myself I am for losing all the progress.

And forgetting things too?

Sounds like it could be a vitamin B deficiency... Have you tried taking a supplement?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 6:31 pm
Perhaps the whole idea is tempering. If Ruchel can do it, good for her.

My didn't-stay-frum ladyfriend still worries me.....
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics