Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Does my 4 yr old need therapy?

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 8:43 pm
She's a talkative friendly playful 4 yr old when she's home. Morah says she's very shy and doesn't respond to or initiate interaction with classmates- other than 1 girl. She's shy and slow to warm up to friends and extended family that she sees regularly. In a new environment she's like a brick wall. She breezed past the principal who greets the girls each morning and has never said hello to my neighbor who she sees everyday.
This weekend I took her to her first play date. A neighbor. She stood away from everyone including me and didn't move or say a word for 30 min while I hung around. I was ready to leave n asked if she wanted to stay. She nodded yes. The mom said she played nicely until I retrieved her 2 hrs later.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 8:46 pm
No. She is smart she doesn't open up to strangers! Gosh she is only four! Not a 10 year old.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 10:30 pm
For a child like this, I would recommend that you host the play dates in your home on your child's turf the give her an added comfort level. Also, invite the same two or three children so she will feel comfortable in the relationship, which will carry over into school. It is a good idea to have a structured activity to start the playdate which you can facilitate (ie. Project, arts and crafts, baking, etc.) To help the playdate get off to a good start. Once your child is warmed up, the children can go off on their own.

behappy2

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 6:28 am
This seems very normal unless it is a part of a list of a lot of other things.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 6:37 am
Just curious -is she your first?

I think you should do lots of play dates. Lots and lots. And maybe sign her up for an activity (swim lessons?) where she can be around other peers -without you - over the summer.

See what happens after she practices a bit more.

Smiling Wife

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 6:38 am
Possibly, only a.child.development professional could tell you

Here is my 2 cents...find someone who is highly recommended and who would do a.proper evaluation not a.one session thing...good therapists ( occupational therapist it seems or maybe a.child.development.therapist) will see her over a.few.sessions ..make a film perhaps...review it with you...not a one session thing.. it's worth the investment
It can possibly be nothing..just her personality..but if it's a developmental thing then a good therapist will give you tools to help her bloom in the best way possible for her.

salt

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 7:03 am
Nothing wrong. I would guess that she is your first, or that your older ones are extremely outgoing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children