Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Are day camps over stimulating?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Emotional

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:
The problem is kids either don't want to or feel stupid missing overnights but the aftermath is a disaster. Last year my 6 year old had a late night. They got home like ten. It was ridiculous. There really aren't many choices in Lakewood as the kids get older.

There are plenty of low-key backyard camps for 6-year-olds... beyond maybe second or third grade, though, you're right that the choices narrow.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 2:20 pm
Emotional wrote:
When I was in day camp in the 80's & 90's, camp was definitely less fancy than it is today - no pre-recorded soundtracks for the head counselors to sing with while dressed in funky costumes etc - but the constant screaming and cheering was always an issue.

My husband worked in frum camps. We both went to camps. Our kids go. I don't relate.

Emotional

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 2:26 pm
Ruchel wrote:
My husband worked in frum camps. We both went to camps. Our kids go. I don't relate.

If I'm not mistaken you live in Europe? It must be the camps are run differently there. Maybe some of the camps here can learn something lol...

miami85

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 3:22 pm
You may have to find a different day camp for your kid(s). Often the "backyard" variety is more calm and gentle, smaller and works better for the kids that get "overstimulated". Or find a "specialty camp" that focuses on your child's interest--baking, crafts, skills etc.

The more official camps are often trying to give the kids that "have to stay home all summer" that AMAZING EXPERIENCE that the kids who go up to the bungalow have by going away (though the camps there tend to be "simple camps" overall) so they jam pack the programming. A long-time "School of thought" regarding camps is that its better to "plan too much" and not get to everything, then to have downtime and have kids complain about being bored.

Then again you should also try to find camps that your daughter's friends are going to--might "Sweeten" the deal. She might be upset if her friends are doing other things than she is.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 3:27 pm
There are all kinds of camp. My kids go to a camp the last few years with tons of field trips and constant movement from activity to activity. Other camps they've gone to in the past were more low key. One was focuses on art and drama, they were in the same two rooms all day and not all that physically active. Sports camps they got plenty of exercise, but it was still more focuses and not traveling around places. If you must send your child to camp, try to find one that suits her. Definitely doesn't have to be overstimulating.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 3:49 pm
Emotional wrote:
When I was in day camp in the 80's & 90's, camp was definitely less fancy than it is today - no pre-recorded soundtracks for the head counselors to sing with while dressed in funky costumes etc - but the constant screaming and cheering was always an issue.

I'm older. And yes, camps were different when I was a kid. But not in the way that you mean. Our day camp was massive. It was an old farm. We had 3 pools, 3 or 4 baseball fields, 6 or 7 volleyball courts, several basketball courts, dozens of tetherball courts, archery, riflery, a lake with boating and fishing, music, dance, arts and crafts, horseback riding on Fridays, a wagon for hayrides, and who knows what else. It was owned by 2 public school teachers (a"h), and was geared to mostly blue collar families. No one could afford to run a camp like that now.

So now the camps are smaller, and have fewer activities, but they take you to an amusement park once a summer. I'm not seeing the big difference.

Anyway, my kids all went to camp, and the older ones have been counselors. Their experience is that the kids enjoy these things. They don't see kids who are utterly destroyed because they were out until 9 pm, or participated in an overnight (where the counselors WANT them to sleep!). But it your kids are, that's fine. There are camps that don't do those things.

Emotional

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 3:57 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Anyway, my kids all went to camp, and the older ones have been counselors. Their experience is that the kids enjoy these things. They don't see kids who are utterly destroyed because they were out until 9 pm, or participated in an overnight (where the counselors WANT them to sleep!). But it your kids are, that's fine. There are camps that don't do those things.

I'm not doubting that most kids enjoy these things. I think the OP is asking, if such camps exist for the sensory, introverted child who needs more low-key fun, where are they?

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 4:01 pm
If OP is in Lakewood then I don't think she'll find any lower key day camps.

Emotional

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
If OP is in Lakewood then I don't think she'll find any lower key day camps.

My daughter who HATES noise and cheering was very happy in Camp Aquasaynu for two years. They ran for three weeks in August. It was a day camp for girls grades 5-7 and focused mainly on water activities. Small group, maybe 15 girls or so. Last summer they didn't open for some reason. I don't know about this summer, but if anyone wants to pm me for their phone number, I still have it.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 5:55 pm
amother wrote:
The problem is kids either don't want to or feel stupid missing overnights but the aftermath is a disaster. Last year my 6 year old had a late night. They got home like ten. It was ridiculous. There really aren't many choices in Lakewood as the kids get older.

I agree, it's really crazy what's going on in the Lakewood camps. And everyone I know complains about it, and every year there are articles or letters to the editors about it and the camps claim that EVERYONE wants it. Just this week there was a letter to the editor in one of the publications, written by the head of a camp, I felt like I was reading something written by a twelve year old. It was all about how the kids want it, and they deserve it, because they work so hard all year. Really?!

I don't know about him, but my kids don't get whatever they want. And they don't deserve anything for going to school, definitely not a trip a week and overnights, and slush all day long from the camps' slush machine and whatever else is going on.

Emotional

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 6:06 pm
amother wrote:
I agree, it's really crazy what's going on in the Lakewood camps. And everyone I know complains about it, and every year there are articles or letters to the editors about it and the camps claim that EVERYONE wants it. Just this week there was a letter to the editor in one of the publications, written by the head of a camp, I felt like I was reading something written by a twelve year old. It was all about how the kids want it, and they deserve it, because they work so hard all year. Really?!

