Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bnos Bracha Lakewood
1  2  3  Next

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 8:37 pm
What can you tell me about Bnos Bracha in Lakewood. What kind of parent body? How high of an academic level? Who runs the school? Do they have extra curricular activities? How big are the classes? What high schools do the girls go to? We are oot yeshivish. DH always wears white shirt, black pants, but he works ft and learns every extra minute. Would we fit in?
Are parents happy there? Is the administration easy or difficult to work with?
I am from Chicago. How similar or different is the school from JDBY? TIA

debsey

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 8:38 pm
Mrs. Murik and her daughter run it.

Reputation is warm, kind, responsive school, and not a very pressurized academic environment.

It's frum without being very right-wing yeshivish.

(I don't send there, but I have friends who do and who are happy)

balibusta

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 8:38 pm
I think mrs murik org from chicago and was principal there maybe..sounds like good choice for u

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 8:57 pm
Is Mrs Murik still involved in the day to day running?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 6:31 am
Bump

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 6:43 am
amother wrote:
Is Mrs Murik still involved in the day to day running?

I think her daughter Mrs. Malinowitz has taken over alot of this.

I have nieces in Bnos Bracha. It's a warm and caring environment. I have actually been quite impressed with the lengths the school will take to be out there for a student (re: getting into high school.) I think the administration is there for the students and parents, and the communication is excellent.

The academics are not super-high (for example, I know a BF teacher who tutored a girl who switched from BB to BF, in order for her to catch up in the Hebrew/dikduk subjects) though the curriculum is reasonably on par with many BY-type schools.

The parent body is frum to yeshivish without being super RW. Students from BB go on to high schools across the Lakewood BY-type spectrum - BY, BK, Oros, Shiras Devorah, etc....

In the 8th grade there are 2 classes with 50-odd students. I think in the younger grades there are 3 classes.

It sounds like you could be very happy there.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 6:49 am
Chayalle wrote:

The academics are not super-high (for example, I know a BF teacher who tutored a girl who switched from BB to BF, in order for her to catch up in the Hebrew/dikduk subjects) though the curriculum is reasonably on par with many BY-type schools.

That's what's holding me back from applying there for my daughter. It's supposed to be a wonderful school but a little too low-pressure for me - I don't need super-great academics, but the BB girls often do have trouble getting into and then adjusting to high school due to their lack of skills and knowledge (my 11th grade niece in a not-super-academic HS says her BB classmates are still getting tutored to catch up). I've heard that they're trying to improve that but I haven't been able to verify it.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 6:56 am
amother wrote:
That's what's holding me back from applying there for my daughter. It's supposed to be a wonderful school but a little too low-pressure for me - I don't need super-great academics, but the BB girls often do have trouble getting into and then adjusting to high school due to their lack of skills and knowledge (my 11th grade niece in a not-super-academic HS says her BB classmates are still getting tutored to catch up). I've heard that they're trying to improve that but I haven't been able to verify it.

I hear you. There certainly were areas in high school where I appreciated that my girls went to BF - it was much more smooth sailing in subjects like Yedios Klalios, Dikduk, Ivris, and math.

I will say that I myself went to a lousy elementary school (not just academically) and to a top high school. I caught up without formal tutoring (though my older brother helped me alot initially). If a student is academically inclined and motivated, they will pick up the pace in high school.

sky

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 7:01 am
I Have heard BB has improved their academics a lot since their earlier years.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 7:24 am
Im hearing of another "low key " school Bnos Penina. Whats the difference?
For both schools I hear great things and scare tactics, dont you dare send your daughter. Any practical examples would be great in deciding.

LO

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 8:45 am
We are pretty similar to you (based on your description) and are very happy at BB. Feel free to PM with specific questions.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 12:10 pm
The academics are currently on a low level though I cannot comment on what was in the past. There is a strong focus on plays, performances, and projects. They encourage creativity and team work as opposed to high level textual studies and covering a lot of information. The atmosphere in general is laid back and easy going. Mrs. Murik is not really there anymore except for occasional ceremonial roles at performances and her daughter has pretty much taken over. Many teachers are quite young and they may not have the experience necessary to recognize or guide you with problems. On the other hand, they are often eager and sweet and warm. Communication with administration can be challenging. They are not easy to reach immediately and return phone calls can take a while. You have to be very persistent.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:42 pm
Bump, any changes since posts in 2017?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:00 pm
Don’t know if there have been any changes since last year but my daughter is in primary there and we are super thrilled so far. There has been a personal complicated situation recently and the school was absolutely amazing about it. Super impressed more and more each day.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 4:41 am
Their academics have greatly improved. While my high school daughter did have a harder time adjusting to high school, their curriculum has changed and I feel like my younger girls will not have that issue. What did not change is the emphasis on each girls confidence and self esteem. I don’t know if another school that makes all girls feel great about themselves and makes sure they all have a place. I feel like the confidence Bnos Brocha instills in their girls makes up for some lack in academics.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 6:51 am
I posted above about being concerned about the academics. I heard that they’ve improved but still not up to par with other schools.

We did end up applying there and were treated very badly, surprisingly. And according to my daughter’s Morah we weren’t the only ones. There’s a lot of unrest among the administrative staff that probably doesn’t filter down to the girls but I was left with a very bad taste from the school. My daughter wound up in a different school and we are very happy.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:41 am
amother wrote:
I posted above about being concerned about the academics. I heard that they’ve improved but still not up to par with other schools.

We did end up applying there and were treated very badly, surprisingly. And according to my daughter’s Morah we weren’t the only ones. There’s a lot of unrest among the administrative staff that probably doesn’t filter down to the girls but I was left with a very bad taste from the school. My daughter wound up in a different school and we are very happy.

I’m really sorry about your experience, and happy you’re in place you like.

What do you mean by unrest?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:45 am
amother wrote:
Their academics have greatly improved. While my high school daughter did have a harder time adjusting to high school, their curriculum has changed and I feel like my younger girls will not have that issue. What did not change is the emphasis on each girls confidence and self esteem. I don’t know if another school that makes all girls feel great about themselves and makes sure they all have a place. I feel like the confidence Bnos Brocha instills in their girls makes up for some lack in academics.

Why, what kind of special confidence is it compared to other schools?

oneofakind

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:15 am
Some of the teachers have been there for years and are excellent. The crowd is a nice mix of low key people, some more yeshivish, some less. I have two close friends sending there and are both very happy. Also, they are opening their own high school so that's a big plus.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:31 am
amother wrote:
I’m really sorry about your experience, and happy you’re in place you like.

What do you mean by unrest?

Thanks. I’m over it LOL but we encountered a lot of bizarre behaviors that made me very uneasy about the school.

I don’t want to get into details but there’s a lot of disagreement between the administration and the principal. I found some of their behavior to be disturbing and I heard similar sentiments from the Vaad and from others who are involved.

But even through all that, I am still impressed by the girls that they turn out and just about everyone I know who sends there is happy.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics