Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
When to start deodorant

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 12:25 pm
My dd is almost 10 and knows that we use deodorant and asked if she can start using it because she feels she smells.
Should I start?I guess if I would start I would want a non smell one. Any ideas?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 12:42 pm
Why ever not? When dd was 9, she expressed interest (she didn't really need it yet). We went to the store and she picked out a couple that she liked. Why unscented? Dd particularly likes the fruity scented ones.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 12:46 pm
My six year old uses it. I use weleda spray on him. I like the citrus cent.

simcha2

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 1:27 pm
You may want to get her an aluminum free one if you are concerned about a health issue.

Just a head's up, change in body odor is frequently the first sign of puberty (which goes on for several years), so if you
haven't talked to her about body changes now would be a good time.

gold21

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 1:35 pm
Around age 10 is a good age to start. The child doesn't have to wear it regularly, only when he or she feels the need. It's probably needed most in the warmer months at that age. I would recommend a rub-on deoderant stick, I think it's easier for kids to use than the spray is.

By 11/12, the child should probably be wearing regularly.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 1:37 pm
What simcha2 said.

At that age your DD's skin is likely to be more sensitive. I'd go with a very mild, natural deodorant, like Tom's of Maine or similar. I remember that I broke out from using spray deodorant when I was young.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 2:19 pm
Start when there is a need. I can't believe children wearing it for fun or whatever.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 3:16 pm
I constantly have to remind my 12 year old ds to put on deodorant . Especially on shabbes when he wears a suit (he doesn't wanna wear just a suit or a tank top)
I have deodorants in every toilet and next to his bed and he still doesn't use it if I don't tell him to.
I recently started telling him to smell himself under his arm... Hope he'll get it

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 7:27 am
amother wrote:
I have deodorants in every toilet

I recently started telling him to smell himself under his arm

shock

essie14

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 11:39 am
We have deodorant in the kids bathroom, they each have in their room and we have right by the front door so we can remind the boys to use it before they leave the house.
10 years old is perfect age to start. If your child feels he/she smells, why ever not let them use it?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 12:35 pm
We started with Tom's of Maine around age 10. If she's asking it's a good time to start.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 3:03 pm
If you're asking, then it's time. Smile

Blue jay

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 3:10 pm
amother wrote:
We started with Tom's of Maine around age 10. If she's asking it's a good time to start.

Thats funny, we started with the same brand in our family!

I don't feel my dd is ready for the heavy duty "Ban" brand yet! Smile ( she is a preteen)

tigerwife

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 6:05 pm
amother wrote:
My dd is almost 10 and knows that we use deodorant and asked if she can start using it because she feels she smells.
Should I start?I guess if I would start I would want a non smell one. Any ideas?

What are your reservations about starting, especially if she feels she smells?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children