I don't know about him, but my kids don't get whatever they want. And they don't deserve anything for going to school, definitely not a trip a week and overnights, and slush all day long from the camps' slush machine and whatever else is going on.

This is not a problem with "the Lakewood camps". This is in Brooklyn, in Toronto, in Monsey, in sleepaway camps in the Catskills...

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 6:13 pm
Emotional wrote:
I'm not doubting that most kids enjoy these things. I think the OP is asking, if such camps exist for the sensory, introverted child who needs more low-key fun, where are they?

Yet everyone is going on about how terrible this is, and how children and parents don't want it.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 12:41 am
gold21 wrote:

Overnights for kids coming out of 4th grade? Really? In what universe is that necessary... .

camp in general isn't necessary, unless its the only childcare option.

Most overnight camps that I'm familiar with have units that start with kids going of 3rd grade.

For most kids - overnight camp is a wonderful experience... and the more summers you can get it.. why not?

gold21

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 12:50 am
amother wrote:
camp in general isn't necessary, unless its the only childcare option.

Most overnight camps that I'm familiar with have units that start with kids going of 3rd grade.

For most kids - overnight camp is a wonderful experience... and the more summers you can get it.. why not?

I consider summer camp to be a necessity for my family. Is it a necessity the same way bread and water is, no, but it's a necessity in it's own way. For my family. And for many families. No, I'm not speaking for every family.

Coming out of third grade is very young to be going to overnight camp. It just is.

Anyway, I'm talking about day camps that have overnights a few times a summer, not about overnight camp....

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 12:57 am
gold21 wrote:

Coming out of third grade is very young to be going to overnight camp. It just is.

Or it just isn't.

gold21

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 1:30 am
amother wrote:
Or it just isn't.

Well, this is a fun conversation... I imagine it can only get continuously more fun from here on in... Lol... The things we argue about with anonymous people on anonymous forums.... LOL

Anyway, yeah, it is very young for sleep away camp. Go poll some people if you're so inclined and get some real-time feedback. Some parents choose to send their children away when they are that age and it works out totally great. I have no problem with it. I have nothing against it. I'm 100 percent fine with it. If it works, great. But it often doesn't, and that's what I am addressing.

Tongue Out

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 2:10 am
gold21 wrote:
Well, this is a fun conversation... I imagine it can only get continuously more fun from here on in... Lol... The things we argue about with anonymous people on anonymous forums.... LOL

Anyway, yeah, it is very young for sleep away camp. Go poll some people if you're so inclined and get some real-time feedback. Some parents choose to send their children away when they are that age and it works out totally great. I have no problem with it. I have nothing against it. I'm 100 percent fine with it. If it works, great. But it often doesn't, and that's what I am addressing.

Tongue Out

I only responded because of your writing style "in what universe" sets me off. I'm not sure that anybody holds that its necessary to send an 8/9 year old to overnight camp... but that doesn't mean its the wrong thing to do if the kid is ready.

I don't need to do a poll. Most of my friends and their siblings started overnight camp at that age and had wonderful summers. I never thought of it as parents choosing to 'send their kids away' its always starts with a conversation with the child.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 2:11 am
Third and fourth grade is very young to go to overnight camp for a month!

In my experience, the kids who are sent at that age are usually a) from families where being at home is a worse option, b) kids whose parents work at camp, c) a couple of kids who are the oldest in their family, who convince their parents they want to go and the parents say ok because the kid is so sure they can handle it...

reality is, at that age it's about 10% of kids who can really handle it.

Almost everyone I know feels they were sent to overnight camp too early, if they went at those young ages, and they will not send their kids until 5th-6th.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 2:54 am
Ruchel wrote:
To consider for non Orthodox camp.
Mixed sport. Mixed SWIMMING. Outings you might not consider kosher. Snacks exchange, depending on age. Just saying.

I don't really care about the mixed swimming but I still wouldn't feel comfortable with my kids being the only orthodox children in camp.

gold21

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
I only responded because of your writing style "in what universe" sets me off. I'm not sure that anybody holds that its necessary to send an 8/9 year old to overnight camp... but that doesn't mean its the wrong thing to do if the kid is ready.

I don't need to do a poll. Most of my friends and their siblings started overnight camp at that age and had wonderful summers. I never thought of it as parents choosing to 'send their kids away' its always starts with a conversation with the child.

Im not sure that you followed my thought process in my initial post. To clarify:

I asked, in what universe is is necessary to have overnights in a DAY CAMP at that age. For the time being, I choose to send to day camp, not overnight camp, and I wondered, out loud, why overnights are necessary in day camp- don't you agree that there should be a camp option for children who aren't ready for overnights? So this was not a post about overnight camp.

As to the second point, we run in different circles, and that is fine. That's what makes this world a big colorful place. I don't know anyone (no, literally, I actually don't know anyone at all) who sends to overnight camp at that age- the youngest that people send around here is coming out of 5th grade, but the majority won't consider sending until a year later, coming out of 6th grade. But as I said, differences are what makes the world go round. And I'm totally completely fine with what works for you, I hope you're understanding of what works for me. Tongue Out
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children