Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
How can I make a simcha challah

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sat, Sep 29 2007, 11:43 pm
Need to make a simchah challah for nephews bris...you know...one of the huge ones...can anyone tell me how to do that one?

happyone

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 2:37 am
You can use the whole 5 or six pound dough. Divide in six. Braid as you usually would. Put into an oiled roaster. Take out the top rack in your oven (or top two if you have 3 racks.) and put onto the bottom rack. (oh, and egg as usual.)

lamplighter

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 12:52 pm
How long does it bake for?
I always wanted to know how to do this

farmom

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 11:24 pm
I made some huge ones this summer. I did use a special bread oven, not my regular oven, so not sure about baking times. Basically I just baked at the regular temp until it was golden on top. I checked to make sure it was done on the bottom. Came out delicious!

And if you are putting it on the bottom rack in your oven, you probably want to set the oven to a lower temperature than usual (say 325 instead of 350)

su7kids

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 11:38 pm
There is a book called The Taste of Challah by Tamar Ansh which I actually saw today and waht they did for a simcha challah was make 3 loaves.

They made an oval out of two of them, and the third one in the middle, on top.

I hope that makes sense.

farfromhome

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 9:57 am
does anyone know how long to bake a simcha challah in a regular oven for? I made two six braid loaves out of 5 pounds, and one time when I made a big one I was so embarrassed because the middle wasn't cooked all the way!

ShanaMatele

Post Mon, Oct 26 2009, 11:36 pm
farfromhome wrote:
does anyone know how long to bake a simcha challah in a regular oven for? I made two six braid loaves out of 5 pounds, and one time when I made a big one I was so embarrassed because the middle wasn't cooked all the way!

I know this is an old topic, but I would also like to know how long to bake a simcha challah, and any other tips on making it come out nicely, how to braid it, etc. Thanks!!

farfromhome

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 12:35 am
hi, I baked two six braid challahs from 5 pounds, on 300 degrees for about an hour and fifteen minutes but it may be longer/shorter depending on your oven. good luck!

momX3

Post Sat, May 02 2020, 10:55 pm
Reviving an old thread because I am trying to make a simchah challah for an upcoming simcha and need help. Has anyone made one recently in their own oven and did you do it on a regular baking sheet or in some type of big loaf pan. Also did you do all the 5 lbs into one challah or into two? Any other useful tips. I have never tried this before and would like it to be as nice as possible.

youngishbear

Post Sat, May 02 2020, 11:08 pm
I do have a large size metal pan for this purpose. I line it carefully with baking paper.

I prepare a 6 pound dough and use all of it or only 5 pounds, depending on the occasion.

My aunt's method works perfectly each time:
I divide the dough in half, and divide each of the halves in six.

I use one half of the dough to braid two sets of three longer strands each, and arrange the braids on the bottom sides of the pan. They should frame an empty space in the center of the pan (for the challah to grown down into). This stabilizes the shape and prevents it from tipping in any direction.

Then I braid the other six as a usual (large) challah. I place that on top of two braids.

Schmear with egg (more yolks than white for deeper color, if preferred) and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

I remove one shelf so the challah can have space to grow.

Rise and bake as usual (I leave it for 40 minutes on lowest oven setting 180 and then about an hour on 350). For extra crispness, take it out of the pan for the last few minutes of baking time.

ETA: I'm thinking that 6 pounds might be way too big for a simcha these days. It is really, really big. Our extended family couldn't finish it last time I made it. Maybe individual-sized challos would work better for groups of people who want to avoid sharing food.

Mazel tov and best of luck with your baking.

momX3

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 12:04 am
Thank you, this was very helpful. We don't really need such a big challah because it is just my immediate family (8), but I thought an extra big challah would help the simcha seem special especially when we are doing very little else. I may consider doing 1/2 of a 5lb instead of the whole 5lbs.

Also what temperature do you bake it at and for how long?

youngishbear

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 12:35 am
momX3 wrote:
Thank you, this was very helpful. We don't really need such a big challah because it is just my immediate family (8), but I thought an extra big challah would help the simcha seem special especially when we are doing very little else. I may consider doing 1/2 of a 5lb instead of the whole 5lbs.

Also what temperature do you bake it at and for how long?

Once braided and egged, I put it in the oven for 40 minutes on the lowest temperature the oven can be set to (170 or 180). This lets it rise.

Then I bake it on 350 for about an hour, a few minutes less if I plan to re-warm it in the oven closer to serving time.

fig

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 1:19 am
Buy disposable turkey pan to fit 5lbs
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads