Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Point of real gold jewelry in a world of very good fakes?
Previous  1  2

shyshira

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 11:55 am
acemom wrote:

BTW, as far as I know, the band on the diamond ring is not white gold usually but another element or combination of gold and other stuff. I could be wrong though.

Gold not mixed with any other metals is yellow. Pure gold, 24K gold is always yellow. Wedding bands, or any other 'white gold' jewelry is an alloy (mix) of gold an another metal (the alloy). A 19K white gold ring - will be a mix of gold an a white metal. Google tells me its 79.2% pure gold, 20.8% alloy.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 11:56 am
A small pendant necklace is timeless. For example, a heart or circle. Not all butterflies are strictly childish.

I also think necklaces are less likely to get lost than a ring or even bracelet, but anything can happen.

water_bear88

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 12:34 pm
There's a trick I've heard and read about for polishing silver, whether it's a sterling silver necklace or a kiddush cup, involving aluminum foil, baking soda, and boiling water. You can google for instructions. It's supposed to be much better for your silver than traditional polishing as the traditional way takes off a layer of silver atoms every time you do it while the aluminum method reverses the chemical process that causes tarnishing. The other advantage is it should work on delicate silver items and get into the crevices that are normally hard to polish.

das

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 1:33 pm
I have never had good luck with fakes, even expensive ones. My real jewelery look new many years later.

acemom

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 2:43 pm
shyshira wrote:
Gold not mixed with any other metals is yellow. Pure gold, 24K gold is always yellow. Wedding bands, or any other 'white gold' jewelry is an alloy (mix) of gold an another metal (the alloy). A 19K white gold ring - will be a mix of gold an a white metal. Google tells me its 79.2% pure gold, 20.8% alloy.

I didn't remember the right word I wanted to use. Thanks for reminding me.

The composition of the alloy in most diamond rings is made up of a much smaller percentage of pure gold than standard pieces of jewelry.
It's why the band of many diamond rings turn yellow while most other white gold jewelry don't.

That is what I was told by someone familiar with these things. I could be wrong though (or maybe forgetting the exact explanation embarrassed)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars