Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
After school/extracurricular classes

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, May 20 2017, 11:55 pm
(I am the same OP as the working women thread where I was thinking of starting a group as an alternative to finding one for my kids to join. So now I'm looking at it from the parenting angle)

If your kids ages 5-8 go to Sunday or after-school classes,
1. What type?
2. What cost? (materials included or separate?)
3. What level of professionalism? (e.g. if they're going to an engineering club do you expect it to be run by a science PhD? If it's cooking class, are you disappointed if they make cookies? Mostly I'm wondering how much the cost of the class varies according to the level of sophistication which is why I want to see these answers side by side.)

Personally if I'm sending my child to gymnastics or something, I would only want fully professional teachers and equipment because it's more of a physical health thing. But I could see a lot more variation in something like art or drama. I'm wondering what's already out there.

I'll start with what my kids used to go to that isn't available anymore:
1. Crafts and dance.
2. I don't remember exactly, I think it was $200 for the semester for both.
3. Not so professional but the kids had a great time. The program was supervised by adults but run by older teens. The crafts were simple but varied so the kids were doing something totally different each time, which they enjoyed (there was a lot of "decorate a ____" using paint markers or the like.) The dance was like what we might have called "simcha dancing" back in the day though I haven't really seen "simcha dancing" referenced as an art or exercise form for at least fifteen years, is it just me?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children