Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
If you are a teacher or your dh is a rebbe....
1  2  Next

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 1:11 pm
What do you/he like getting from parents for end of year gifts? What was your favorite or most meaningful gift?

My price range is $20-$30. But don't want to look cheap!

I'm so bad at this. Appreciate any suggestions.

Also is it ok to give the same gift to different teachers (from different kids)?

sim

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 1:55 pm
A sincere thank you note, written from the heart. Even nicer when you write about a particular way the teacher helped your child or made his/her year a good one. Anything else is icing on the cake.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 2:16 pm
sim wrote:
A sincere thank you note, written from the heart. Even nicer when you write about a particular way the teacher helped your child or made his/her year a good one. Anything else is icing on the cake.

THIS!

After that, cash is always in style, the right color, flavor, etc.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 2:18 pm
We get and give nothing (I've been English mora for various classes and he's been kodesh more for various classes). I mean, we are PAID.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 3:18 pm
Thanks! I appreciate all of the sentiments above.

Re cash. Yes I hear but I somehow feel that if I'm giving cash, I can't just give $20? Idk feels too cheap.

Re getting paid. Yes I hear, but I was lucky this year that my kids had some really amazing, dedicated teachers and rabbeim and I want them to know they are appreciated.

Yes we'll def write notes, just wanted something to go with it?

doctorima

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 3:22 pm
A gift certificate to a Judaica store would certainly be practical and appreciated.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 3:30 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks! I appreciate all of the sentiments above.

Re cash. Yes I hear but I somehow feel that if I'm giving cash, I can't just give $20? Idk feels too cheap.

Re getting paid. Yes I hear, but I was lucky this year that my kids had some really amazing, dedicated teachers and rabbeim and I want them to know they are appreciated.

Yes we'll def write notes, just wanted something to go with it?

I agree about cash feeling weird. I prefer gift certificates to cash. I would give a gift certificate to amazon, a mall, bookstore, pizza place or ice cream place or something like that. gifts you could give: an orchid, a box of chocolates or a tea set.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 3:47 pm
We have a nice little coffee shop in the neighborhood. I was thinking of getting gift certs for the rebbe and morah. Would that be ok?

Seas

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 3:54 pm
From experience both mine and DH, firstly you don't have to give anything and nothing is expected. However if you did want to give, gift vouchers aren't nicer or less cheap than the cash equivalent, only more restrictive.

If your budget is 20 just give that in cash along with a nice note.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 4:15 pm
mha3484 wrote:
We have a nice little coffee shop in the neighborhood. I was thinking of getting gift certs for the rebbe and morah. Would that be ok?

I think that is very nice

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 4:24 pm
What about a bottle of wine for rebbeim, would you think that's weird or nice?

Eemaof3

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 7:10 pm
Bottle of wine is great. Speaking from experience. Gift cards are good. I just got that most beautiful note from a mom and that means the world to me!

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 7:16 pm
Seas wrote:
From experience both mine and DH, firstly you don't have to give anything and nothing is expected. However if you did want to give, gift vouchers aren't nicer or less cheap than the cash equivalent, only more restrictive.

If your budget is 20 just give that in cash along with a nice note.

cash look like a 'tip' or compensation. a giftcard... is a gift.. right there in the name!

Also based on what I've read here - in some schools there is an expectation.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 7:45 pm
Thanks for the help!

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 8:11 pm
I always give something homemade on a platter (or bought, if they are makpid) along with a very nice note plus a giftcard, depending on the occasion (usually Chanukah and end of the year).

As a teacher, I have always appreciated the notes the most. Especially the ones that the kids helped decorate (I teach 3-4 year olds). Wink If a parent chooses to give something anyway, cash or giftcards are always helpful, but definitely not the "ikkur" for me or anything that I expect.

Seas

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
cash look like a 'tip' or compensation. a giftcard... is a gift.. right there in the name!

And what's wrong with a tip?

We always tip rebbes and teachers in cash. That way they can decide for themselves what you spend it on.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 8:33 pm
mha3484 wrote:

Idk, only if you are sure it's a place they'd like to go to. I live in your town and neither DH or I have ever stepped foot in there. When I get gifts like these they are pretty useless for me and I just give them to a relative who would actually use it. I think it depends a lot on the individual teacher.
(Same for Amazon gift cards btw. Only give to a teacher who you know uses internet regularly!)

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 8:38 pm
Seas wrote:
And what's wrong with a tip?

We always tip rebbes and teachers in cash. That way they can decide for themselves what you spend it on.

I think there is a difference between a tip/compensation and a gift. Is there something wrong with a tip? In my school, yes. In other schools its practically mandatory.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 10:00 pm
amother wrote:

Are you a teacher? Are you saying this based on experience?

tichellady wrote:
agree about cash feeling weird. prefer gift certificates to cash. would give a gift certificate to amazon, a mall, bookstore, pizza place or ice cream place or something like that. gifts you could give: an orchid, a box of chocolates or a tea set.

And are you a teacher?

I'm a teacher and I HATE gift cards. Cash any day. If you have a personal issue with giving cash at least give a visa gift card. Giving a gift card or gift certificate to a specific store means that I must find something in that store (or stores), it must be within the right price range - not much more because there's no point if I need to add my own money, but not much less because then what will I do with the leftover money on the card, and very often these cards expire within a year so I need to remember I have it and use it during that time frame. One year I was pregnant so didn't do much shopping and then reminded myself about a gift card when my baby was 2 months old. I didn't want the $60 to go into the garbage so I shlepped out with my crying newborn and bought a toy for my older kid. It was really pointless and I remember feeling resentful that I *had* to use it up. we could have done way better with cash.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 11:30 pm
I'm a teacher and while the notes and everything are awesome to receive I do appreciate the gifts also (it seems like everyone always says a note is all that's really important). Anyway I don't expect anything from anyone, but if you're able to it's always appreciated- I mean who doesn't like to get presents? Please don't pounce on me for saying this- I want to emphasize that I'm not saying people have to give teachers anything, just that, like any present, it is appreciated.

Gift cards to Target or Amazon are what I appreciate most. Amazon isn't a good idea if you don't know if the teacher shops online. I've gotten gift cards for restaurants I wouldn't normally go to but I've used them to pick up something for my husband.
Gift cards to more specific specialty stores prob. aren't the best idea unless you know the person specifically likes to shop there (that goes for giving gift cards to anyone anytime).

Other gifts I've enjoyed have been a set of pretty shot glasses and a potted plant. But one of my co-workers was so annoyed with getting the plant since it was just one more thing she'd have to take care of, so I guess that isn't the right present for everyone.

A bottle of wine sounds nice (I think either you or someone else mentioned that).

Cash is fine, but a gift card just has a nicer presentation then cash.

no matter what though don't worry about the amount you're giving.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children