Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Give guests wifi password?
Previous  1  2

agreer

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 1:32 pm
Change the password and give it to the guests.

cm

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 1:37 pm
Here ya go: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-s.....72959

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:24 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
No. I think it's rude not to give it. It's rude to even think of not giving it.

You do realize that if they come back a week later and park in front of your house and access kiddy [filth] you are liable
Caveat Emptor as they say

Mevater

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:
You do realize that if they come back a week later and park in front of your house and access kiddy [filth] you are liable

Just as probable as the world coming to an end.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:34 pm
amother wrote:

No. you're not. In fact, such use is probably illegal on his part, even if he's just using it to read tehillim online.

But in any case, why on earth would you think anyone would park in front of your house (in a car, in full view) to access kiddy [filth]. That's just absurd.

sleepybeauty

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 3:15 pm
amother wrote:

You have far bigger concerns if you let this person stay in your house.
I always give the wifi password, it's uncomfortable for guests to ask for things. I also see who's connected to my network, I can always change the password if I suspect people are using it who shouldn't be.

lucky14

Post Thu, Jun 01 2017, 11:53 pm
amother wrote:
I meant that the password for the wifi in my house is also used as the password for some of my online accounts (email, bank, etc.). Therefore, while I'm happy to let guests use my home wifi, I don't want them to have the actual password, which could be used to access other personal accounts of mine.

as others are saying you should not use the same password for multiple accounts. You should not use your banking password for anything else. I strongly strongly advise you to change the passwords on all your accounts.
for even stronger security it's advised to change your passwords every so often.

I'd give my guests my wifi password. I wouldn't let questionable people be sleeping in the same house with my family.

mirror

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 12:03 am
My WiFi password is MonkeyBars123. Have fun! Cool

shoshanim999

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 1:02 am
amother wrote:

Do you have any basis to believe this is true, or are you just making things up?

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 2:02 am
For the most part I don't mind giving it out, but it definitely bothers me when people automatically expect that we will give it.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 2:43 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
Do you have any basis to believe this is true, or are you just making things up?

I have heard stores about Yeshiva boys who congregate around certain apartments in frum neighborhoods, looking for people who have unsecured wifi. They are probably not looking at child [filth], but for sure they have been caught looking at not so nice adult things.

Rabbis have sent out warnings to parents, and to certain apartment buildings that people have noticed attract these boys. Even if they're just watching R rated movies on Netflix, it's still an annoyance to have a bunch of teens parked around your building.

I agree that the answer is to set up a guest password, AND to change it after every guest.

For generic stuff online that I don't care about, I have a password that I can always remember. For sensitive stuff, I use a different password for each account, that is not a variation on any of my other passwords. (A common mistake when you use variations. Hackers can figure that out faster than you can blink.)

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 6:35 am
Does the data usage cost more if more people use it?

Jeanette

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 8:23 am
amother wrote:
For the most part I don't mind giving it out, but it definitely bothers me when people automatically expect that we will give it.

It really bothers me when guests just assume they can use my toilet paper.

Mevater

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 8:26 am
Jeanette wrote:

The best!

I think some people who are uncomfortable sharing basic things should reconsider inviting guests.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 8:40 am
Jeanette wrote:

Your toilet paper? My guests had the chutzpah to use my actual toilet!! The nerve!

Reesa

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 9:56 am
Why would you not give your password? I'm not even understanding the question. Please explain your reservations.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 10:00 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have heard stores about Yeshiva boys who congregate around certain apartments in frum neighborhoods, looking for people who have unsecured wifi. They are probably not looking at child [filth], but for sure they have been caught looking at not so nice adult things.

Wouldn't it be easier for them to go to Starbucks? Or the library? Both have free wifi.

cm

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 10:42 am
I think the concern is that by giving access to a secure account, you make it unsecure, no better than using the free WiFi at Starbucks. You do not log into bank accounts at Starbucks, for example, because unscrupulous people with some computer savvy could gather a lot of sensitive information. That's why we have secure WiFi at home. You don't know who is doing these things - yes, maybe even your friends and guests. Really. Best to have guest accounts for your visitors.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 7:39 pm
Jeanette wrote:

Lol. Not even remotely equivalent.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics