Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Are light up shoes appropriate for fourth grader?

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 4:58 am
I ordered geox sneakers for my ds. They ended up being light up sneakers (& too big), my son was really excited that they were light up, I told him that I needed to reorder a smaller size & would see if they were available, but are light up sneakers considered "cool" for a fourth grader, or babyish? I don't want other kids to make him feel uncomfortable! we're in Brooklyn if that makes a difference, thanks!!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 7:34 am
What? definitely cool. Often worn by older kids.

DrMom

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 7:37 am
amother wrote:
I ordered geox sneakers for my ds. They ended up being light up sneakers (& too big), my son was really excited that they were light up, I told him that I needed to reorder a smaller size & would see if they were available, but are light up sneakers considered "cool" for a fourth grader, or babyish? I don't want other kids to make him feel uncomfortable! we're in Brooklyn if that makes a difference, thanks!!

Not sure what's "cool" in your neighborhood, but it seems he really likes the idea... Maybe that should be the deciding factor?

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 8:33 am
DrMom wrote:
Not sure what's "cool" in your neighborhood, but it seems he really likes the idea... Maybe that should be the deciding factor?

It definitely should be, but sometimes kids are clueless and then can get made fun of for it, so a wise mom can help prevent that. My oldest son, for example, is really clueless about style and fashion. He's also a really good boy and will wear whatever I give him. There are certain things that I would like him to wear and he would be fine wearing them, but I don't buy them for him because I don't want him to be a target.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 1:27 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
It definitely should be, but sometimes kids are clueless and then can get made fun of for it, so a wise mom can help prevent that. My oldest son, for example, is really clueless about style and fashion. He's also a really good big boy and will wear whatever I give him. There are certain things that I would like him to wear and he would be fine wearing them, but I don't buy them for him because I don't want him to be a target.
-yes, this exactly, thank you

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 3:17 pm
Is there any chance that he will be wearing these shoes on Shabbos such as to go to the park? Then light up shoes would be problematic.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 3:31 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Is there any chance that he will be wearing these shoes on Shabbos such as to go to the park? Then light up shoes would be problematic.

I'll say it. I haven't seen kids that age wearing light-up shoes. Mostly I see them on toddlers, maybe as old as kindergarten.

I'd tell him that you'd prefer shoes that don't light up, so he can wear them to the park on Shabbat. And leave it at that.

momX4

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 3:34 pm
My ds wore lights up Geox sneakers that age. They placed a little rectangle in the box that can be used to replace the light up part.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 4:29 pm
No

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 4:46 pm
I would share my concerns directly with the child. It would be shame to deny him the pleasure of having light-up shoes based on a potential risk of being made fun of.

(also I think most versions of these shoes 'turn off' in some way - so if it turns out that fourth grader thought he'd be okay with a bit if teasing, and he's not... you turnoff the light).

This is different than the example of picking out clothes for a child who doesn't care what he wears.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Jun 10 2017, 10:50 pm
Thanks for all the advice! The lights don't seem to have a way to shut off. anyone here live in Brooklyn that has an opinion? Another issue is that it's difficult to find nice velcro sneakers his size (he has a really hard time with laces) aside from geox, & most colorful geox seem to be lightup!

BetsyTacy

Post Sat, Jun 10 2017, 11:26 pm
I don't know if this is really true but perhaps professor google can help. There used to be the idea that putting the sneaker in the microwave for a few seconds would kill the light up aspect of a shoe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children