Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Shabbos afternoon program for 5/6th grade girls

LO

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 6:43 am
Hi all!

We are new-ish to our neighborhood, and my 10yr old twin girls don't have many friends in the area. Plus, now that the afternoons are getting long, they are very bored on Shabbos, and I am trying to solve both problems at the same time (hopefully) by trying to create some sort of program for girls their age. I would ask other ladies to take turns with me, but I am prepared to do it every week if that's what it takes.

I was thinking a short shiur (no more than 15 min) on Pirkei Avos, and then may be a game or two, and nosh. And then people can stay and play board games, etc.

Here are the questions I have:

1. Where do you think I can get material to to teach that would be age appropriate?
2. What games would be good for that age?
3. What else can I do that's fun?
4. Any other ways I can help my girls meet other girls in the area? They are a bit too old for me to just arrange playdates....Sad

Thanks for all your input! I am good at making stuff happen, but not so creative, so I would be so grateful for any suggestions you may have!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 6:52 am
If you are thinking of teaching a bit of Pirkei Avos, Artscroll has an excellent illustrated Pirkei Avos with pictures, stories, translation, etc.... I have one that I use to say PA with my 9 year old daughter, and she likes to read the commentary herself.

I was a Bnos leader as a teen, and wonder if Bnos Agudas Yisrael would have materials that can help you. I remember that they gave us manuals with game ideas, Parsha, stories....I still have one somewhere.....

Aside from the group idea you are proposing (which is great), there was a time when my girls were bored, so I simply let the news spread that there would be Shabbos party in our house for the neighborhood girls. My girls were a little younger than 10, then....but the kids came. My house was just known as the place for a snack-stop, ices, etc...so my girls were included in everyone's Shabbos visits. I left them to their own play devices (there was a time I tried a similar group, but for various reasons it didn't last.)

LO

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 6:59 am
Chayalle, I like your idea about doing it informally, but I don't know if the girls will come if they don't know my kids....Although they DO know me, because I am the Bnos coordinator in my area, so may be that is worth a try....Smile

Thanks for the suggestions!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 7:00 am
LO wrote:
I am the Bnos coordinator in my area

Applause

LO

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 11:56 am
Anyone else have any ideas?

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 1:22 pm
We used to go visit the local nursing home on shabbos afternoon.

Pirkei avos is also good, we did that too.

A nice parsha shiur (maybe use Little Midrash Says books) could also work.

Food is a must!

LO

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 6:32 am
Any ideas for games or other activities? I think the girls felt like the games they played in Bnos were too babyish for them....I was thinking that in my house they can play board games (I have quite a few), or may be make a game using pirkei avos (like show a picture and have everyone choose a mishnah that it reminds them of)....

Would love to hear from all the creative ladies! Smile

sky

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 6:59 am
So I have boys that age (my girls are younger) - and my house is very busy on shabbos - maybe it is different with boys.
- We have lots of board games and card games - popular now is ticket to ride\Catan\Life\Monopoly\Clue (they play by memory) etc. somtimes banagrams
- I put out bowls of chips or popcorn when they play - it seems to make it more exciting
- Provide decent shabbos party (not over the top - but enough that it is exciting).
- They also play outside a lot. The boys play ball, tag, hide and seek, free fall, capture the flag. The girls play similar games plus Chinese jump rope, jump rope, (sometimes I'm nice and turn or hold)

Truth is my boys would go to friends houses but I find the mothers are sleeping and there is little supervision so I try to provide a fun house so the kids congregate here. It seems to work.

One mother in the neighborhood used to have tehillim groups shabbos afternoon. Each kid who said a tehillim booklet got a nice treat. She had boys and girls hours and the kids liked going.

LO

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 7:07 am
Great ideas! Please keep game ideas coming! Smile I need to have at least one thing planned per Shabbos, and then the rest we can definitely do free play, tehillim, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children